JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I was reading an article and came across this quote

Phil Engeldrum: "If you need to carry a gun, you probably need to carry two of them."

Just wondering how many people carry backup guns, how do you carry it and what is it?

here is the article if you want to read it... its a little old

http://www.tactical-life.com/online/exclusives/10-commandments-of-concealed-carry/

Anything really...I used to carry a Kel-Tec P3AT (until my wife stole it, lol). Heck, even a .22 is better than nothing...

The thought process is this- you should always have a plan and a backup plan. Flashlights, for example, seam to always be dead when you need them....so having some backup batteries in the car wouldn't be a bad idea...or even a backup flashlight.

It's like throwing jumper cables in your car...and extra fluids and such. You should never rely, fully, on one thing to get you home.

And honestly, anything can be a "backup" for your carry...mace/pepperspray, a knife, a baton or just knowing how to fight hand to hand is a great tool in itself to fall back on when you need to defend yourself or your loved one(s). Carrying a firearm for defense comes with a mentality of survival and the responsibility to be mindful of your surroundings.

Food for thought...

Last Edited:
Anything really...I used to carry a Ruger P3AT (until my wife stole it, lol). A .22 is better than nothing...

What? Ruger doesnt make the P3AT, Keltec Does. Ruger makes the LCP. And neither one of those guns are in .22. Both are .380...

OP, yes, I am pro backup gun.

what and how do you carry?

I dont always carry a backup. But when I do, its either a Ruger LCP or S&W 642. Though I just sold the LCP... And have just always put the smaller backup gun in a pocket when I carry it. I never tried two guns on a belt or anything. And i dont think ankle carry would work that well for me.

You just gotta pick what you are most comfortable with.

It's not always practical to carry two gund and some may say its overkill. But in all hoesty, there really isnt any downside to having a backup. What riot said was true, always have a backup plan...

It's better to have and not need, than need and not have.

I only have one pistol, so that's my carry piece. I do carry Kershaw knife as a backup/tool though, not to mention I normally wear steel toes 90% of the time, which makes a kick go from bruised shin to broken shin real quick.

I have been A CCer for only a few years. In all of the training that I've taken I haven't found a real compelling reason to carry a "back-up". If you are in dangerous situations everyday like my LE friends are, it may be a little more prudent to carry a back-up. My Back-up is a BenchMade Knives Presidio Auto.

Its all about training really, If you train to continue to retreat and always keep a distance between you and your threat than a second firearm makes more sense. If you train to be more aggressive, shot placement and pursuit may become the priority, whether the pistol fails, or your second mag gets away from you, a knife can be more exacting and deadly in a CQ situation.

My training prioritizes the first three shots - I train to shoot less than more. I have not seen any statistics except in some training environments about how many private citizen/bad guy scenarios last long enough that a second deep cover back-up is really needed. I would think that they are done and over with in seconds. LE scenarios however are different, because of the type of situation they are walking into have a high propensity to be long it time and scope - seconds turn into minutes.

I'm no expert but that is what I have been taught. I decided long ago that I would carry a weapon that has a long history of performance and reliability - and learn how to use it better than I thought possible. If I was worried about back up I might carry a 2nd extra mag. I trust my life with my Sig P228 and my Benchmade. Just one gunners opinion.:s0155:

What? Ruger doesnt make the P3AT, Keltec Does. Ruger makes the LCP. And neither one of those guns are in .22. Both are .380...

OP, yes, I am pro backup gun.

lol...you caught me, it's a Kel-Tec....don't know why I typed Ruger. And what I was saying is that a .22 is better than nothing. And yes I know the P3AT and the Ruger LCP are both in .380

If I can pontificate...

If you're not doing LE work and you're thinking back up gun... ask yourself why?

in case you lose the first one?
in case the first one breaks or malfunctions?
in case the first one runs out of ammo?

1) In close quarter combat if you lose the first one you probably couldn't get a 2nd one out without getting thumped or whacked. You definately need a backup plan for that but I wouldn't want it to be go for another gun buried on me somewhere. Backup plan... hands on self defense with or without hand weapons (take a class)

2) If it breaks or malfunctions.... complete weapon failure is extremely rare unless you're carrying complete junk. Back up plan.... don't carry junk and train the crap out of yourself in primary and secondary malfunctions... back up plan clear the malfunction and keep it in the fight. If you're not carrying junk and you get a 1 in a million breakdown.... back up plan.... see number 1.

3) In case you run out of ammo... again probably close quarters. Make them count. Spray and Pray is definately not the plan. Training, training, training. If you're carrying a low capacity pistol and concerned about multiple assailants.... back up plan is an extra speedloader or magazine. You run into the entire cast of extras from The Warriors and there's still a couple standing after you've fully implement number 3... back up plan.... see number 1.

Let me know what other contingencies might be troubling... I'll consider them but I'll probably end up with see number 1.

Be safe.

Excellent post gunhummer. I am totally for a physical hands on defense in case something goes wrong. But a lot of the time, if you are caught off guard you're going to be in close quarters in the first place and have to use hands on methods to get yourself some time and space to access your weapon.
This is why I
1)Carry a knife as well
2)Have taken years of Karate and Tae Kwon Do
3)Work out regularly to keep myself in good shape for defense.

Also if they are not using lethal force, like someone trying to run by and snatch your wife's purse, or steal your car without weapons and without attacking you personally. Just more of a grab and go. You upping it by just having a pistol as your only defense, instead of open hand will land you in a lot of legal trouble. However throwing some fists into the perps face will be justifiable and less likely to land you in legal trouble.

For a BUG I carry either a BHP Detective 9MM with the 15 rd mag or a M43 Firestar 9MM, defending. Usually it's SOB carry so I can reach it with either hand.. that's pretty important in a BUG. I usually carry one or two extra mags, too

If I can pontificate...

If you're not doing LE work and you're thinking back up gun... ask yourself why?

in case you lose the first one?
in case the first one breaks or malfunctions?
in case the first one runs out of ammo?

1) In close quarter combat if you lose the first one you probably couldn't get a 2nd one out without getting thumped or whacked. You definately need a backup plan for that but I wouldn't want it to be go for another gun buried on me somewhere. Backup plan... hands on self defense with or without hand weapons (take a class)

2) If it breaks or malfunctions.... complete weapon failure is extremely rare unless you're carrying complete junk. Back up plan.... don't carry junk and train the crap out of yourself in primary and secondary malfunctions... back up plan clear the malfunction and keep it in the fight. If you're not carrying junk and you get a 1 in a million breakdown.... back up plan.... see number 1.

3) In case you run out of ammo... again probably close quarters. Make them count. Spray and Pray is definately not the plan. Training, training, training. If you're carrying a low capacity pistol and concerned about multiple assailants.... back up plan is an extra speedloader or magazine. You run into the entire cast of extras from The Warriors and there's still a couple standing after you've fully implement number 3... back up plan.... see number 1.

Let me know what other contingencies might be troubling... I'll consider them but I'll probably end up with see number 1.

Be safe.

There are more reasons that you've posted to carry multiple weapons...many times, I go out with friends and family members with whome I know can shoot....but they don't carry. If I can arm them as well as myself, then we are much better off. Also, it is easier said than done to tell someone to conserve their ammunition in a stressfull situation. Not everyone has been shot at or knows how they will react when taking fire...having another gun, another magazine or both is never a bad idea.

As the old saying goes; One is none, two is one.

I ask, why have a gun to begin with? Because you might be put in a situation where you might need one? Well I can argue that you shouldn't be going down dark alleys and crime-riddled areas, so you shouldn't even need a gun! But that kind of thinking will get you killed really quick.

Things fail....especially mechanical things. Why not have two? What is wrong with a backup? Nothing...nothing at all.

So, to bullet my points- you should carry two guns because...

*The first one might break or run out of ammo
*You can arm other people to watch your back

Just to add, I would like to clarify that I hardly ever carry more than one pistol...that's just my preference. I just think that arguing about someone wanting to carry two firearms is just splitting hairs since there are better reasons to carry more than one than there are against it.

There are more reasons that you've posted to carry multiple weapons...many times, I go out with friends and family members with whome I know can shoot....but they don't carry. If I can arm them as well as myself, then we are much better off. Also, it is easier said than done to tell someone to conserve their ammunition in a stressfull situation. Not everyone has been shot at or knows how they will react when taking fire...having another gun, another magazine or both is never a bad idea.

As the old saying goes; One is none, two is one.

I ask, why have a gun to begin with? Because you might be put in a situation where you might need one? Well I can argue that you shouldn't be going down dark alleys and crime-riddled areas, so you shouldn't even need a gun! But that kind of thinking will get you killed really quick.

Things fail....especially mechanical things. Why not have two? What is wrong with a backup? Nothing...nothing at all.

So, to bullet my points- you should carry two guns because...

*The first one might break or run out of ammo
*You can arm other people to watch your back

Just to add, I would like to clarify that I hardly ever carry more than one pistol...that's just my preference. I just think that arguing about someone wanting to carry two firearms is just splitting hairs since there are better reasons to carry more than one than there are against it.

If they cannot meet the minimum "legal" requirements to be armed, why would you arm them?

If they cannot meet the minimum "legal" requirements to be armed, why would you arm them?

There was nothing said about them not being able to be armed, just that they didn't carry concealed for whatever reason. I know people who legally have firearms, can shoot well, but don't carry concealed for some reason, such as they feel it is more recreational and not defensive. They don't think anything can happen to them as long as they stay aware and in good areas.

It would be people like this I believe he is referring to. My mom for instance owns guns, is legally able to have them and carry, but doesn't, because of the above reasons. I know if she needed to she wouldn't hesitate to shoot to defend herself or myself, but she does not carry. I would definitely arm her with a backup gun if I carried one and we had a situation that warranted it.

There was nothing said about them not being able to be armed, just that they didn't carry concealed for whatever reason. I know people who legally have firearms, can shoot well, but don't carry concealed for some reason, such as they feel it is more recreational and not defensive. They don't think anything can happen to them as long as they stay aware and in good areas.

It would be people like this I believe he is referring to. My mom for instance owns guns, is legally able to have them and carry, but doesn't, because of the above reasons. I know if she needed to she wouldn't hesitate to shoot to defend herself or myself, but she does not carry. I would definitely arm her with a backup gun if I carried one and we had a situation that warranted it.

If they are not savvy enough to carry their own weapon, then I will be better off using my backup gun, myself

And indeed there are shootouts where guns have broken and or run dry while the other guy(s) are still shooting at you. Not every shootout is a point blank stick up robbery.. some are from behind cover or a running scenario

I am familiar with front guns, but not backup guns. Won't they be hard to aim?

c12_0606_10z+1965_aston_martin_db5+machine_gun.jpg

I agree with GUNHUMMER. I think unless you're LE and on duty the idea of carrying two firearms on your person is pointless. My one firearm is fine when off duty, and I feel confident enough my in situational awareness and my hands and feet and elbows etc, to be compitent enough to keep myself out of trouble. Alot of people tend carry a firearm and use that as a handicap in regards to dealing with volatile sitations, however that is a false sense of security. It's a double edge sword my friend, that very weapon that is being carried by you at the end of the day is a WEAPON, and the only difference in who may get hurt is dictated by who's on the other end of the barrel. I'd advise you to maybe take some self defense courses Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Krav Maga. With training you'll learn valuable lessons in weapon retention etc, and just be more aware and confident. Hopefully this helped.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top