JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was out back shooting my 10/22 with a Sparrow this evening, and I was thinking that I should maybe get a bolt action .22 to cut down the noise even more. What would be best? Get a Savage Mark II FV-SR or get some other bolt action and have the barrel threaded? Are there any other factory threaded bolt action .22 rifles out there?

I've got the FV-SR and it's great with the sparrow on it.
If ruger starts making the american .22lr with a 16" threaded barrel I would buy one and sell the savage.

I had the TSS savage with the long fluted barrel and it was a tack driver. I will be ordering the CZ 455 for the sole reason that the way I carry a rifle while in the field the savage magazine is uncomfortable. The CZ seems to be a little nicer and smoother but should be for $400, if I had more money I would get a 77/22.

the ammo you use makes a difference in sound as well.

I have noticed out of my 15-22 that remington subsonic is louder than CCI standard velocity ammo out of the rifle with the can on it.

CCI standard velocity is pretty darn quiet.

Another idea is getting a lever action and having the barrel threaded by a local gunsmith in 1/2 x 28

The problem with the lever is the tube magazine, if I could figure a way around it it would be sweet. I've also found that subsonics are louder out of semis and I think it is because the action opens before the bullet leaves the barrel and pushes gas out the wrong way?

You can have the mag tube shortened. might lose 1 round capacity, but it's a small price to pay for silence.

<broken link removed>

decent read about that with some pics...

as for the action: thats just how 22lr semi autos work. they use gas blow back to cycle the action.

as I said, sound rounds are louder than others when they blow back the action. so far CCI standard velocity has been the quietest reasonably priced ammo I've shot out of my M&P 15-22.

So before you jump the gun on buying a new rifle and/or modifying one: try different ammo in your 10/22 and you may get better results.

Believe me: not all ammo is made the same. remington subsonic is hit and miss for noise. I get 1-2 loud pops out of the action every 50 rounds from remington ammo, I get consistent quieter, cleaner, more accurate results with CCI standard velocity.

I have not tried CCI subsonic yet, but standard velocity is subsonic and stays subsonic out of my 16" barrel.

I don't know that I would want a lever action .22, I think I would prefer a bolt rifle. That Savage is looking pretty good, it comes with a 5 round magazine but I can get 10 round magazines easily.

Any other factory threaded bolt rifles out there?

I saw a Browning T-bolt at sportsmans it was sweet but I'm left handed and not willing to put that much money in to a right hand gun.

You can always put a bolt block on your 10-22 to hold the bolt shut while firing and work it like a straight pull bolt action. That will quiet it down quite a bit.

I've got the FV-SR and it's great with the sparrow on it.
If ruger starts making the american .22lr with a 16" threaded barrel I would buy one and sell the savage.
I also have that setup and really enjoy shooting it. With standard velocity ammo it is probably a little quieter than a pellet gun.

I also would like that ruger with a threaded barrel, but I don't really want ruger to thread it. If I have it threaded, I can have the sparrow profile on it for o-ring engagement.

So which would you prefer? The Savage or the CZ?
For me, the wood on the CZ is too hard to ignore. That's what I'd want if had to choose between the 2.

My 1st choice would be the ruger american .22 with a walnut stock and a 16" barrel with the sparrow thread profile.

Too bad the stuff that was coming out of England in the 90s isn't still kicking around on the shelves with the surplus stuff here. I picked up a BSA bolt action that was factory threaded. The thing shot great and I think I was only in it about $80

The problem with a tube magazine rifle is that the suppressor is in the way for reloading.
Not a problem with a magazine fed rifle.
I found out how hot my Sparrow gets after shooting a full tube of ammo.

A small pump spray bottle (the size that eyeglass cleaner comes in) filled with water is an effective way to cool off a hot suppressor without stressing the metal.

It's pleasant to watch the steam rise off the thing, too.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top