JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Now, the last time I put some ammo up on "Great Deals", I hear "that's too much" and "I wouldn't pay that". They were unable to put up a better deal. So if you find a better deal, put it up here, don't just whine on about it. Here's the cavets: this is the Civilian Marksmanship program and it ain't like walking down to your local gun store. These Garands will sell out quick and you might not get one, so follow the terms and conditions they set out. The other cavet is that although they are real ...they are "Field Grade". If you want "sniper grade, look elsewhere:) I'm just putting it up for anyone who is interested in a fine piece of history.

M1 Garand - Civilian Marksmanship Program

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Last Edited:
the requirement to be a member of an affiliate program is annoying. Guess I'll have to call them monday. Was super interested in buying one

Now, the last time I put some ammo up on "Great Deals", I hear "that's too much" and "I wouldn't pay that". They were unable to put up a better deal. So if you find a better deal, put it up here, don't just whine on about it. Here's the cavets: this is the Civilian Marksmanship program and it ain't like walking down to your local gun store. These Garands will sell out quick and you might not get one, so follow the terms and conditions they set out. The other cavet is that although they are real ...they are "Field Grade". If you want "sniper grade, look elsewhere:) I'm just putting it up for anyone who is interested in a fine piece of history.

M1 Garand - Civilian Marksmanship Program

I am thinking that the field grade is awful beat up? Correct?

That is definitely one of the hardest websites to use with a phone I have encountered in a while. I couldn't find anywhere on it where the price for the firearm was.

that said I've always wanted a Garand and an M1A this would satisfy One of those itches

If I'm not mistaken, membership at ARPC counts for this, since ARPC is in the CMP program. Wish I could spare the $$, I don't think that's a bad price for field grade.

I've always used the option for a service grade. It's 750.00 and all have been in great shape. Chances are better to get a WWII serial # with a field grade, but nothing is guaranteed except what you get will match the grading criteria specified. Take some time and read the forums, it is a wealth of information.

CMP M1 Garand Forum

Last Edited:
I've always used the option for a service grade. It's 750.00 and all have been in great shape. Chances are better to get a WWII serial # with a field grade, but nothing is guaranteed except what you get will match the grading criteria specified. Take some time and read the forums, it is a wealth of information.

CMP M1 Garand Forum

Interesting. I received a WW2 serial # on my Service Grade (1943).

I was hoping for Korean War era International Harvester or H&R, but I heard the CMP staff picks through those first and very few get out.

If you don't get one of these or want a better grade just hang in there. I was in Anniston just before everything shut down a few months ago and they still had tens of thousands of the Philippine rifles in their warehouse. They have in the neighborhood of 10 to 12 tech's grading and checking rifles when not quarantined. They have three retail stores to stock along with on line so they are probably pretty back logged.

Interesting. I received a WW2 serial # on my Service Grade (1943).

I was hoping for Korean War era International Harvester or H&R, but I heard the CMP staff picks through those first and very few get out.

I too have received a WW2 service grade, but my other purchases have been post WW2. It's a crap shoot for sure and as they say it's "luck of the draw". The CMP is still the best bang for your buck when looking for a Garand. It's too bad we can't get them mailed directly to our homes anymore like it was prior SB 941.

I'm going to be honest, wanted a garand for a LOOOOONG time but every time I saw one for sale it was right around $1k Or sold out so quick it was hard to catch one and that's just a bit much for me.

Hopefully these last a little while as they seem to be an excellent price for a shooters grade firearm

I too have received a WW2 service grade, but my other purchases have been post WW2. It's a crap shoot for sure and as they say it's "luck of the draw". The CMP is still the best bang for your buck when looking for a Garand. It's too bad we can't get them mailed directly to our homes anymore like it was prior SB 941.
I really think what you get depends on when and how the rifles came into CMP. A while back they were selling Danish and I think Greek returned rifles. They are working on the Philippine returns now. Most of those are probably WW2 vintage.

Their process is to move a crate of rifles from the warehouse to their armory. There the technician takes a rifle off of the top of the pile and cleans it and checks function, makes any needed repairs and grades it. The rifle then goes into a rack and the technician moves to the next rifle.

All of the rare rifles (for whatever reason) go to the lead technician for special handling. A lot of what he handles goes to auction rather than retail. The really rare pieces go into CMP's makeshift museum.

My first two CMP rifles were WW2 vintage and my last was a hand select pre war rifle. All three are SA.

Unfortunately, I think the only way that you're going to get one of the CMP rifles without being encumbered by 941 is to drive to one of their retail stores, pay for it, and drive it home with you. Considering the nearest store is over 2K miles away it doesn't seem too practical. :(

I'm going to be honest, wanted a garand for a LOOOOONG time but every time I saw one for sale it was right around $1k Or sold out so quick it was hard to catch one and that's just a bit much for me.

Hopefully these last a little while as they seem to be an excellent price for a shooters grade firearm
Start saving. They still have tens of thousands of the Philippine rifles left and they told us a few months ago that they were working on a smaller deal for rifles from a different country. I suspect that they'll have rifles in all grades for at least a few more years.

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top