Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Becoming an NRA Certified Instructor

Discussion in 'Education & Training' started by Chromaflage, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Chromaflage

Chromaflage Oregon Member

I've done at least a cursory search on this subject, but have not been successful in finding anything local. How does a person become a certified NRA instructor and be certified to teach an Oregon CHL course? I'm looking for local sources (greater Portland, OR area).

2. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

The first step is taking an NRA Instructor course for pistol.

this link will get you started
    NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training

there is one in Battle Ground in mar/apr Your not going to get any closer than that

currently there is no NRA approved CHL instructor training. I did hear that they are working on such a things, but as of yet there none.
    I would take all the advanced pistol class at a good training site like OFA or FAS or frontsite and begin studying OR CHL laws and how to apply them.
    Try to connect eith a local company that teaches CHL classes and see what quals the instrutors have and what you will need to be sucessful doing it.

3. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

pm sent

4. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

I talked to the Washington County Convealed Handgun Unit the other day. She said that law required you be an NRA instructor to give the CHL class. I told her I was pretty confident the state law did not actually state an NRA certification was necessary but, she said that was their policy.

5. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Here's ORS 166.291 1(f) which describes the acceptable training to demonstrate competence.

6. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

Ahh, G is the key there. Bummer USMC doesn't count as LE agency.

1 person likes this.
  7. hyperparasite

hyperparasite Hillsboro, OR Member

8. orygunmike

orygunmike Beaverton, OR Active Member

to find out about the basic requirements, follow this link .... Education and Training|Become an Instructor

You will need to find an Instructors' course being put on by a NRA Training Counselor
    You can search for courses here NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training

Once you obtain a NRA Instructor certification, there is no additional certification required by the State of Oregon. Some states, such as Utah, requires that instructors teaching the Utah concealed carry classes are certified by the state; Oregon does not.