JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im lookin for someone to take me duck huntin. I live in Lebanon, have shotguns, calls, decoys and a decent 18' sled, just dont know anyone who duck hunts. I aint lookin for honey holes, just the basics. Thanks

I haven't duck hunted in years, but I've done a lot of it.
While there's still a good volume of water, I'd get that sled in the Willamette and do some scouting for next season.
Sloughs and backwaters are good places to set up your deeks.
Also your boat would make a great floating blind.

We used chicken wire woven with native grasses/branches and elec conduit for the frame.
A ramp for the dog is a good feature.

I haven't duck hunted in years, but I've done a lot of it.
While there's still a good volume of water, I'd get that sled in the Willamette and do some scouting for next season.
Sloughs and backwaters are good places to set up your deeks.
Also your boat would make a great floating blind.

We used chicken wire woven with native grasses/branches and elec conduit for the frame.
A ramp for the dog is a good feature.
I have Rotts an a 6 year old lazy silver lab, so no dogs. My brother in-law was talkin about the Willamette slough. I've also been lookin at duck boat blind design ideas. Thanks for the info

If there are ducks about, the nastier the weather the better your chances.
Rainy, windy, miserable cold the weather = smoked duck and gravy on rice in my book.
From one of the few that actually like them, Good luck, I'm drooling already, and wishing I was twenty years younger.

If there are ducks about, the nastier the weather the better your chances.
Rainy, windy, miserable cold the weather = smoked duck and gravy on rice in my book.
From one of the few that actually like them, Good luck, I'm drooling already, and wishing I was twenty years younger.
I've never tried em. I'm just to burnt out on chasing steelhead in the winter, so sold my driftboat and lookin for somethin else to do. My grampa sais their greasy as hell, but my son in-law, sais cooked right, their pretty tasty an he's a chef

They can be greasy, and certain species are not as good as others. You are pretty close to a lot of spots on the ODFW hunting map keep in mind those spots are well known. Finding a few spots on the Willamette would be a good call, sometime the boat is just a way to get there, you won't necessarily hunt out of the boat.

I used to hunt ducks every day back when I had an "open schedule".
Wild duck meat being greasy is an Old Wive's Tale that keeps getting repeated over and over.
The tale comes from domestic duck meat which can be greasy.

Wild duck is good, dark meat.
It also makes into excellent jerky.

I too have given up on steelhead here in Wa, it's really bad on the Chehalis near my home.
Although I loved to do the cast n blast trips here for Coho & duck/goose drifting the river and sloughs.
As mentioned above, the nastiest weather the better.
I cook most of my ducks (mallards, pintails and GW teal) with one recipe, Swiss cheese duck but it is not for all species.

Good luck out there. Whack em and stack em.

Nah.....
bugs-bunny-and-daffy-duck.jpg

Hunting_Wabbits.jpg

Aloha, Mark

I don't know anything about duck hunting in Oregon
Your best bet would be to find public land and just go .
If you see another hunter by himself or herself.
Ask if you can sit in the blind with them .
Help setup decoys you will probably meet someone who is just starting out also .
Or you could meet the best duck hunter in Oregon.
I have been by myself hunting 5 or six times and let guys sit in my blind.
Just Don't show up with a crazy dog or a kid that won't sit still.
Or four other guys and take over somebody blind.
I met a few guys this way and still hunt with them sometimes.

I have not hunted for ducks in a number of years, but they are fun to hunt...
If you are a steelhead fisher, then you have the persistence necessary to become a good duck hunter...
Enjoy the journey.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top