JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Interesting. I received a WW2 serial # on my Service Grade (1943).

I was hoping for Korean War era International Harvester or H&R, but I heard the CMP staff picks through those first and very few get out.

Say it this way.......

Back when the DCM ran things.....you got to purchase one rifle for your lifetime (not to mention, actually having to participate in approved shooting activities). It was truly a "luck of the draw" as to what you got.

Now a days, you can purchase more than one. Though, check the web sight, the number limits may change. *Yes, there were people who bought many rifles...... with the intent to re-sell them (for profit) at Gun Shows. The requirements to purchase a rifle are also more laxed compared to when the DCM ran things. Read the requirements at the CMP web site.

The usual practice is that, prices vary by maker and by condition. The rare ones are sold at auction or kept as museum pieces. It's still the luck of the draw. Though the CMP will sell you a rifle as graded. And, that doesn't mean "correct numbers" either. In other words....read the grading criteria. Then, decide if it'll work you you.

If you want a better choice.....bid on a auction item.

The IHC and Winchester brands usually demand more dollars.
The H&R rifles were available. And, last time (Greek rifle imports) I can recall they sold at a slightly higher price vs the Springfield rifles.
Springfield rifles were made in greater numbers. So, they are priced accordingly.

People have been known to "request" rifles in a certain number range. BUT, there is no guarantee that your request will be honored. Remember. It's the luck of the draw.

*Perhaps there is a special place for them in _________.

BTW....I've only purchased SG (Service Grade) rifles. Here are some of the examples.......
M1-Garand-Springfield.jpg
M1-Garand-H-R.jpg
M1-Winchester.jpg
And this one from the old DCM.
M1-Garand-IHC.jpg

Aloha, Mark

PS....don't forget to feed your baby properly.
A53-C-1-A31-4381-83-CC-FFDB54-A7-FA7-D-zpsvzfoobwb.jpg

Last Edited:
Just saw this evening that CMP is now accepting applications for Service Grade (Good to Very Good) M1s for $750. Shipping is included in the price as is their new and improved CMP hard case (it really is a good case).

Just saw this evening that CMP is now accepting applications for Service Grade (Good to Very Good) M1s for $750. Shipping is included in the price as is their new and improved CMP hard case (it really is a good case).

Also, military ID counts for all the eligibility requirements (unless you're under E-5, in which case you'll need to prove citizenship separately).

Yep, mailed my order for a service grade yesterday. Been wanting one for a long time, just couldn't get the stars to line up. Now gotta figure out where to get some ammo.

Yep, mailed my order for a service grade yesterday. Been wanting one for a long time, just couldn't get the stars to line up. Now gotta figure out where to get some ammo.
My son just got some from sgammo.com. I just checked and they had some "match grade" still available. Pricey but available.

They're out currently but watch Creedmoor Sports. They supply the CMP branded ammo as well as selling their own. Their match grade is good stuff.

My son just got some from sgammo.com. I just checked and they had some "match grade" still available. Pricey but available.

They're out currently but watch Creedmoor Sports. They supply the CMP branded ammo as well as selling their own. Their match grade is good stuff.
I like SG, but looks like they are out of the Garand stuff. I'll have to keep my eyeballs peeled.

Say it this way.......

Back when the DCM ran things.....you got to purchase one rifle for your lifetime (not to mention, actually having to participate in approved shooting activities). It was truly a "luck of the draw" as to what you got.

Now a days, you can purchase more than one. Though, check the web sight, the number limits may change. *Yes, there were people who bought many rifles...... with the intent to re-sell them (for profit) at Gun Shows. The requirements to purchase a rifle are also more laxed compared to when the DCM ran things. Read the requirements at the CMP web site.

The usual practice is that, prices vary by maker and by condition. The rare ones are sold at auction or kept as museum pieces. It's still the luck of the draw. Though the CMP will sell you a rifle as graded. And, that doesn't mean "correct numbers" either. In other words....read the grading criteria. Then, decide if it'll work you you.

If you want a better choice.....bid on a auction item.

The IHC and Winchester brands usually demand more dollars.
The H&R rifles were available. And, last time (Greek rifle imports) I can recall they sold at a slightly higher price vs the Springfield rifles.
Springfield rifles were made in greater numbers. So, they are priced accordingly.

People have been known to "request" rifles in a certain number range. BUT, there is no guarantee that your request will be honored. Remember. It's the luck of the draw.

*Perhaps there is a special place for them in _________.

BTW....I've only purchased SG (Service Grade) rifles. Here are some of the examples.......
And this one from the old DCM.

Aloha, Mark

PS....don't forget to feed your baby properly.

Nice, you have one of each flavor. Win, SA, H&R and IHC. They look to be in very good
condition!

I like SG, but looks like they are out of the Garand stuff. I'll have to keep my eyeballs peeled.

Hummmm.....you guys got me thinking (dangerous)?

I got M2 ball HXP in 20 rd cartons in spam cans.
I got M2 ball HXP in bandoleers w/clips in the spam cans.

