JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Every now and then I buy a sleeve of the cans of Kirkland roast beef from Costco. It goes in the pantry with the emergency cans of corned beef hash (LIbby's or Mary Kitchen). I also buy up the "pounder" bags of Jack Link's beef strips when it's on sale at the base exchanges. All kept for emergency food stocks, although I'll take a can, bag or so with me when I go on road trips or camping.

Where are you guys seeing biltong?
Sierra, at Jantzen Beach.

Absolutely agree. Making borscht, stew, french onion soup -- or anything with burger - if you don't brown the beef, you're missing a TON of flavor. Same goes with carmelizing the onions or crushing the garlic.
Right. Browning involves a bunch of complex reactions between the sugars and proteins in the food called Maillard reactions that produce a myriad of complex reactions and new chemicals. Very delicious chemicals. Nutritionists tell us that delicious brown goo is carcinogenic. And we say, "Hey. Aren't you the guys who told us it was fat, not sugar that was causing the obesity pandemic? And that eggs are bad for us? And that the USDA food pyramid represents science and not just the influence of various food lobbies?"

Garlic is another interesting story. The pungent chemicals that give garlic its flavor (and medicinal and antiviral and antimicrobial properties) don't exist until you cut into the garlic. When a garlic cell is broken vacuoles break open and their acidic contents mix with the rest of the cellular contents. Low-Ph-loving enzymes called hydrolases starting chewing up various goodies in the cell and producing the characteristic chemicals with the pungent flavors and antimicrobial properties. Most insects or critters who presumed to sink a tooth into the garlic are discouraged by this biological warfare response. As are most bacteria or viruses that might infect the damaged plant further. Not ducks though. They will eat every plant, greens, bulb, and roots. And not gophers either. They will attack from underground and eat the bulb and lower half of the plant, pulling it down into their tunnel and leaving only the course upper half the plant behind. One big gopher can destroy a patch of 40 plants in just a few days.

Since the distinctive garlic flavor is only produced when cells are broken, you need to cut or crush the garlic to get the "essence of garlic." Crushing damages more cells than cutting. My own trick is to cut the cloves in a few pieces each, add a little water to the garlic pieces in a blender cup, and blend it into a garlic slurry, which breaks many fold more cells than crushing and gives you the desired amount of essence of garlic with less garlic and less work peeling cloves. The cutting of the cloves into pieces is because whole cloves are too large to fit between blender blades. I let the slurry sit for a minute or two before adding it to the hot food. Boiling destroys the enzymes that produce the strong odors and flavors as well as the antimicrobial chemicals.

The strong flavors of onions are likewise only released when cells are broken by cutting.

Its the pungent garlic varieties that have the most anti bacterial/viral properties. These are also the varieties that store very well.

Last Edited:
Right. Browning involves a bunch of complex reactions between the sugars and proteins in the food called Maillard reactions that produce a myriad of complex reactions and new chemicals. Very delicious chemicals. Nutritionists tell us that delicious brown goo is carcinogenic. And we say, "Hey. Aren't you the guys who told us it was fat, not sugar that was causing the obesity pandemic? And that eggs are bad for us? And that the USDA food pyramid represents science and not just the influence of various food lobbies?"

Garlic is another interesting story. The pungent chemicals that give garlic its flavor (and medicinal and antiviral and antimicrobial properties) don't exist until you cut into the garlic. When a garlic cell is broken vacuoles break open and their acidic contents mix with the rest of the cellular contents. Low-Ph-loving enzymes called hydrolases starting chewing up various goodies in the cell and producing the characteristic chemicals with the pungent flavors and antimicrobial properties. Most insects or critters who presumed to sink a tooth into the garlic are discouraged by this biological warfare response. As are most bacteria or viruses that might infect the damaged plant further. Not ducks though. They will eat every plant, greens, bulb, and roots. And not gophers either. They will attack from underground and eat the bulb and lower half of the plant, pulling it down into their tunnel and leaving only the course upper half the plant behind. One big gopher can destroy a patch of 40 plants in just a few days.

Since the distinctive garlic flavor is only produced when cells are broken, you need to cut or crush the garlic to get the "essence of garlic." Crushing damages more cells than cutting. My own trick is to cut the cloves in a few pieces each, add a little water to the garlic pieces in a blender cup, and blend it into a garlic slurry, which breaks many fold more cells than crushing and gives you the desired amount of essence of garlic with less garlic and less work peeling cloves. The cutting of the cloves into pieces is because while cloves are too large to fit between blender blades. I let the slurry sit for a minute or two before adding it to the hot food. Boiling destroys the enzymes that produce the strong odors and flavors as well as the antimicrobial chemicals.

The strong flavors of onions are likewise only released when cells are broken by cutting.

Its the pungent garlic varieties that have the most anti bacterial/viral properties. These are also the varieties that store very well.
So garlic flavor is really enzyme farts. Did not know that.

Since the distinctive garlic flavor is only produced when cells are broken, you need to cut or crush the garlic to get the "essence of garlic." Crushing damages more cells than cutting. My own trick is to cut the cloves in a few pieces each, add a little water to the garlic pieces in a blender cup, and blend it into a garlic slurry, which breaks many fold more cells than crushing and gives you the desired amount of essence of garlic with less garlic and less work peeling cloves. The cutting of the cloves into pieces is because while cloves are too large to fit between blender blades. I let the slurry sit for a minute or two before adding it to the hot food. Boiling destroys the enzymes that produce the strong odors and flavors as well as the antimicrobial chemicals.

