JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
PA offers the 4-14 FFP scope with either the mil mil ret or their patented ret for another $40. I have been considering both of these and a couple others for my PA-10 and haven't decided yet. Most PA scopes get great reviews. I just wish the warranty was more than a year. Still all depends on how much cash you can throw down on it.

I do like the PA FFap scopes and the FFP warranty is better than their SFP 4-16x that gets great reviews across the board, which is only a year.
Don't know that it helps me sleep better, but it sure is nice to know that if something happens down the road it will be covered. S&B wasn't even on my radar as they are way too much $$$$ for me. I'd rather have another gun or three.

Hands down swfa super sniper 10x. It's very similar to the fixed leupold we used in the army. The swfa I'd say is better than the $1200 leupold. Leupold is overrated, vortex sucks( poor glass at ranged distances)...weaver sucks too.

I have 3 Super Snipers, and I make a zero stop addition for them. I've sold many hundreds of them and in all that time I've never heard a single negative thing about them. It would be my go-to choice in the $300 range.

The idea that 10X is the maximum is ludicrous. Most of my LR scopes top out at 25X, and I rarely dial them back. My precision AR wears a 3-15, and I often find myself wishing for more magnification.

I have 2 of the 16X SS's and one 20X. I think the 16 might be enough, especially for a new shooter who is not yet skilled at getting the rifle pointed at the target before getting on the scope. If you can stand the narrower field of view of the 20X, do that.

Well, I started this thread, so will show what I've come up with after hours of searching on suggested optics.

The closest I've come to what I'm looking for is the Sig Sauer Tango6 Tactical, 1-6x24 30mm, Hellfire TriPlex sight, choice of FFP or SFP. Transferable unlimited warranty.

Sig Sauer 1-6x24 TANGO6 30mm Riflescope

AGAIN: the simple crosshair type sight is important to me.
sig scope.jpg

HOWEVER...The $1,400.00 price tag is way over budget; for that price I'd hope for 1/4 moa adjustments instead of 1/2.

Still looking...

Max

Well, I started this thread, so will show what I've come up with after hours of searching on suggested optics.

The closest I've come to what I'm looking for is the Sig Sauer Tango6 Tactical, 1-6x24 30mm, Hellfire TriPlex sight, choice of FFP or SFP. Transferable unlimited warranty.

Sig Sauer 1-6x24 TANGO6 30mm Riflescope

AGAIN: the simple crosshair type sight is important to me.
View attachment 419688

HOWEVER...The $1,400.00 price tag is way over budget; for that price I'd hope for 1/4 moa adjustments instead of 1/2.

Still looking...

Max

Not to be a smarty apple but..... Did you change your user name since you started the thread? :)

OOPS...I started a similar thread...not this one. Sorry 'bout that... :oops:Same problem, though.

Leupold is having a 20%-75% off sale, right now, and some of their scopes are in a decent price range, with a lifetime guarantee. Also, there are plenty of tactical scopes with 1/4 moa, important to me. Their online factory outlet store is at: Leupold | FactoryOutletStore.com

Max

Last Edited:
So I have been wondering about this for awhile now what would be the best entry level optic for a bolt gun with a mil-spec reticle

Do you mean mil. dot reticle! I've heard of and worked with alot of mil. spec. parts but I've never heard of a mil. spec. reticle. After searching Leupold, Vortex, and Google I'm still not finding solid evidence.

And yes I ment mil spec!
What is a milspec reticle?

Also if you're shooting for groups at 500, you need WAY more than 10x. 24x min. More like 32x. I shoot 600 for score with a 40x and everyone now is getting the Vortex Golden Eagle 60x and no one even starts with less than 24x. If you're shooting tactical or for steel then lower magnifications might be ok but not for paper targets

Last Edited:
Check out Mueller Optic's I have two of their 4.5-14X Mil dot and 1 of their 4-16X Mil dots and they are outstanding. And very reasonable priced. They have others as well.

Do you mean mil. dot reticle! I've heard of and worked with alot of mil. spec. parts but I've never heard of a mil. spec. reticle. After searching Leupold, Vortex, and Google I'm still not finding solid evidence.
it is cause I dun goofed and ment mil dot all along... and even as I type that I had to correct myself because I almost put milspec again

Sorry if my earlier post was confusing. I've been a MOA / 2nd focal plane scope guy my whole life so I thought I would venture into first focal plane mil type scope just to confuse myself. The plan is working...it's quite an adjustment. The entry level Athlon Argos BTR scopes are FFP and come in either MOA or Mil (Millradian) configuration. I call it a mil reticle because the hash marks are in mil increments. (this reticle has no dots or mildots.) The windage and elevation knobs are in mils...one click is 1/10 of a mil.
Bottom line is I got into the long range game with this scope for a lot less than $400. It works as I work on technique for now. Someday I'll upgrade when I have $1,500+ lying around.
Hope this helps

upload_2018-1-16_17-43-33.png

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top