JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a new 583 series Mini-14 Ranch rifle with 18" barrel. I'd like to put on a 1-6 or 1-8 tactical scope, but prices are all over the place. I'd prefer one with 1/4 moa adjustments, NO BDC, and crosshairs that are not dependent on illumination. I don't require mil-dot, but won't turn down one with it. I've spent hours searching on the internet, but am more confused than ever. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Max

What is your price range? I have the Bushnell 1-4 throw down pcl vortex srtike eagle 1-6 and just bought a primary arms 1-8 ACSS. I like the built in throw lever on the Bushnell. I would rate them by quality and features in the same order. The ACSS reticle is the best reticle of the bunch for the calibers it was designed for. You can spend $2000 or more. For the extra $$ I would buy the PA above the others and will probably change them all out in time. I have heard that your style of action is hard on scopes due tho the large amount of mass cycling closed. You probably need a lot of eye relief from what I have seen from the location that Scopes can be mounted on those rifles. They seem to be more forward

What is your price range? I have the Bushnell 1-4 throw down pcl vortex srtike eagle 1-6 and just bought a primary arms 1-8 ACSS. I like the built in throw lever on the Bushnell. I would rate them by quality and features in the same order. The ACSS reticle is the best reticle of the bunch for the calibers it was designed for. You can spend $2000 or more. For the extra $$ I would buy the PA above the others and will probably change them all out in time. I have heard that your style of action is hard on scopes due tho the large amount of mass cycling closed. You probably need a lot of eye relief from what I have seen from the location that Scopes can be mounted on those rifles. They seem to be more forward

I'd like to stay below $1,000.00, preferably below $500.00.

The ACSS reticle has too much 'garbage' in the sight picture for my taste; and BDCs, in my opinion, are almost worthless when you consider the wide performance values of different ammo, bullet weights, etc.. A nice simple set of crosshairs with 1/4 moa adjustments is my preference. I'm hoping to find that in a tactical scope, but may have to go more conventional to get what I want.

Thanks for your input.
Max

first step is pick a budget. the 1000 down to 500 or less is way to wide of a budget. pick your budget amount and then buy the best you can at that price. I am one of those guys that researches the hell out of a purchase. Let me know your budget and I can make a few recommendations. Primary arms platinum series are good. The burris XTR ii series are good and vortex viper pst gen ii as well.

I'd like to stay below $1,000.00, preferably below $500.00.

The ACSS reticle has too much 'garbage' in the sight picture for my taste; and BDCs, in my opinion, are almost worthless when you consider the wide performance values of different ammo, bullet weights, etc.. A nice simple set of crosshairs with 1/4 moa adjustments is my preference. I'm hoping to find that in a tactical scope, but may have to go more conventional to get what I want.

Thanks for your input.
Max
The point of BDCs isn't precision. Its for reference if anything.

I have a Leupold vx6 1-6 cmr-2 I'll sale you for $700.
I used to feel the same way about the acss being to noisy until I used it in a match shooting at moving targets out 400yrds. I had a Vortex 1-4 pts viper and own a primary arms gen2 1-6x', Leupold vx6 cmr-2 1-6x and a Trijicon acupower 1-8x. Yes the Leopold and Trijicon optics have far superior glass being that they cost $1,200 more, but I'd have to say I like the primary arms radical the best out of the three. I think the pictures make that radical look noisier than it really is when using it. For my experience with these Optics I would say the Bushnell AR optics The Vortex Strike Eagle and the primary arms cheaper scopes are all roughly equal in quality. It would be more about what's radical you like. Pretty much anything under $1,000 the Red Dot is not visible in the daytime if it's bright out.

You may want to checkout Primary Arms 1-6X scope with the K.I.S.S. reticle. Super clean sight picture with a chevron reticle and a lifetime warranty.
Primary Arms 1-6X24mm SFP Riflescope Gen III with K.I.S.S. Reticle PA1-6X24SFP-KISS

I do like the Primary Arms scope, though I'd get the 1-8X
if I went with it. I could get use to the K.I.S.S. reticle, but the 1/2 MOA adjustment is too large for me—I'd like a 1/4 at least, and preferably a 1/8.
Thanks for the info.
Max

I have the PA 1-8 ACS. I suggest reconsidering the ACSS reticle. It is fast acquisition and also can be precise. It doesn't sound like you are putting this on a precision rifle for long range or small targets. 1/2 moa adjustments may not be as precise but they are adequate. I have shot steel out to 300 on 3 gun no problem.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top