JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I always thought it was cute how many weigh each powder charge, especially for rifle.
Think about it, hardly anyone weighs every pistol charge yet on a ratio basis, it's much more important..
.1-.2gr of 5 gr (which most are comfortable with) is WAY more than .1-.2 gr of 50 gr.

I use a Frankford Arsenal like this one:

HOWEVER, I've only been reloading 9mm.

Use it a bunch though to check throws on the progressive by dumping case fills as a random QC check. Zero between, then pour powder back into the hopper.

No idea on how it would do with a powder trickler type deal.

Have a couple beam scales as well, but are rarely used. May see more use as I get into rifle, may not.

I wonder what the OP, @wollzy decided on? Considering he started this thread in October of 2020? :s0114:

I'll just say the I trust my eye to a greater than 0.1 gr accuracy, over a little Chinese made electrical device powered by two AAA batteries. Also most likely made in China.

I wonder what the OP, @wollzy decided on? Considering he started this thread in October of 2020? :s0114:

I'll just say the I trust my eye to a greater than 0.1 gr accuracy, over a little Chinese made electrical device powered by two AAA batteries. Also most likely made in China.
Hahaha. I actually ended up not getting a new scale but just relying on my beam scale to check every 5-10 throws...all my fingers still seem to be intact despite shooting nothing but my own reloads since this post

This thread is entertaining for sure as every single ammunition manufacturer charges their products by volume, not weight. The entire concept of weighing each individual charge came about from the idea that a few kernels of powder make a huge difference. Regardless that most firearms and shooters will never or can never notice the difference. Two kernels (plus or minus) of 3031 (or similar powder) won't make any difference yet some people still believe so.

This thread is entertaining for sure as every single ammunition manufacturer charges their products by volume, not weight. The entire concept of weighing each individual charge came about from the idea that a few kernels of powder make a huge difference. Regardless that most firearms and shooters will never or can never notice the difference. Two kernels (plus or minus) of 3031 (or similar powder) won't make any difference yet some people still believe so.
^This...I'm not loading for 1000 yard PRS. So if my plinking ammo is a little off I'm not noticing it. Operator error is my biggest issue when it comes to accuracy.

Hahaha. I actually ended up not getting a new scale but just relying on my beam scale to check every 5-10 throws...all my fingers still seem to be intact despite shooting nothing but my own reloads since this post
They musta named a town after you.

lol, just kidding

This is what I do loading handgun rounds. I use an an RCBS uniflow with the small cylinder and can get within a 1/10th every time with a good measuring powder. It really help a person understand their scale weighing an exact charge and then moving the 1/10th adjustment once up/down and seeing where that leaves the beam on the scale. A couple/three grains of powder make the beam move.
When I started loading handgun in 2011 I was "Working Up" loads for various calibers. I'd shoot at 50' (required). From rest as best I could. I never saw any difference in accuracy for lower to upper loads! So I just load lighter so as not to batter the gun or my wrist.

I love my Lyman #55 for shearing through IMR 4895.
I've weighed those plenty and have come to trust that thing and that old powder for plenty accurate shooting. Ball powder is cake compared to those logs.

I love my Lyman #55 for shearing through IMR 4895.
I've weighed those plenty and have come to trust that thing and that old powder for plenty accurate shooting. Ball powder is cake compared to those logs.
The RCBS Uniflow I've been using for over 40 years is the same, it shears the bigger canister powders quite easily. But I c-clamp the stand to the bench as it does take a little effort. However I've always been satisfied with it's repeatability. I do rap on the side of it to settle the reservoir between charges. And I disassemble it occasionally to clean the drum and housing with DA as it does get sticky after awhile and the only times I've had a issue with charge weight was when the rotor was sticky. The other week I loaded up 20 .458 WinMag and I had to weight the charges as the Uniflow didn't quite dispense the 62 grain charge of 3031 I wanted. I still paid attention to trying to get consistent charges and when putting the charge on the scale it only took 10 to fifteen kernels (I kept track out of curiosity) to make the 62 grain charge I wanted. As far as I'm concerned the mean was zero to five kernels and that's consistent enough. I too use a lot of 4895 for 30-06 and 8x57 and it works about the same in the powder measure.