So then......
Is there any interest......
If perhaps, I wanted to sell some in the classifieds?

Yeah.....I know that my HXP is non-corrosive, boxer primer, brass cased, surplus from the late '60s and the '70s. But, could it be priced at what steel cased Russian non reloadable goes for? And/or what's a fair price for the ammo alone? And, how much is a Garand clip worth (on average w/no guarantee of genuine US mfns)?

BUT......
Being that it's in the spam can........
Well, you get to smell the Grecian air for for free.

Yes....I know that some lots of ammo were said to have some storage corrosion. So, it would only be fair of me, if I offered to replace questionable ammo 1 for 1.......if the spam can were opened in front of me.

What do you guys think?

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:

So then......

Yeah.....I know that my HXP is non-corrosive, boxer primer, brass cased, surplus from the late '60s and the '70s. But, could it be priced at what steel cased Russian non reloadable goes for? And/or what's a fair price for the ammo alone? And, how much is a Garand clip worth (on average w/no guarantee of genuine US mfns)?

BUT......

Yes....I know that some lots of ammo were said to have some storage corrosion. So, it would only be fair of me, if I offered to replace questionable ammo 1 for 1.......if the spam can were opened in front of me.

What do you guys think?

Aloha, Mark
I might need some, just sayin'!
Waiting on my service grade rifle. ;)

Reloading for the M1 Garand is your ammo solution. ;) Use powder of the appropriate burn rate. I have
used IMR 4064 for my Garands for +30 years. Bullet weight between 150 to 168 grain. Powder charge at
or below 'starting load'.:D My CMP and one DCM Garands.

1598440701444.png

So then......

BUT......

What do you guys think?

Aloha, Mark
HXP is pretty decent ammunition as far as surplus goes. CMP doesn't sell it anymore but they did hold back a bunch for their own use in test firing rifles. That is what we used a few months ago when I was there.

As for pricing, at this point it is whatever someone is willing to pay and whatever your reputation is worth. A couple of years ago HXP in spam cans was selling at CMP for .69 a round and a bit higher more recently before they ran out. I've seen other members here list it in the classifieds for over a buck a round and it seemed to go fairly quickly.

After market clips have been pretty readily available. I generally purchase them in quantity so pricing is fair and quality has been good. But if you're only interested in or can only get a small quantity of ammo having it come already loaded in clips would add value and be fair to add to the purchase price.

If you do decide to cut some loose I'll be one of the guys looking at your offering. I know a couple of others that will be as well. Good luck with your sale.

HXP is pretty good stuff, IMO better than the newly mfg. S&B or PPU Garand ammo. But it's not as good as the old Lake City ammo... I would not pay premium dollars to get the Greek enbloc clips, the park is so thick on those they get stuck in the magazine and/or routinely FTF. I took all my HXP out of those clips and reloaded it into newly mfg. enbloc clips, with 100% reliability.

I have a bag full of old Greek enbloc clips, if somebody wants to trade me a 20 round box of .223 they can have them all.

HXP is pretty decent ammunition as far as surplus goes. CMP doesn't sell it anymore but they did hold back a bunch for their own use in test firing rifles. That is what we used a few months ago when I was there.

As for pricing, at this point it is whatever someone is willing to pay and whatever your reputation is worth. A couple of years ago HXP in spam cans was selling at CMP for .69 a round and a bit higher more recently before they ran out. I've seen other members here list it in the classifieds for over a buck a round and it seemed to go fairly quickly.

After market clips have been pretty readily available. I generally purchase them in quantity so pricing is fair and quality has been good. But if you're only interested in or can only get a small quantity of ammo having it come already loaded in clips would add value and be fair to add to the purchase price.

If you do decide to cut some loose I'll be one of the guys looking at your offering. I know a couple of others that will be as well. Good luck with your sale.
For that matter, I've seen loaded clips selling for $4-$5 a piece at the OAC show...

For that matter, I've seen loaded clips selling for $4-$5 a piece at the OAC show...

I doubt it was a recent show or price.

Figure......
Even IF it was $1 for the clip, that would leave $4 for the 8 rounds of HXP. So then, $0.50 per round of HXP.

Rrrrright.....I'd be a buyer at those prices. Even though I have many rounds of HXP and many clips too.

Aloha, Mark

I doubt it was a recent show or price.

Figure......
Even IF it was $1 for the clip, that would leave $4 for the 8 rounds of HXP. So then, $0.50 per round of HXP.

Rrrrright.....I'd be a buyer at those prices. Even though I have many rounds of HXP.

Aloha, Mark
I don't know the head stamp, but it was supposed to be surplus. Definitely not M2 AP... but it was last August.
I suppose I should have bought it all up by that reaction... lol

Yup.....I'd be inclined to buy it all up. Though I have some reservations if it was from another country or corrosive or bedan primed. Then....even the Korean stuff has been known to have issues with certain lot#.

Aloha, Mark

PS....sort of on the subject of the M1 and ammo.

Last Edited:
Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top