JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I thinking ahead about what irons I want to go on a new build, 16" barrel, flat top with 10" handguard.

Deep inside my spare parts bin are a set of UTG flip ups from an old abandoned 22lr project. I didn't pay much for them and wonder about their durability and accuracy. I don't want cheap sights on this build so I was looking at other options.

I'm not against fixed irons but eventually want to put an optic on this so flips are needed, Id have to be shown some setup with fixed irons that allows me to use an optic to be convinced.

some questions:
How well do the flips hold zero, even the good ones? Is this an issue?
Whats your honest opinion of UTG? don't hold back if you think they are junk...
Whats your opinion of the best flip ups to buy?

I agree, Troy's are good. Diamondhead's are pretty damn good too though. I also have a set of LMT flip up irons that are top notch, as to expected from LMT, but they were not cheap!

Best? That is debatable. I have probably 8 different sets covering a broad range of prices and styles. For a mid price set I like the LWRC Skirmish sights. In the Troy's I like the Di-Optic rear and the HK style front

All of mine other than a real cheap eBay set have seemed to hold zero just fine. I have bought some UTG stuff including a A2 style rear fixed sight. It seems like it can be hit and miss, the sight was fine but I have bought some rings that were junk.

I have some fixed troys on a rifle that has a Holosun red dot on that works pretty well once you get used to it, but for the most part folders seem to be the ticket if you run an optic.

Troy sights seem to be popular here.
What are the medium and micro sights for? Assuming they are different than the ones not labled a size...

just had to read their page a little more, for taller top railed rifles.

Anyways the Troy sights look nice and they have several options, I'll bookmark their page.

Last Edited:
The best and without a doubt as well as the original is the ARMS 40 and 40l they are bi far the best unless its a copy of them which some manufacturers are . they are spring loaded and strong I have owned probably a dozen different rear sights and the 40 is just the best. they were the original spring loaded sight and maybe the first to make a BUIS or at least a quality one and other than making a low profile version the 40L they have never had to change the design because its simply the best.

I have owned a original 40 for over 10 years never had an issue

as far as front I would have to go with the PRI they were the original company to bring the HK style front sight to AR15 platform they are solid and tough.

Troy probably makes a fine product but they lost my business forever a couple years back.

The Magpul pros are what I use. I can't really justify spending hundreds on something I'll never actually use.

I just got a set of these from Brownells, and they are awesome ( $125). And they have brownells lifetime warranty!
I do also like the Yankee Hill set, but they cost ALLOT more than the brownells.

brownells.jpg brownells1.jpg

I vote magpul. The polymer is way more forgiving in a drop situation than that of any aluminum counterpart.

Knights armament Micro 600m front and rear, not cheap at $150 a piece. Full adjustable for windage and elevation and mount very low on the rail.

A few others to consider,
Knights 300m
Troy
Bobro
Magpul pro series

these are all great suggestions and are really helpful. So far I've bookmarked the Troy sights and the A.R.M.S. sights. I really like the ARMS but those are spendy. Well see.

Still reading on the other suggestions.

I'm curious about the Magpul sights, they seem to be a good brand but they are much more affordable especially their polymer ones. I also have to decide how often I really want to use irons if I am eventually going to use an optic. That might really swing the vote to the Magpuls but I've also always wanted to learn to shoot irons someday my experience with rifles has always been scoped.

options are a good thing :)

"Best" will be close to $200. Even Magpul polymer MBUIS will be close to $80.

I have a Troy rear fixed sight (A2 Fsb) on a rifle with an Aimpoint and simple Magpuls on a rifle with a scope (on a QD base).

I have had several sets of the magpul 's, not a fan. Nothing inherently wrong with them, I just don't like them.
There is no reason to spend $300 on BUIS, but on the other hand a rifle without sights is pretty worthless.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top