JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been using this little crappy scale that came with my lock-n-load kit

Hornady g2 1500

I don't particularly trust the measurements on it as it seems to read heavier than my Lee Safety Beam Scale and the digital scale doesn't seem consistent at at all.

I was curious what digital scales you guys used or would suggest. I like digital so I can quickly check my charge every 5 rounds or so.

I've used the Dillon electronic D-terminator (I *think* that's what they called it) for years & years. It has a 700g check-weight with it for comparison. It's never been more than 1g off in all the years I've used it.

There may be others newer/better some how, For a basic reliable electronic scale, I've been quite satisfied.

I've been using a Gempro for many years but they're discontinued. How much are you wanting to spend?

These guys are much better, but you're going to pay for it A&D FX-120i Precision Balance, Compact Scale 122 g X 0.001 g, Draft shield, RS232, 5year warranty, New: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Or you could get an RCBS charge master or even a Hornady lock and load auto charge powder dispenser.

There are also things you need to do to make sure static fluorescent lights and other electronic devices aren't interfering with it.

I've been using a Gempro for many years but they're discontinued. How much are you wanting to spend?

These guys are much better, but you're going to pay for it A&D FX-120i Precision Balance, Compact Scale 122 g X 0.001 g, Draft shield, RS232, 5year warranty, New: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Or you could get an RCBS charge master or even a Hornady lock and load auto charge powder dispenser.

There are also things you need to do to make sure static fluorescent lights and other electronic devices aren't interfering with it.

Yea the more research I'm doing the more sensitive the nice scales are to outside interference. I'm starting to rethink my stance a little bit and may start leaning on a nicer manual beam scale

Yea the more research I'm doing the more sensitive the nice scales are to outside interference. I'm starting to rethink my stance a little bit and may start leaning on a nicer manual beam scale
They're all going to be somewhat sensitive. Usually the cheaper ones are way worse in this regard. I make sure the lighting is not fluorescent, and the scale has been on for several hours (actually never turn mine off). I also have some line filters installed to help.

I'll never load without a digital scale, but I also verify one with another, and if needed, verify with the beam scale.

The electrical scales are much faster for me especially since I weigh every charge (for rifle).

They're all going to be somewhat sensitive. Usually the cheaper ones are way worse in this regard. I make sure the lighting is not fluorescent, and the scale has been on for several hours (actually never turn mine off). I also have some line filters installed to help.

I'll never load without a digital scale, but I also verify one with another, and if needed, verify with the beam scale.

The electrical scales are much faster for me especially since I weigh every charge (for rifle).

Yea there in lies my problem. I have flourescent lights in my shop and not much I can do about it.

Yea there in lies my problem. I have flourescent lights in my shop and not much I can do about it.
My father had those in his garage for years too. It was fairly cheap to replace them with an LED equivalent. Saves on the electric bill, and in my case, they gave off a lot more light to boot.

I would start with a set of weights. You can add weights together to weigh somewhat within the range of the charge you want to weigh. It's conceivable that a scale may be more or less accurate at different extremes of its weighing range.

Natchez is beating Midway and Amazon on price, plus has them in stock unlike the other two: Lyman Scale Check Weight Set

EDIT: Midway has the best pictures: Lyman Scale Weight Check Set

I always handle mine with tweezers or clean gloves -- maybe a bit of overkill, but I figure a greasy finger might add weight. I also have another set of check weights to check the check weights. I got them when I was suspicious of my first digital scale. Turned out it was an unwarranted suspicion.

I recently gave my Frankford Arsenal D-750 to my son-in-law, leaving me with my old RCBS 505 beam scale and a digital jewelry scale that doesn't measure in grains. I had an Amazon gift cert and thought I'd use it to get a new digital scale.... WOW, so many negative reviews!!!

After about a week of looking for alternatives, I aquiesced to getting the Frankford Arsenal Platinum series digital scale. So lucky that after it warmed up and I calibrated it in a 3 step two weight process, even with flourescent lights, it matched the beam scale exactly. I don't know how long it will stay that way, I've read the stories, but at $89, I didn't get hurt too badly compared to what a reloader can spend on a digital scale.

BTW, I've also read that the new beam scales are junk. If you can find an older RCBS or Redding on Ebay, you're in good shape.

FYI, most experienced reloaders that I know use two scales.... one to verify the other. Are we a paranoid lot? Well considering we are making little bombs, I don't think so. And also, for the highest accuracy of a long distance rifle round, you need the highest consistency too!!

My father had those in his garage for years too. It was fairly cheap to replace them with an LED equivalent. Saves on the electric bill, and in my case, they gave off a lot more light to boot.