That's interesting.. I just now finished slicing a whole bulb of garlic up, very thinly. Not chopped or minced but sliced thinly. Dinner is that in a 1/4 stick of barely melted butter and a half a loaf of Italian bread.
The taste between sliced, chopped etc. garlic is quite different to me.

Since the distinctive garlic flavor is only produced when cells are broken, you need to cut or crush the garlic to get the "essence of garlic." Crushing damages more cells than cutting. My own trick is to cut the cloves in a few pieces each, add a little water to the garlic pieces in a blender cup, and blend it into a garlic slurry, which breaks many fold more cells than crushing and gives you the desired amount of essence of garlic with less garlic and less work peeling cloves. The cutting of the cloves into pieces is because whole cloves are too large to fit between blender blades. I let the slurry sit for a minute or two before adding it to the hot food. Boiling destroys the enzymes that produce the strong odors and flavors as well as the antimicrobial chemicals.

You have acquired a harem.

You had me at Garlic! :s0116:

I'll just hole up and drink liquor and shoot looters.
Seriously, maybe I've missed it along the way. But we've had those threads discussing things to sock away for SHTF. I don't recall seeing mention of liquor. I've thought that liquor, so long as you can guard it, would be excellent trade goods in bad circumstances. A high value trade item, worth many multiples of toilet paper or many other common things. Relatively expensive to stock it.

Seriously, maybe I've missed it along the way. But we've had those threads discussing things to sock away for SHTF. I don't recall seeing mention of liquor. I've thought that liquor, so long as you can guard it, would be excellent trade goods in bad circumstances. A high value trade item, worth many multiples of toilet paper or many other common things. Relatively expensive to stock it.
There's an old saying, old before my time, that pot will get you through times of no bread better than bread will get you through times of no pot. :)

I would rather have food, TP, guns, ammo, etc. than alcohol. I can't drink alcohol for a number of reasons due to my health and meds.

That said, I do have a bottle of vodka, one of high proof grain, and some various types of wine (for cooking). They do have barter and medicinal value - just not something can or want to consume.

FWIW - I have seen alcohol mentioned many times in threads about SHTF items to store.

^^^^^
The skills to manufacture alcohol would probably far outweigh any Jameson's stash in long term situations.
Knowledge is power, and while marauding brigands would kill you for your liquor cabinet without blinking, a skilled brewmaster or distiller would be as well protected as an ER surgeon.

This fantasy rant is presented for infotainment purposes only.

I would rather have food, TP, guns, ammo, etc. than alcohol. I can't drink alcohol for a number of reasons due to my health and meds.

That said, I do have a bottle of vodka, one of high proof grain, and some various types of wine (for cooking). They do have barter and medicinal value - just not something can or want to consume.

FWIW - I have seen alcohol mentioned many times in threads about SHTF items to store.
My post was mostly in jest. I'm not going to shoot looters unless they come after me or my neighbors, and I can only drink every so often.

^^^^^
The skills to manufacture alcohol would probably far outweigh any Jameson's stash in long term situations.
Knowledge is power, and while marauding brigands would kill you for your liquor cabinet without blinking, a skilled brewmaster or distiller would be as well protected as an ER surgeon.

This fantasy rant is presented for infotainment purposes only.
LOL, I will devise an invincible mechanical body and roam the wastelands dispensing justice and distributing hard candy.

:D :s0140:

I was thinking strictly in terms of trading stock, not personal consumption. A comparable trading item might be tobacco products. Whether you use them or not. Again, expensive to lay in a stock of these for a situation that might never arise.

I was thinking strictly in terms of trading stock, not personal consumption. A comparable trading item might be tobacco products. Whether you use them or not. Again, expensive to lay in a stock of these for a situation that might never arise.
Yeah, not going to stock tobacco; I can't use it at all myself for any beneficial purpose, so it would be purely for barter, and its use is going out of style. Eventually it will be used only by a very small minority. Alcohol does have a legitimate medicinal usage.

I'd be reluctant to use booze for trade. In a crisis I think most people who aren't alcoholic or dependent to some extent would have higher priorities with respect to what they wanted to obtain in trade--food, ammo, tools, seed. I think those who instead wanted booze would be people I would rather not attract or be doing business with.

inundated with prostitutes
Where'd you say this place was again? Asking for a friend....
a skilled brewmaster or distiller would be as well protected as an ER surgeon.
This is exactly why I make sure to share my homebrews with my (well armed) neighbors. The one up the street that calls the fuzz every time I shoot off the back porch? No beer for you!

I'd be reluctant to use booze for trade. In a crisis I think most people who aren't alcoholic or dependent to some extent would have higher priorities with respect to what they wanted to obtain in trade--food, ammo, tools, seed. I think those who instead wanted booze would be people I would rather not attract or be doing business with.
In past times when meds were scarce, booze has always filled in--it's not just for breakfast anymore :s0064:

I couldn't help but think of this one ... my father-in-law, who is a burger connoisseur, had a canned cheeseburger whilst in Europe and recommended against it. (His words were "worse than horse meat". Since both me and him have consumed said during our lifetimes, yuck faces were made.)

The claim:
View attachment 1035505

The reality:

View attachment 1035506

View attachment 1035507

View attachment 1035508

:p
Gawd we had food like that in the Ghan, we called it camel meat, lololol.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top