JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
seems like tasco super sniper fixxed straight 10x mil-dot scopes, hold up pretty good .. holds zero. i would not buy anything more than 10x as that is too much magnification. i would stay away from low end variable power scopes, as i have never seen one yet that will hold a solid zero, due to the brass/ steel cams inside that are part of the slide mechanism.( will not hold true zero due to internal moving parts.) your results may be different.

seems like tasco super sniper fixxed straight 10x mil-dot scopes, hold up pretty good .. holds zero. i would not buy anything more than 10x as that is too much magnification. i would stay away from low end variable power scopes, as i have never seen one yet that will hold a solid zero, due to the brass/ steel cams inside that are part of the slide mechanism.( will not hold true zero due to internal moving parts.) your results may be different.

Agree 100% with that recommendation, and the scope parallax linked. The guys at SWFA have the full line of the SWFA "Super Sniper" scopes if you're curious. Best for the $$ you can get, IMHO.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-C187.aspx

Make sure if you get a scope with a mil dot reticle that the turrets are in mils and not moa.
It will help you a ton to have turrets and reticle match up.

Also not quite sure how anything more than 10x is too much magnification unless you are referring to a fixed power scope only.

Another thing to think about is do you want a front focal plane or a second focal plane scope.
Having a fixed power scope makes that a non issue.

Knowing what your budget is and what distances you will be shooting would be helpful.

Make sure if you get a scope with a mil dot reticle that the turrets are in mils and not moa.
It will help you a ton to have turrets and reticle match up.

Also not quite sure how anything more than 10x is too much magnification unless you are referring to a fixed power scope only.

Another thing to think about is do you want a front focal plane or a second focal plane scope.
Having a fixed power scope makes that a non issue.

Knowing what your budget is and what distances you will be shooting would be helpful.
This make sure your reticule matches your adjustments weather is MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA. FWIW I am very happy with my Redfield Battlezone 3x9x44. Nice build quality, warranty and the adjustments are spot on.

Sorry diesel scout I should have said more, I am looking at shooting around 500 yards at the max (I am a realist I am not going for the 1000 yards right off the bat)

And yes I ment mil dot (by means of what the military uses... and is mil spec sorry for the miss use) reticle

Thank you guys for more info!

Last Edited:
Vortex pst 2.5-10x44. milrad reticle or moa. 2nd focal plane.
Must be on 10x to use substensions on reticle.
Or do some quick math and use multipliers.
Or pay a couple hundered more for front focal plane
also gives you illumination.
It is nice to have a variable scope for different distances.
Using a 10x at 100 yards is a bit overkill

We did some side X side comparing
SWFA 3-15 Vs. Primary Arms 4-14 at a mile this summer, honestly for optics at that distance the PA embarrassed the SWFA.
PA 4-14x44, mil/mil FFP, side parallax scope has been flawless so far. Have about a thousand rounds through it with my Creedmoor so far.

I have pics and a post about this comparison on shootersforum, or if you like YouTube, the Military Arms Channel did a 1,000 for $1,000 build and fell in love with it to.

Cheers

I still don't know what you mean by "mil spec" reticle? I assume you mean you want a reticle based on mrad as compared to MOA.

The Vortex PST line is pretty decent. Lots of good features for the price but the glass is not the greatest. I also like the Sightron SIII in that price range. On a gun that will be primarily a target rifle, I would suggest as much magnification as you can afford with an upper limit of about 25x.

Here is a review on the PA scope http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2012/10/foghorn/gear-review-primary-arms-4-14x44-mil-dot-ffp-scope/ There is another member on here who purchased this scope also and loves it.
I might have to get one just to check it out.

I would agree this is the best bang for the buck entry level variable power FFP scope out there. I shot my friends and loved it. His has the ACSS reticle which is really nice if you're using it for a DMR.

It's no SWFA 3-15 but it's also not $700

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads