JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A buddy wants me to accompany him this year for fall black bear.

While I'm too cheap to buy ammunition, I'm looking for suggestions on reasonably priced and readily available projectiles for black bear.

Naturally I'll be rolling our own for this expedition.

Here are the details:
1:12 twist for both rifles
Both rifles are a Remington 700 (one SPS and one hunting w/ tapered)
0-300 yard shooting
165-180gr
Will be loading mag length rounds
Trying to keep in the >$40/100 range

I've been looking at the:
Sierra GameKing, Pro-Hunter
Hornady Interbond/Interlock
Suggestions were to not use polymer tipped rounds. (Chuck Hawks)

Suggestions?

Last Edited:
I've killed plenty of black bears with polymer-tips. Both Hornady and Accubond from a 300WM.
I've also used Sierra GameKings, but from a 338WM and not with as much success as you would think.
The last bear I killed went down in a pile at about 200 yards from a 100gr Nosler Ballistic Tip from a 25-06 during last year's deer season.
Not sure why someone would recommend not using polymer tips. I've since switched to all polymer bullets for all loads in all my rifles. Accubonds are hard to beat. Interbonds are great as well, and less expensive than Accubonds. I just can't get them to shoot straight from my rifles.
From a .308, shoot the bullet that sits in the middle of the Venn Diagram between speed and accuracy, 15gr of weight won't make a difference to a bear at ~2600fps.

I've dropped a number BBs, 44 mag., 30-30, 308, mostly one shot at close range but then my friend's uncle was killed by a BB when deer hunting so maybe I was just lucky. 308 is plenty of power, even the run-of-mill 150 grner will put em down. I used 165 Herters/180 grn Rem bullets because that's the stuff that was handy

Thank you @2506 and @erudne. I was taking a look into a more rounded style like this:
Product - Sierra Bullets - The Bulletsmiths (https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/product.cfm/sn/2170/308-dia-180-gr-RN)

Though I really haven't ruled out any polymer tipped bullets. I edited the above regarding the polymer tipped because it came from Chuck Hawks website. I usually find that information spot on. While they weren't told to stay away from, they were advised against.

I was considering the more blunted shape because they are similar to the Remington Core-Lokt ammo that I've had extensive experience with in the past. I don't believe there has been anything I've shot at that didn't drop when hit (key-when hit) with those Core-Lokt rounds. I sure miss the CXP-2 and CXP-3 munitions that Winchester used to roll out. Those were deadly as well (with polymer tip but not used on bears).

I would go with a factory box of ammo.

A box of 20 will last you and your partner a few seasons hunting bear.

Then make your own based on how the factory stuff performs.

I don't reload yet though so maybe I'm talking out of an exit hole.

180 grain Sierra GameKing, shot out of my Rem 700 BDL, in .308, hand loaded of course. I was hunting the Imnaha unit a few years ago... One shot, the bear dropped over dead at 415 yards. I'm more than happy to share my load data, if you like.

That may seem like a long shot but its pretty easy. All it take is a little practice, learn to read the wind a little. I use a standard military sling, and always have it ready to sling up, and sit Indian style. Plenty of time to shot as they are always pretty far off.

I would think with a 308 it wont matter what bullet you chose other than I would go with one that has the flattest trajectory.

I'd be curious to learn why to avoid the polymer tips? Seems like those are the new way to go. I've been using 2506 Federal Premium Sierra Game King loads and have dropped 3 elk clean DRT with one shot but this summer I've been getting better groups with Hornandy polymer tips, I think they offer a better ballistic coefficient.

I have always done well using the Good 'Ol Corloked Rem Pills! As long as they enter the boiler room and exit, they have always preformed well. I usually shoot with a .30/06 or 7 MM rem mag, so the speeds are up there, I have also seen big blackies taken with a .243 so I would agree, just about any well placed shot should anchor a bear! Going North, or here in the Rockies, We have bigger Grizz, so they take a better performing bullet. I like the Swift A-Frame and the Swift Scirocco black tips for this kind of work! BUT, the Ol Corloked still works very well! Not the most accurate, but it gets the job done. I have not tried any bear hunting with the .308, but I would say it should work just fine with 150 to 168 gr loads!

180 grain Sierra GameKing, shot out of my Rem 700 BDL, in .308, hand loaded of course. I was hunting the Imnaha unit a few years ago... One shot, the bear dropped over dead at 415 yards. I'm more than happy to share my load data, if you like.

That may seem like a long shot but its pretty easy. All it take is a little practice, learn to read the wind a little. I use a standard military sling, and always have it ready to sling up, and sit Indian style. Plenty of time to shot as they are always pretty far off.

Out there, 415 yards is a chip shot. Been going to the Imnaha every spring for bear for decades (I'm old). Used to be 1 bear every square mile, the most dense bear population in North America. The last 5 years or so, not a bear to be seen.

I would think with a 308 it wont matter what bullet you chose other than I would go with one that has the flattest trajectory.

I'd be curious to learn why to avoid the polymer tips? Seems like those are the new way to go. I've been using 2506 Federal Premium Sierra Game King loads and have dropped 3 elk clean DRT with one shot but this summer I've been getting better groups with Hornandy polymer tips, I think they offer a better ballistic coefficient.

Might want to take a peek at the Accubond 110 grainers. They actually shoot faster out of my rifle than 100gr NBT. Haven't shot anything with them yet, but fingers crossed for deer season this fall!

Might want to take a peek at the Accubond 110 grainers. They actually shoot faster out of my rifle than 100gr NBT. Haven't shot anything with them yet, but fingers crossed for deer season this fall!

ive been using the heaviest grain I can find, currently around 120g since I use this for elk my guess is the heavier grain will have more penetration or bone breaking...

I will admit the lightest bollit I use is the 180gr. I shoot long ways off sometimes and like the results of the heavier ones.
2 years ago .338 Lapua 300gr Sierra.. Bear slowly grazing, facing uphill. One shot kill at 690 yards.

I've been going to Imnaha for 25 years now and have seen the numbers go down. But I have a few spots that are still very productive but require a 3-5 mile hike... I still see dem bears in there!

I really like the 7 mm, but would need to find a really light weight one like a Sako Finlight! My Mauser is 9 pounds, and that gets to be a bit much to lug all over the mountains! Maybe i'm just getting to be a puzzy in my old age! LOL

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top