Last Edited:
Hi Jim! Nice bench!!! (mine is messy)

For accuracy rounds, I weight out each and every rifle charge. Since I am only loading 10-20 rds at a time, it is no prob. However, if I was loading .223 for plinking, I would weigh them like I weigh my pistol rds... every so often. For me that is 10-20rds.
I'm going to be up that way in July. I might sneak in there at night just to mess up his bench :s0112: . It's entirely too clean. It is a really nice bench and loading room. @Caveman Jim did an outstanding job.

I used to verify with a beam scale but it got broke in shipping. But I trust my check weights since I used to use them with both scales and they are verified. When doing 300 Savage I weigh them all also, but every 5th on handgun at most, unless it's something like 700x which meters like crap. Using a Lyman (can't remember the model? 2000?). It had mixed reviews but it was what was available at the time. It's actually a good scale I haven't had an issue with mine and it isn't oversensitive. Except when the air conditioning is on and blowing right on it. If I divert the air away it works just fine.

20210509_083252.jpg

That's true. For myself I like to be careful with my older rifle (it's a Remington model 88) in 300 Savage and I make my own cases The recoil is brutal I can't imagine that thing blasting apart in my face. I thought with that long recoil and weight it might kick less but nope. I get a bloody nose and a bad case of the twiches every time. Still looking for a softer load but it's tricky to get it to function.:confused:

That's true. For myself I like to be careful with my older rifle (it's a Remington model 88) in 300 Savage and I make my own cases The recoil is brutal I can't imagine that thing blasting apart in my face. I thought with that long recoil and weight it might kick less but nope. I get a bloody nose and a bad case of the twiches every time. Still looking for a softer load but it's tricky to get it to function.:confused:
Interesting, as 300 Savage is essentially nothing more than a .308 Winchester with a shorter neck. Case capacity is essentially identical. I've never considered the recoil of either to be "brutal". Are you speaking of the Remington Model 8, later to become the Model 81? I had a Model 81 once in 300 Savage and I really liked it. I only got rid of it because it had a dent in the outside tube and it just bugged me to death.

Interesting, as 300 Savage is essentially nothing more than a .308 Winchester with a shorter neck. Case capacity is essentially identical. I've never considered the recoil of either to be "brutal". Are you speaking of the Remington Model 8, later to become the Model 81? I had a Model 81 once in 300 Savage and I really liked it. I only got rid of it because it had a dent in the outside tube and it just bugged me to death.
Yes sorry model 81 that's a typo. For some reason it's very unpleasant to shoot. I've shot .308 bolt guns that don't kick like that. When I try to drop the charge a little it stove pipes every time. Darn thing likes it hot right around max with everything I've tried so far. It's a finicky bugger. It also hates .308 reformed. It likes 7.62 NATO cut and reformed to .300 sav. It's worse than a high maintenance wife 😆.

Yes sorry model 81 that's a typo. For some reason it's very unpleasant to shoot. I've shot .308 bolt guns that don't kick like that. When I try to drop the charge a little it stove pipes every time. Darn thing likes it hot right around max with everything I've tried so far. It's a finicky bugger. It also hates .308 reformed. It likes 7.62 NATO cut and reformed to .300 sav. It's worse than a high maintenance wife 😆.
Again interesting. The only gripe I had with my Model 81 was the fixed box magazine. When I first got it I had no cases so I bought a set of Lee dies and simply reformed some Winchester .308 cases. They worked fine and I tried a few different bullet weights and medium charges. I think the heaviest was 180 grain RN and I don't remember it being difficult. Maybe your recoil spring has issues.

I've owned a lot of different guns, and I won't keep one that is unpleasant to shoot (except for the .458 as it's supposed to be uncomfortable) or one that bites my hand. I've cycled through a bunch of "legendary" pistols that bit me. Two Walter PPKS's for starters.

Again interesting. The only gripe I had with my Model 81 was the fixed box magazine. When I first got it I had no cases so I bought a set of Lee dies and simply reformed some Winchester .308 cases. They worked fine and I tried a few different bullet weights and medium charges. I think the heaviest was 180 grain RN and I don't remember it being difficult. Maybe your recoil spring has issues.

I've owned a lot of different guns, and I won't keep one that is unpleasant to shoot (except for the .458 as it's supposed to be uncomfortable) or one that bites my hand. I've cycled through a bunch of "legendary" pistols that bit me. Two Walter PPKS's for starters.
I thought it was gonna be funner haha. Haven't given up yet just working on it. It's a nice companion to my 1907 in .351 wsl. They are contemporarys. Gosh the .351 is a doll. Not picky at all. And super cheap to shoot If making your own cases and projectiles.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top