JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't know if I just got lucky or what I bought my Kimber 1911 used at a pawn shop a few years ago.
I changed the grips added the rubber finger groves and bought a bunch of mags.
But everyone who shoots it.
Loves it girls guys old or young .
They love it and all shoot it really good .View attachment 677694
Nice assortment of flying ashtray holders! (45 acp mags)

Gotta run them wetter than my ex-wife. Works great in competitions using factory loads only, but nobody wants to carry them that wet... very liberally dosed on the rails and hammer with Red's Synthetic Gun Lube!!!

Remember the vid of that LEO that shot a perp something like 14 times with his .45ACP Glock??? Afterwards he switched to a 9mm Glock with a 17rd +1 and 4 extra mags. Thas a lot of potential right there.
Depends on shot placement and what the perp was on.

I can hit a man target with my glock19x.
But I'm not shooting anybody in the eye with it.
Maybe for head chin cheek neck high chest stomach shoulder leg .
Left foot right foot you get the picture.
Well let's just say they are not running far .LOL
Combat effective is all you need.

I realize that this is like putting in a word for the Studebaker V-8 when everybody else is talking about Fords, Chevies, and Mo-Pars, so here goes: My choice of the best carry pistol for me is the Steyr S9.
It has always worked for me and I can hit what I would need to for serious social work. At one event I shot a loaner equivalent Glock and could not get through a magazine without a malf. I was not limp-wristing it. I was using the Glock because the instructor wanted me to use the safety on the Steyr and my finger does not apply pressure in that force vector. (Note that using the Steyr without the safety is exactly like using the Glock that doesn't have it. Go figure) The Glock always worked for the owner. A Sig 229 belonging to a friend would not work reliably for me but exhibited flawless performance for her.
I would also note that everybody who has held the Steyr likes the feel and it worked fine for everybody who has shot it. The sight picture is love it or hate it. I love it. It's not what you would want for bullseye competition or precision at long range, but that's not what the gun was built for. At realistic SD/XD ranges it works just fine.

Gotta run them wetter than my ex-wife. Works great in competitions using factory loads only, but nobody wants to carry them that wet... very liberally dosed on the rails and hammer with Red's Synthetic Gun Lube!!!
Depends on shot placement and what the perp was on.

Slow down a bit Brother!!! .... Did that post make sense to you when you wrote it as a response to my post?

I can see you are having fun posting and don't want to discourage you, but really this didn't make sense to be within the context of an answer to my post. I was writing about @Alexx1401 saying/posting his 1911 won't run consistently and you start writing about hopped up perps taking bullets.... What you been smokin??? :p;):D

I'm wondering what the 'wet' perimeters need to be in the above commentary?

I've shot 1911s in lengthy matches @ 200 rounds without any indication of lube starvation. And since the 'new generations' of stay-on lubes over the past few decades, there are times where mine run perfectly over maybe a 6-month or even 12-month practice season, without needing much. Maybe I'm missing something. TW25? seems to do well enough; a couple other kind of lubes just seem to remain active & functional.

Same of Sig 220-10 & various metal 9s. 'Wet' now isn't what it used to be, is it?

Best hand gun design...?
The bottom pistol.
Its my rendition of a 1830's -1840's era trade pistol.
I designed it after some originals that I have seen.
I made it from spare parts I had , hanging around in my shop.
"Best" means different things to different people.
Andy
DSC06041.jpg

I love the 1911, it's a beautiful creation from a time when craftsmanship mattered. I've owned three of them, and I still have my Colt.. They are very comfortable, the trigger is unbeatable, and they shoot to POA..

BUT... once you learn to shoot the Glock well, it is the simplest, fastest, most reliable handgun there is.

I used to hate Glocks, so it really pains me to say that!

I did not mean the 2 1911's I currently own that I have had for decades. They run no matter what I feed them and often do not get well cared for. since they are stainless I often let them go far longer than I should between cleanings. Will wipe down the one I am carrying just to make sure they don't get crap on my hands that will then end up on my clothing. I was referring to new guns. I have yet to see a 1911 that could not be made to work 100% if it came factory with hang ups but I have seen many that did not work when new without help. Kimber is a great example of this. There is tons of crap on the net about them being over priced junk. This is due to a few getting one that does not want to work. When you pay premium for one you of course are let down if it does not work but, many who get one like this take to the net to condemn them all before they try to see why theirs does not work. The norm is the problem is simple. Often the extractor is the culprit and an easy fix. Kimber makes a ton of them so of course a few get out the door that need tweaking. Now Glock, even though I do not personally like them, this is very rare. I have never seen one unboxed that would not just work. The 1911 even though it is my hands down favorite is a complicated design that if not fitted correctly does not want to work. When I was showing a co worker the 80% G17 he wanted he watched one video of a guy making one with a file just to show how easy it is to do. You will NOT see anyone coming out with a 1911 80% like this. With them you can't just buy parts and slap them together and expect them to work. VERY often parts bought separately need fitting to work.

I vote for a gun that always goes bang.. it doesn't need cleaning for at least 5K rounds. No lube needed. Doesn't rust easily.. accurate. Anybody can work on it. Parts everywhere. Mags everywhere.

You're amongst friends. Nobody will hate you if you say the word.

....Glock. See, that wasn't so bad was it? Or in your case it may be more like Glock Glock Glock Glock Glock.

Sig P226
Glock
Beretta 92

I have it as a 5 way tie with Sig P226 on top.

Best depends on your criteria, so it's subjective. Best ergonomics, 1911. Best for reliability, Glock. Best for nostalgia, Colt SAA. Buy em all.

Based on what I have owned, shot and carried. (OC back east and OC a LOT out here in MT and a bit of CC out here in Montana.)

Disclaimer: I no longer own, shoot or carry handguns. I was a HIGH volume shooter in RF and CF handguns the MOST in the beginning.

Glock Model 19. TOP semi automatic pistol in my opinion. I still believe this.

Ruger New Model single action revolvers. (22lr/22wmr.) TOP single action revolver in RF and CF calibers in my opinion. I still believe this.

Ruger Blackhawk New Model in 357Magnum/38Special and 45Long Colt.

Smith and Wesson d/a revolvers in 22lr, 38Special Plus P, 357Magnum and 44Magnum. TOP d/a revolvers in my opinion.

Model 317
Model 60
Model 686
Model 29

(I did like my late husband's reliable, pretty and older Dan Wesson d/a revolver that I used as a 'house gun' long before I ever started to get INTO shooting and buying my own guns in the late 90's.)

Smith and Wesson 22lr semi automatic pistols - Model 41 $$$! and 22A. I still believe that Glock makes the BEST semi automatic pistol but I did choose these 2 sweet and reliable pistols in the S & W brand.

I would still CHOOSE and PRAISE the same, exact, brand names, models and CALIBERS all over again if I still shot handguns and did not have arthritis and old accident issues to deal with. (They were bought NIB by me - late 90's and on. The Smith and Wesson Models 29-2 and -3 were gifts to me and were one owner guns.)

Cate

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews