JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
+2 on "Blacktail eat way better than mule deer or whitetail IMO that is ... "

And their preferred diet in the NW is much closer to beef cattle, so I have noticed very flavorful but not gamey meat on the Blacktails.

+2 on "Blacktail eat way better than mule deer or whitetail IMO that is ... "

And their preferred diet in the NW is much closer to beef cattle, so I have noticed very flavorful but not gamey meat on the Blacktails.

I'll go for the muley that's been feeding in the alfalfa fields and barns. Hmmm, good. My wife's family has a 4,000 acre wheat, alfalfa and cattle ranch in NE Oregon.

Or, you could shoot a blacktail buck out of our great room window in the hills W. of Medford, LOL. We had a dandy 5 point and 4 point in here this year.

I agree I see the blacktails move more in the late afternoon than morning. If it's cool, they'll find a S. slope for the sun. If it's hot, they'll go around the hill to the N. slope for the shade. They don't need much of a place to hide. They are hard to see in a small patch of brush or tall grass. They do like to bed down where they can see around their area.

I got my buck a few weekends ago during opening day for general western tag. It wasn't anything to brag about but I was sure proud of it :)

I drew a camas swale antlerless tag which started on 10/21/11. We went out all day to fill those tags and neither of us saw one doe. It was insane. I went out again the other day and nothing. I am going out this weekend both saturday and sunday if needed...I thought this Doe tag was going to be a shoe-in...guess not!

Here is a shot of the place near cottage grove that we found. Has a beutiful meadow on one side and reprod on the other. Looks like a perfect place to find a doe...we found so much sign...dung..tracks...bedded down areas...we know they are here!

IMG_9232.jpg
IMG_7816.jpg

Here is the rack off my Buck from earlier this month
IMG_7191.jpg

sir , i grew up hunting columbia county , theyer poached out alot and .... blacktailrs are very nocternal deer.... taken alot of animales over the years , from oct-15 on there into the pre-rut mover ,scrape rub, ... but those deer are nothing like muleys ..

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews