Attention bowhunters-- 2021 changes

Superglide

Reactions
Looking at the new regs for next year, I noticed that there are significant changes for archery such as controlled hunts by unit on the east side of Oregon. Meaning you can only hunt for the unit you drew.
Western Oregon still has a general archery season.

I don't bowhunt, but I remember when they made the similar changes to rifle season. Game numbers have been dropping since-- with fewer hunters each year in the field. o_O:s0092:

Reactions
Thanks for the update.
I suspect ODFW is 1) attempting to slow the movement of hunters thoughout the State for trophy bucks/bulls 2) Slow the percentage of steady growth in the bow hunting segment ie people choosing bow hunts over rifle. I know plenty of guys(and gals) who no longer rifle hunt deer/elk for various reasons, myself included.
Honestly, I have no idea the true intent; guess it's time for me to start asking some questions.:confused:

RVTECH

Reactions
Honestly, I have no idea the true intent; guess it's time for me to start asking some questions.
The 'true intent' has always been to reduce the overall number of hunters in the field, and make up the revenue with 'cash & carry' hunts, 'raffle hunts' and increase the number of landowner preference tags which gives the landowner the ability to sell his tags for incredible amounts to those who can pay, and the landowner works with 'guide services' to assist those who buy the tags.

I'll bet not too many remember when the synopsis looked like this.

1974.jpg

Last edited:

Grizzly_A

Reactions
As I understand, it’s to help better address the low deer herd numbers and keep a certain level of harvest in balance with the herds.

my question, since I’m not a bow hunter....how much does the change really affect you? Do you drive all over central and eastern Oregon looking for a dumb deer? Or do you scout an area, set up camp and hunt the same general area for the season?

how many folks pull camp and move between several different units (assuming you’re not camped on a border)??

v0lcom13sn0w

Reactions
The 'true intent' has always been to reduce the overall number of hunters in the field, and make up the revenue with 'cash & carry' hunts, 'raffle hunts' and increase the number of landowner preference tags which gives the landowner the ability to sell his tags for incredible amounts to those who can pay, and the landowner works with 'guide services' to assist those who buy the tags.

I'll bet not too many remember when the synopsis looked like this.

View attachment 786244
not old enough to remember those synopsis but i have one i found in my late grandpa’s belongings YEARS ago. i keep it above my work bench on display with some other things that are important to me

33701628-1A82-4E42-A822-62585D64394F.jpeg

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course Webinar (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Washington, USA
Rimfire Challenge Feb 13th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
Rimfire Challenge May 8th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Paul A Martin Historical Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great shop, selection and atmosphere
    One of the better firearm shop experiences I’ve had, Paul is very patient and helpful. Definitely going to be a repeat customer even though it’s...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Service! A+
    Steve is a very nice guy and very easy to work with. I've done business with him a few times and will continue to.
    5.00 star(s)
    Great guy!
    Steve is a great guy to deal with!
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Nice Home Shop
    Had what I wanted at a good price. Messaged me when in stock.
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Service
    Steve is an excellent guy to deal with. After looking at some Form 4 items at another dealer who didnt seem interested in my money, i emailed...
Top Bottom