JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Depends on use. For day-to-day, I've had a 5.11 pack that's taken beatings for about 13 years or so and still works as well as the day I got it. For hiking, I normally use my Mountain Hardwear bags but for the big hikes I grab my Osprey. I'm doing a Highlands hike in June in Scotland and taking the Osprey for that one. My SHTF/deep carry packs are Eberlestocks. They're built for purpose, so make sure you know what your purpose is. Those bags I've had 15 years and are solid.

This will all depend on what your needs are. There is no "one" bag for this. I use a Mountain Hardwear "Scrambler" bag. it is a lightweight mountain climbers bag and is very narrow side-to-side for good mobility.

It holds a full change of warm clothes, heavy duty belt, backup EDC knife, 100ft of paracord, water filter, first aid kit, lightweight goretex jacket and pants, and some K-rations. Well-broken in hiking boots are tied to the top grab handle
Not needing anything for back woods hikes or camping. More of a suburban get home grey man bag that will carry something like a 8.5" 300 blackout AR folder, mags, first aid etc. Something like the Vertx Commuter 2.0 was catching my eye.

Apologies in advance for the lengthy post! My typing got away from me.

Just a heads up, sling bags like the Vertx Commuter 2.0 aren't particularly comfortable if you plan on packing a lot of gear in them. I had to carry two hefty laptops and associated peripherals on an extended trip - the bag ended up being over 25 lbs, and it wasn't a great carry experience.

Where the Commuter 2.0 shines is as a rapid deployment bag - a means of discreetly carrying a duty pistol, PDW, or SBR in a manner that lets you get it into the fight quickly. It is able to house a ballistic panel for core protection, but they tend to be heavy so if you want to carry a bunch of other stuff in there, that'll all add up.

Personally I treat mine just like a chest rig. I carry a light loadout - weapon, mags, med kit, flashlight, knife, jacket, and other items. I normally have to lug around a laptop, so my weapon compartment is staged for pistol carry - it can easily accomodate a full size pistol, a handful of mags, and other odds n ends without adding too much weight. A Glock 17 and several standard capacity mags (or for fun, one with a flux or recover brace and a stack of 30-rounders) fits perfectly. It isn't as good as a rifle, but it beats the heck out of a subcompact pistol any day, and with practice the draw is only slightly longer than on-body. The bag is basically a big holster, so I always treat it as such. It stays on my body or in my hands at all times. When seated I sling it across my front so everything is readily accessible without it leaving my person.

While I could configure it for a PDW or braced pistol, i don't see the need unless things are REALLY sketchy at my intended destination and not going there isn't an option... obviously circumstances would be very limited, as I'd definitely rather not go to a destination where the threat potential is great enough to justify bringing a long gun. The only thing that comes to mind is having to drive through downtown during protests to help a family member or friend get home safely.

I highly recommend checking out LuckyGunner's video on The Backpack Gun Project - very well organized overview of the topic and the very specific circumstances in which a backpack gun may be an appropriate choice. Webpage with transcript linked below as well for those that prefer to read over watching.

Bought 11 years ago for ~$50
Functional but grey man. .

Asolo Sorcerer 33-Liter Technical Backpack

LwNM1bl.jpg

Oakley Icon has been my go-to 1 to 3 day pack for 12 years with no tears /wear or hardware breakage.
I have put that bag thru the wringer! over 12 seasons prospecting.
Beyond that a large US Army molle rucksack does the trick.

Hi All,

Dug out most of the internal packs to pre-check before we head out starting this season. Someone posted up a while back wanting to see some backpacks. Here's some of mine. Northface Renegade (Dana Designs Terraplane copy), Kelty Coyote 4750, Jansport Redline 45, Mt. Hardware Excodus (X2 one's hiding), Gregeory (another Terraplane style), Osprey Aether 70, stack of day packs, Jansport Sortie 38 (X2), Mountain Smith Crosscountry II, Northface Terra 50. Also have half a dozen Camelbacs in various sizes.
DSCN0619_zpsa9082251.jpg

The external frames (crappy old pics), I've added a couple different Jansports since. I also have enough tents to shealter 32 bodies (1s, 2s, 3s, 5, and 8), mess kits for each pack, 4 Coleman 2 burners, a 3 burner and oven, 6 single stoves (MSRs, Coleman Apexs, others).
DSCN0212.jpg
DSCN0213.jpg

Most all bought second hand, some were never used or only used once. I pick up all the decent gear I come across. Since '04 I've put about 23 rookies on the trail. PAX

Hi All,

Dug out most of the internal packs to pre-check before we head out starting this season. Someone posted up a while back wanting to see some backpacks. Here's some of mine. Northface Renegade (Dana Designs Terraplane copy), Kelty Coyote 4750, Jansport Redline 45, Mt. Hardware Excodus (X2 one's hiding), Gregeory (another Terraplane style), Osprey Aether 70, stack of day packs, Jansport Sortie 38 (X2), Mountain Smith Crosscountry II, Northface Terra 50. Also have half a dozen Camelbacs in various sizes.
View attachment 1374373

The external frames (crappy old pics), I've added a couple different Jansports since. I also have enough tents to shealter 32 bodies (1s, 2s, 3s, 5, and 8), mess kits for each pack, 4 Coleman 2 burners, a 3 burner and oven, 6 single stoves (MSRs, Coleman Apexs, others).
View attachment 1374374
View attachment 1374375

Most all bought second hand, some were never used or only used once. I pick up all the decent gear I come across. Since '04 I've put about 23 rookies on the trail. PAX
Wow
All that space could have been used for ammunition storage...

Hi All,

View attachment 1374373

View attachment 1374374
View attachment 1374375

I think you need a few more backpacks.

Wow
All that space could have been used for ammunition storage...
BTW, this is the gun rack the internal frames are hanging from, it's in my bunker/gun room where there's over 30K in ammo, 9MM, .357, .45, 06, X74, X51, X39, 7MM, 8MM. I have about 750 rounds each of .270, .22-250, & .41 mag. And of course, tons of .22. I was one of those that bought cheap & stacked deep in the past decades. PAX
20221031-132400.jpg

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews