JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I really like the 7 mm, but would need to find a really light weight one like a Sako Finlight! My Mauser is 9 pounds, and that gets to be a bit much to lug all over the mountains! Maybe i'm just getting to be a puzzy in my old age! LOL
I like to shoot a lot and having something featherweight defeats my desire to do so. More than three to five shots and the barrel heats up so much the rounds start moving away from the original zero. Not to mention less mass equals greater felt recoil which will cause the shooter to produce an unconscious flinch...the later goes for everyone whether the want to admit it or not. Point being, it seems hard to me to imagine truly enjoying and becoming as proficient with a 5.5lb large caliber as one would with a heavier one.

My $0.02

True. Mines for hunting though. Lots of packing. I shot my brothers 28 nosler 5.5 lb gun last week and it was not bad at the 700 yard shots. I just hate to pack a heavy gun through the mountains for 1-2 shots on a hunt.

Light rifles with lots of recoil have never been a problem for me, and if it were, a good recoil pad would be a big help! I would also have a muzzle break installed to help. I did that with my .338 win mag, and it shoots like a .22/250! I don't have flinch, even with really hard hitting rifles, so that has never been a problem!

Light rifles with lots of recoil have never been a problem for me, and if it were, a good recoil pad would be a big help! I would also have a muzzle break installed to help. I did that with my .338 win mag, and it shoots like a .22/250! I don't have flinch, even with really hard hitting rifles, so that has never been a problem!
Curious about the no flinching. How many rounds shot without flinching?

I believe the basic formula used by USMC for the M40A1 is 1.0lb per 200ft/lbs muzzle energy, so just over 14lbs to keep the shooter from developing an unconscious flinch with prolonged practice/shooting.

...has nothing to do with the OP though :D

My only issue with a muzzle brake on a hunting gun is the massive increase in decibel level from a shot.

Turned my AR from a loud .22 and it is now able to compete with the noise from my .308win.

For target shooting I think they are great.

I attribute most of my recoil mitigation to training and a life time in the service shooting almost daily! I have a love of hard hitting long arms and the desire to do well with them! SO..........I have learned to absorb recoil well! My big .375 Weatherby produces upwards of 55 pounds of recoil, and I shoot that one a lot, so practice has helped my resistance to recoil induced flinch. I can consistently shoot five rapid shots with that rifle and be on target with acceptable accuracy every time! Again, knowing it's going to hit you hard, and bracing your self properly will help, not anticipating the shot, but following through the recoil also helps. To be honest, I think it's almost all a mind game, and experience with recoil.

I attribute most of my recoil mitigation to training and a life time in the service shooting almost daily! I have a love of hard hitting long arms and the desire to do well with them! SO..........I have learned to absorb recoil well! My big .375 Weatherby produces upwards of 55 pounds of recoil, and I shoot that one a lot, so practice has helped my resistance to recoil induced flinch. I can consistently shoot five rapid shots with that rifle and be on target with acceptable accuracy every time! Again, knowing it's going to hit you hard, and bracing your self properly will help, not anticipating the shot, but following through the recoil also helps. To be honest, I think it's almost all a mind game, and experience with recoil.

I always take a .22lr to shoot while the barrel cools on other guns. Tells me real fast if I am flinching:).

Muzzle brakes have a place when hunting, but many don't like them for the noise and side blast! I like the Savage/ Browning idea of a break you can turn off! That way you can sight in and tune your rifle on the bench, then for hunting just turn it off!

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top