I replaced the flourescent in my shop with LED light fixtures bit by bit. I really like them -- when I turn them all on it's like midday on the equator without the heat.

I recently gave my Frankford Arsenal D-750 to my son-in-law, leaving me with my old RCBS 505 beam scale and a digital jewelry scale that doesn't measure in grains. I had an Amazon gift cert and thought I'd use it to get a new digital scale.... WOW, so many negative reviews!!!

After about a week of looking for alternatives, I aquiesced to getting the Frankford Arsenal Platinum series digital scale. So lucky that after it warmed up and I calibrated it in a 3 step two weight process, even with flourescent lights, it matched the beam scale exactly. I don't know how long it will stay that way, I've read the stories, but at $89, I didn't get hurt too badly compared to what a reloader can spend on a digital scale.

BTW, I've also read that the new beam scales are junk. If you can find an older RCBS or Redding on Ebay, you're in good shape.

FYI, most experienced reloaders that I know use two scales.... one to verify the other. Are we a paranoid lot? Well considering we are making little bombs, I don't think so. And also, for the highest accuracy of a long distance rifle round, you need the highest consistency too!!

Yup. That's what I do with rifle loading, I verify every 5th round between the beam and digital.

67F06ECA-0075-4813-857A-C4E94BB85AD4.jpeg

Yup. That's what I do with rifle loading, I verify every 5th round between the beam and digital.

View attachment 762146

Hi Jim! Nice bench!!! (mine is messy)

For accuracy rounds, I weight out each and every rifle charge. Since I am only loading 10-20 rds at a time, it is no prob. However, if I was loading .223 for plinking, I would weigh them like I weigh my pistol rds... every so often. For me that is 10-20rds.

Hi Jim! Nice bench!!! (mine is messy)

For accuracy rounds, I weight out each and every rifle charge. Since I am only loading 10-20 rds at a time, it is no prob. However, if I was loading .223 for plinking, I would weigh them like I weigh my pistol rds... every so often. For me that is 10-20rds.

Thanks brother, it's getting there.:)

For my SHTF & TEOTWAWKI ammo I weigh each charge, only use cases that are the same length and proven load data.:)

A good scale should be accurate, repeatable, and precise. I'd sure like to see the Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, and Lyman, and others scales go up against the A&D FX 120i scale to show if a cheaper scale than the FX 120i (~$800?) can be accurate. I have a Frankfort Arsenal DS-750 which is pretty cheap, but not real accurate or precise.

This guy's youtube (Link) compares the FX 120i to the RCBS and Hornady digital scales. Gavintoobe did a comparison between the cheapest scale he could find and the FX 120i which kinda was a waste of time.

A good scale should be accurate, repeatable, and precise. I'd sure like to see the Dillon, Hornady, RCBS, and Lyman, and others scales go up against the A&D FX 120i scale to show if a cheaper scale than the FX 120i (~$800?) can be accurate. I have a Frankfort Arsenal DS-750 which is pretty cheap, but not real accurate or precise.

This guy's youtube (Link) compares the FX 120i to the RCBS and Hornady digital scales. Gavintoobe did a comparison between the cheapest scale he could find and the FX 120i which kinda was a waste of time.
Most scales are "accurate, repeatable, and precise" as need be, because one kernel of powder (or a half kernel with some powders) really won't mean a thing. If a digital scale is accurate to within one quarter of a grain that's accurate enough and most guarantee 1/10th of a grain.

However I've been using an RCBS beam scale for over 40 years and it does the job. I'll weight three consecutive charges and if they are within a kernel or so I'll throw ten charges and weigh that. Then I'll charge 50 cases and weigh the 51st. And then randomly check two or three if in the mood. It appears to work just fine. Unless you're shooting bench rest or thousand yard matches with an expensive match rifle weighing each charge is really a waste of time.

Last Edited:
never been more than 1g off in all the years I've used it.
"1g" That's a lot when you're only dropping 3.2g!
I know too many reloaders that went digital and later put them aside and got out their old beam scales.
Stay with a good balance beam scale, or you'll be back to getting one later.

Repeat after me: "There can be no substitute for a good balance-beam!" "There can be no substitute for a good balance beam!"

We are measuring gravity's effect on a chosen amount of mass.

I have an electronic measurer that (used to) talk to an electronic scale and trickle accordingly.
Since failure of the scale portion (unrecoverable on warranty or replacement), I have an elaborate electronic trickler that works rather well, considering all I do is press "DISPENSE" and it trickels until I let off the button. In conjunction with my "Rediscovered Champion": a Dial-Beam RCBS Model 304, the partners do better for me in the sense that I KNOW precisely that what I wanted to weigh, I in fact did weigh.

I have come home in a sense. Certainly find repeated reassurance. Not sure I will go back.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top