JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
GO to Bi Mart and buy a Savage model 111 package deal for your budget. You should be able between 3-4 stores to find most any of the calibers they come in. (I suggest 308 or 30-06) and your done. just go buy a sling.

My son bought one last christmas and shots 3 shot groups at 100 yards not much bigger then a nickle with factory ammo.

In my opinion

mauser 8mm . you can pick one for under $350 even sporterized with a scope

you can shoot surplus ammo for as low as $4.88 per 20 rd box (see cocktailer) Hunting ammo may cost a little more than .308 and 30.06 like $20-26 per box .
but you can deer hunt even elk hunt with it . The $4.88 surplus stuff is corrosive so you have to clean it with hot soapy water after shooting it (just shower with it.)

Some will say the mosin but if you plan to hunt with it, mausers are better suited most mausers are better built, ammo cost about the same the safety lever is easier to use and they make a after market trigger system that has a modern thumb safety also reduces trigger pull.

I like mosins but to me they are just fun shooting and not practical for anything else because of the crude safety lever and lack of ability to sporterize if you plan to hunt with it.

The nice thing about a 8mm mauser is if your a person that does not want to or can't afford more than 1 or a couple rifles.
and would like to afford to practice with the same rifle you will be taking into the woods with you deer season the 8mm mauser

Remington 700 in the caliber/grade/stock style of your choice. Shop for a fine used one, and it should come at your price range if you are not in a hurry and have cash to show. Bought wisely, it will hold its value better than most bolt guns if you choose to resell later. Choosing to keep it, upgrade accessories are readily available. My bet is that you will not only keep it, you will buy another later. I will not put down others that may suggest a Winchester or a Savage, or others, as I have extensively owned and shot those guns and they are very respectable (some shot better out of the box than some of my M700's). However, even those guys (if with extensive experience) would tend to agree that the Remington 700 is a standard that seems to be the basis of comparison when evaluating other bolt guns. Custom gunmakers almost universally recognize this action as the preferred choice of not only the majority of their discriminating customers, but themselves as well. They have good reasons for this preference.

Caliber? Well, that is your cup of tea. You WILL shoot a lighter recoiling cartridge better than one of heavier recoil. No experienced shooter will deny this. You do not specify type of hunting and (somewhat regrettably) placed a prohibition on a "vermin killer" cartridge. With this in mind, I will avoid the recommendation of the .223 as an ideal starter to hone your shooting skills, along with its economical ammunition. If deer hunting is your goal, my recommendation is a .243. This grants you moderate recoil (for fun, recreational shooting and fine accuracy), and sufficient power for deer. If you are planning to expand upward to elk-size game with this gun, seriously look at the 7mm-08. You will retain some measure of light recoil to cultivate your shooting skill, while having plenty of power for elk. At the .308 level, you enter into more than moderate recoil (although better for the big critters).

33 years ago, I came home from the service with no guns (they were stolen). My very first highpower cartridge rifle purchase then was in .25-06 (though bigger and smaller calibers were in my battery prior to the theft). It is nearly perfect for everything from mice to manatees, with the right load. Light recoil with the lighter bullets (conducive to recreational development of shooting skills) and VERY respectable with the heavier premium bullets for elk.

You will have a choice (in most modern bolt guns) of a "short action" (.223, .243, 7-08, .308 type cartridges) or a "long action" (.25-06, .270, 30-06 type cartridges). Again, this is your cup of tea as to caliber compatibility. The short action grants a lesser overall length to the gun (but only slightly) given same barrel length. Some claim the short action may grant a (nearly unmeasurable if not imagined) advantage of accuracy due to the action being "stiffer" than a long one. Even veteran shooters may never realize this "advantage" if indeed it actually exists.

Above all, avoid any recommendations to start with a "Magnum" caliber (.300 Winchester, 7mm Rem Magnum, etc.). Fine cartridges, yes, but NOT the way to learn how to shoot well, as I assume that is part (should be the very basis) of your goal.

I am a fan of Savage's for out of box accuracy, but the new Marlins are dirt cheap with the Marlin Accutriger. I saw them at NW Armory for $269 over T-day weekend. That would leave you a few bucks for good used glass.

If you can hold out till January (hunting is over/ Christmas bills are due) the used market is often better. The posts above all have good tips. I would also recommend looking for ammo before you buy. By looking i mean price and availability. I'm pleased with my Ruger M77 in 308 if that means anything.
Good luck

thanks for the replys guys spitpatch thanks for your service as i am a young vet also so im pretty much just gonna look for a cheaper rem 700 i think as for caliber .223 or 06 whichever comes by 223 so i can have same ammo as my ar thanks guys

On your budget- Savage hands down. Lots of upgrades, if you ever decide to switch calibers it takes about 15-20 mins and you're rocking again. One gun to use for everything from lil varmints, to 1K+ yard shots.

GO to Bi Mart and buy a Savage model 111 package deal for your budget. You should be able between 3-4 stores to find most any of the calibers they come in. (I suggest 308 or 30-06) and your done. just go buy a sling.

My son bought one last christmas and shots 3 shot groups at 100 yards not much bigger then a nickle with factory ammo.

^^This^^

I have a Rem, my brother a Win, and a good friend has a Savage... all shoot great! I'd suggest a used rifle, or a new Savage in a caliber reasonable for the type of hunting you intend to do.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top