JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I've got 'em all but my real go to is ATF. I do modify it sometimes a bit for "cleaning".. a bit of mineral spirits.. and for more long hanging lube, I add some bar chain oil. kerpow!

I made an Ed's Red, post in here as well, which uses ATF, adds some other bits as straight oil isn't quite enough ;) (as nasty as ATF actually is, man that stuff stinks!)

I've been using it for about everything over the past some years.. from external protection to internal lubrication. Perhaps it's an attractant but that's fine.. what oil is not.. the grime pretty much just wipes away.

It's certainly a cheap cool product a lot of people like. However, if you're interested in moving away from petroleum cleaners, it's not the answer.

Check out the Bore-sight thread for some insight into that. I love being able to clean and lube everything inside the house.

I'm going to add an article from Vickers Tactical giving a much more brief overview on lubrication.
<removed broken link>

Last edited by a moderator:
Never run a gun dry and any lube is better than no lube..... which explaines the fallacy behind so many personal favorites being "the best"

Exactly.
I'm not someone with vast firearms background (being fairly new to having the right to ownership) but from an engineering point of view (of which fascinates me most about firearms) it only makes sense that they will need lubrication, of any type.

The only real differences are going to be how long it will last under use (and passage of time) and how they attract/release dirt.

Exactly.
I'm not someone with vast firearms background (being fairly new to having the right to ownership) but from an engineering point of view (of which fascinates me most about firearms) it only makes sense that they will need lubrication, of any type.

The only real differences are going to be how long it will last under use (and passage of time) and how they attract/release dirt.
Good article MaDMaxx, thanks.
People tend to forget that different conditions may call for different lubes.
The lubes I used when I lived in the dusty and cold conditions of central and eastern Oregon are hardly suitable for the humid, rain-soaked area known as the Willamette Valley.
Here in the valley, it is imperative that I prevent rust and moisture intrusion, but dust and freeze ups are almost non-existent.
Over there, it was imperative that I prevented dust and grit accumulation that would have accelerated wear. I also needed a lube for my shotgun that wouldn't promote/allow freeze-ups when hunting in a goose blind at 10-15*F on a December/January morning.

So just because you think you've found the "best" lube for you, doesn't mean it will suit someone else's needs. Especially if they're in a different geographical area.

Nice try ;) but really, Hondas won't take the generic stuff, they don't like it. Atf, nope, power steering, nope, manual trans, kinda.

I am reminded of the riddle:
If NISsan MOtorsports is abbreviated "NISMO," doesn't that mean HOnda MOtorsports should be abbreviated: "HOMO?"

Leave it to Honda to re-invent the wheel, er the lubricant.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top