JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I love the idea of laser sights on a carry gun, but activating the laser is just one step I doubt there would be time for in an SD situation and I hate those little pressure buttons on some of them.

I would love to be smart enough to design a laser sight and holster combo that takes away the need to activate the laser on a carry gun. You could build some sort of chip into the holsters (or maybe make one you can add onto existing holsters) that turn the lasers off when they are in the holster and when you pull the gun from the holster the laser would automatically activate if you had it on a certain setting.

There is the Armalaser model that senses your finger near it and turns itself on.

I like the Crimson Trace lasergrips on my revolvers and even have one on my Beretta M9. They let me focus on the target. Takes a bit getting used to after having "sight alignment, sight picture" literally beaten into your DNA but I am kind of a laser fanboy now. :)

It could probably be done fairly easily with some sort of magnetic switch. Configure a laser with a magnetic switch that is spring-activated in the "ON" position (which is opposite of a standard switch, but I imagine could be done), then add a rare-earth magnet to the holster that is strong enough to overcome the spring force and effectively hold the switch open, or "OFF". Then, as soon as the gun was drawn far enough out of the holster to release the pull of the magnet, the switch would return to ON immediately.

Only issue I could see is you would need some extra "OFF" switch that you could use if you were going to have the pistol unholstered for any period of time...but that wouldn't be too hard to add to the circuit.

It could probably be done fairly easily with some sort of magnetic switch. Configure a laser with a magnetic switch that is spring-activated in the "ON" position (which is opposite of a standard switch, but I imagine could be done), then add a rare-earth magnet to the holster that is strong enough to overcome the spring force and effectively hold the switch open, or "OFF". Then, as soon as the gun was drawn far enough out of the holster to release the pull of the magnet, the switch would return to ON immediately.

Only issue I could see is you would need some extra "OFF" switch that you could use if you were going to have the pistol unholstered for any period of time...but that wouldn't be too hard to add to the circuit.
I think what he is describing is exactly the system that my Blackberry uses to lock the keypad when I put it in the leather belt case. I don't know how the system works, but when I pull out my phone, it turns on the display and unlocks the keypad; when I put it in the holster, it powers-down the display and locks the keys. I love the idea of the same technology for a lazer.

Cool! I am prescient! :s0155:

I just got a survey from CT about what they need to improve their product line, (probably because I have so many!), and this is exactly what I suggested!

Personally, I like the pressure switch on the front of the grip, (NOT THE SIDE), as it gives me the option of having the laser on or off in the case of a clearance op, when I might not want to have my location flagged. Then again, I have been down that road and have a pretty good case of confidence in my abilities under pressure. However, for my wife and kids, I would prefer that the laser come on as soon as the weapon clears the leather so that it is there and available for them. A magnetic proximity switch or something similar with a master system switch, (which they already have), would solve the problem famously.

Now I just have to wait and see if they will send me a royalty check for pointing out the obvious for them. ;) Whataya think the chances are?

I think what he is describing is exactly the system that my Blackberry uses to lock the keypad when I put it in the leather belt case. I don't know how the system works, but when I pull out my phone, it turns on the display and unlocks the keypad; when I put it in the holster, it powers-down the display and locks the keys. I love the idea of the same technology for a lazer.

A magnet is what does that, only it's operated off of a sensor rather than a physical switch (which would probably work as well). My Droid2 has a similar setup for recognizing when I have placed it in the car dock or the home docking station - only it has a sensor in a different location for the two options (so it launches a different screen depending on which dock I use).

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews