Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF).. A Quart'll Do Ya!

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by Certaindeaf, Apr 17, 2014.

1. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I've got 'em all but my real go to is ATF. I do modify it sometimes a bit for "cleaning".. a bit of mineral spirits.. and for more long hanging lube, I add some bar chain oil. kerpow!

2. Jamie6.5

Jamie6.5 Western OR Well-Known Member

Oh noes,....
    Here we go again! ;)

3. Certaindeaf

Hey, we're not talkin' olive oyle here.. swoon. lol
    You were expecting wha?

4. Jamie6.5

F2CMaDMaXX likes this.
  5. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

I made an Ed's Red, post in here as well, which uses ATF, adds some other bits as straight oil isn't quite enough ;) (as nasty as ATF actually is, man that stuff stinks!)

6. coop44

coop44 Tacoma ,WA Well-Known Member

mobil one, wd40, almost anything will do in a pinch

7. Engineer1982

Engineer1982 Portland Member

Interesting pointers. I'll give it a try.

8. Certaindeaf

I've been using it for about everything over the past some years.. from external protection to internal lubrication. Perhaps it's an attractant but that's fine.. what oil is not.. the grime pretty much just wipes away.

9. Nickb

Nickb Moxee Active Member

Might have to give some of those a try after reading that other thread posted.

10. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

It's certainly a cheap cool product a lot of people like. However, if you're interested in moving away from petroleum cleaners, it's not the answer.

Check out the Bore-sight thread for some insight into that. I love being able to clean and lube everything inside the house.

11. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

F2CMaDMaXX likes this.
  12. F2CMaDMaXX

Koda likes this.
  13. Koda

Koda Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Never run a gun dry and any lube is better than no lube..... which explaines the fallacy behind so many personal favorites being "the best"

F2CMaDMaXX likes this.
  14. F2CMaDMaXX

Exactly.
    I'm not someone with vast firearms background (being fairly new to having the right to ownership) but from an engineering point of view (of which fascinates me most about firearms) it only makes sense that they will need lubrication, of any type.

The only real differences are going to be how long it will last under use (and passage of time) and how they attract/release dirt.

15. Jamie6.5

Good article MaDMaxx, thanks.
    People tend to forget that different conditions may call for different lubes.
    The lubes I used when I lived in the dusty and cold conditions of central and eastern Oregon are hardly suitable for the humid, rain-soaked area known as the Willamette Valley.
    Here in the valley, it is imperative that I prevent rust and moisture intrusion, but dust and freeze ups are almost non-existent.
    Over there, it was imperative that I prevented dust and grit accumulation that would have accelerated wear. I also needed a lube for my shotgun that wouldn't promote/allow freeze-ups when hunting in a goose blind at 10-15*F on a December/January morning.

So just because you think you've found the "best" lube for you, doesn't mean it will suit someone else's needs. Especially if they're in a different geographical area.

F2CMaDMaXX likes this.
  16. Idaho44

Idaho44 Idaho, West of Beaver Dicks Ferry Active Member

55 Gal. drum of 'lubricant' or other 'magical' product purchased at 'bulk price' and repackaged into cute "oz' size container. Can you say 'marketing and profit'? Back in the day it was 3 in 1 oil (vegetable) and singers sewing machine oil. How about that whale oil?

17. YOURSUPREMECOMMANDER

YOURSUPREMECOMMANDER Raleigh Hills, Or. Active Member

F2CMaDMaXX likes this.
  18. Jamie6.5

Well there's your problem.
    Dextron is different than Dexron.

Hmmmm, something else is odd too, something must be off.
    My Supreme Commander wouldn't drive a Honda. ;-)

Last edited: May 2, 2014
    YOURSUPREMECOMMANDER likes this.
  19. F2CMaDMaXX

Nice try ;) but really, Hondas won't take the generic stuff, they don't like it. Atf, nope, power steering, nope, manual trans, kinda.

20. Jamie6.5

I am reminded of the riddle:
    If NISsan MOtorsports is abbreviated "NISMO," doesn't that mean HOnda MOtorsports should be abbreviated: "HOMO?"

Leave it to Honda to re-invent the wheel, er the lubricant.