JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking at the new regs for next year, I noticed that there are significant changes for archery such as controlled hunts by unit on the east side of Oregon. Meaning you can only hunt for the unit you drew.
Western Oregon still has a general archery season.

I don't bowhunt, but I remember when they made the similar changes to rifle season. Game numbers have been dropping since-- with fewer hunters each year in the field. o_O:s0092:

Thanks for the update.
I suspect ODFW is 1) attempting to slow the movement of hunters thoughout the State for trophy bucks/bulls 2) Slow the percentage of steady growth in the bow hunting segment ie people choosing bow hunts over rifle. I know plenty of guys(and gals) who no longer rifle hunt deer/elk for various reasons, myself included.
Honestly, I have no idea the true intent; guess it's time for me to start asking some questions.:confused:

Honestly, I have no idea the true intent; guess it's time for me to start asking some questions.
The 'true intent' has always been to reduce the overall number of hunters in the field, and make up the revenue with 'cash & carry' hunts, 'raffle hunts' and increase the number of landowner preference tags which gives the landowner the ability to sell his tags for incredible amounts to those who can pay, and the landowner works with 'guide services' to assist those who buy the tags.

I'll bet not too many remember when the synopsis looked like this.

1974.jpg

Last Edited:
wow this sucks. archery is tough enough as it is, now a guy has to draw? the hunters who live in eastern oregon are REALLY getting the shaft now.

As I understand, it's to help better address the low deer herd numbers and keep a certain level of harvest in balance with the herds.

my question, since I'm not a bow hunter....how much does the change really affect you? Do you drive all over central and eastern Oregon looking for a dumb deer? Or do you scout an area, set up camp and hunt the same general area for the season?

how many folks pull camp and move between several different units (assuming you're not camped on a border)??

The 'true intent' has always been to reduce the overall number of hunters in the field, and make up the revenue with 'cash & carry' hunts, 'raffle hunts' and increase the number of landowner preference tags which gives the landowner the ability to sell his tags for incredible amounts to those who can pay, and the landowner works with 'guide services' to assist those who buy the tags.

I'll bet not too many remember when the synopsis looked like this.

View attachment 786244
not old enough to remember those synopsis but i have one i found in my late grandpa's belongings YEARS ago. i keep it above my work bench on display with some other things that are important to me

33701628-1A82-4E42-A822-62585D64394F.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top