JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Looking into regulations...if I'm reading correctly, I can hunt as an agent of the owner on their property for coyote at night. I'm looking at purchasing a thermal scope. Also finding any land owners that maybe want some coyotes taken care of. I have suppressed firearms also anyone have any info on if I'm going in the right direction? If so, any land owners want to chime in?

No optics which produce a light out. Which thermal does not. Also from what I read, does not pertain to private property. Hoping to find people who actively coyote hunt.

Looking into regulations...if I'm reading correctly, I can hunt as an agent of the owner on their property for coyote at night. I'm looking at purchasing a thermal scope. Also finding any land owners that maybe want some coyotes taken care of. I have suppressed firearms also anyone have any info on if I'm going in the right direction? If so, any land owners want to chime in?
Let me know if you need an inexpensive IR light. I have one that I bought to test a through-the-scope IR camera and I don't need it anymore. It has adjustable beam and both back of light and pressure switches. It's inexpensive. I used it out to about 100 yards for scope cam. U can see in 100% darkness with it with night optics and emits no visible light.

FYI here is my crazy but cheap IR setup I was testing just for fun.

Pretty much any canon point and shoot camera (including $10 old ones) if u remove the IR filter it can record video in infrared. Mount that behind scope to a gun with IR light and you have night vision. My problem was with the camera mount. It was too fussy but was only $18 from amazon. A more solid mount this idea might work well. As is I would say not ready for prime time/too fragile. But basic idea is good and it does work out to about 100 yards

Total cost -
1) Ir light $45. This light is now only $24 on amazon (link below). Works great. Well worth the tiny cost imo. It is critical that the light zooms so u can reach a far distance.
2) camera mount - $18. Too cheap and too flimsy.. Idea might work with a solid mount. Look for "digiscope" or "digiscoping" mounts or check tedsholdover on YouTube to find what he uses (his video through the scope are awesome).
3) any old point and shoot canon camera. U have to take it apart and remove the IR filter. Not difficult and instructions online if u search for it. I had an ancient one lying around so mine was free but these are like $10-$20. The simpler the better (but ability to Manual focus would help a ton) and small size lens is best. newer fancy ones (which I also have) don't work as well for digiscoping. No ambient light at all is needed for this setup. What u see on the camera's lcd looks just like the deer and raccoon photos on the amazon Ir light add posted below (except u see crosshairs of course and there is a more of a purplish color cast to everything not straight white). 1DCEB351-F544-40D4-A745-009CADB386C2.jpeg
camera holder mounted on scope and IR light in front. Folding stock temporarily removed for photo.
CFC84F58-FFF6-4312-9984-787E84C5E2BD.jpeg Amazon Ir light link FYI:

Last Edited:
Unfortunately the law in Oregon is very clear on NV:

Prohibited Methods
It is unlawful to:
Hunt, locate, or scout for the purpose of hunting any wildlife with infrared or other night vision sight or equipment except trail cameras.

You will notice it says "any wildlife" and "other night vision sight or equipment" There are no exemptions for predators or private land. And if you get caught as an agent using NV the landowner will also be charged.

I shoot predators and invasive species on many properties using spotlights. In fact I am leaving Wednesday for five days of varmint hunting in Central Oregon for ranchers getting ready for calving season. I have shot lots of coyotes at night using visible light. Get two lights, a low intensity(head lamp) to find the eyes and then a 16 million candle at shooting time. Might not matter, most of the ranches I hunt on really do not like any hunting at night. I only try spotlighting if there are any left after calling during the day for at least 4 or 5 trips.

As for finding places to hunt coyotes, good luck. Even just 10 years ago I had more places than I could get to in a year. Now I have enough to make it worth the trip for five days. Most have been leased by guides. My favorite place in the entire state was south of Burns and a year ago they informed me they had leased all the hunting rights to a guide who brought in "sports" for $300 a day. I had shot dozens of coyotes there and lots of badgers! 16,000 acres gone just like that.

great info. Sad to hear. I talked to Oregon state police. He said I could do whatever on private property as far as coyotes. I ended up just buying a new leupold mark 5hd to play with instead of thermal. Nothing sounded promising. All sounded like grey areas.

Unfortunately the law in Oregon is very clear on NV:

Prohibited Methods
It is unlawful to:
Hunt, locate, or scout for the purpose of hunting any wildlife with infrared or other night vision sight or equipment except trail cameras.

You will notice it says "any wildlife" and "other night vision sight or equipment" There are no exemptions for predators or private land. And if you get caught as an agent using NV the landowner will also be charged.

I shoot predators and invasive species on many properties using spotlights. In fact I am leaving Wednesday for five days of varmint hunting in Central Oregon for ranchers getting ready for calving season. I have shot lots of coyotes at night using visible light. Get two lights, a low intensity(head lamp) to find the eyes and then a 16 million candle at shooting time. Might not matter, most of the ranches I hunt on really do not like any hunting at night. I only try spotlighting if there are any left after calling during the day for at least 4 or 5 trips.

As for finding places to hunt coyotes, good luck. Even just 10 years ago I had more places than I could get to in a year. Now I have enough to make it worth the trip for five days. Most have been leased by guides. My favorite place in the entire state was south of Burns and a year ago they informed me they had leased all the hunting rights to a guide who brought in "sports" for $300 a day. I had shot dozens of coyotes there and lots of badgers! 16,000 acres gone just like that.

great info. Sad to hear. I talked to Oregon state police. He said I could do whatever on private property as far as coyotes. I ended up just buying a new leupold mark 5hd to play with instead of thermal. Nothing sounded promising. All sounded like grey areas.

Do you have his name? PM me his name if you have it. Last year a OSP trouper told me I could not use a spotlight for beavers. I pointed out the law to him, aren't smart phones great?

I will say buy the best light gathering scope you can afford even if you can't. I switched to Swarovski and noticed a HUGE difference in low light conditions. It took a lot of yotes to pay for the 6-18X50 in the picture.

I forgot to mention you already have the best thing you can purchase for coyote hunting, a suppressor. It pretty much doubled my kills.
20180923_100031_HDR.jpg

I've always wanted to get some yotes, never know where to start, but I guess this thread helped me way in advance. If you guys have any recommendations of where to start as far as public land, or even for private, please let me know!!
CHEERS!!!

FYI Found this interesting map of reported coyote sightings in Portland in 2019. Most poeple wouldn't know where to report it so this is probably a small representation of the actual sightings. The amount of pets taken by them is pretty large around here.

8157E6BD-8342-48FF-A059-B496759AAB6E.jpeg
BC66B65B-10B8-4A0E-823D-D66E6D545225.jpeg

Try to find some public lands around farming areas. Where there are rabbits there are coyotes, christmas valley, silver lake areas are good places to start.

Got a tip from an old-timer many years ago about shooting song dogs. He said after you shoot one, bury it in a shallow grave and it's buddies will come to inspect in a day or so. Shoot them. Bury them. Repeat.

Interesting. I remember driving through antelope country and the big thing was to hang coyotes on barbed wire fences. They were everywhere. I think it was to keep coyotes away?

Rancher buddy out east (who snares most of the winter) built a small "coyote room" in the top of his barn: bunk beds, shooting bench, heater, television, beer fridge and sliding window that faced a farm light (street lamp duplicate) 185 yards away. Calf mortality carcasses were deposited under the light pole.

We'd bunk in that room (dead of winter) and do pretty well, waking up every 40min or an hour and check the killing field.

Over beers I suggested as a joke we get one of those driveway notification sensors and hang it on the pole, pointed at the bait pile. Without telling me, Rancher buddy put the idea to fruition before my next visit.

The doorbell chime would sound, we'd roll out of our bunks, step to the bench (with a rifle already sandbagged and aimed), spotter at the ready, and go to work.

We got a LOT more dogs and a LOT more sleep.

"We're Sportsmen!" Rancho Deluxe

Last Edited:
Hanging 'yotes on a fence dates back to the early 1900's as proof to the rancher to pay the bounty.

I had heard that too, but I always wondered how the (muted for good) coyote could communicate to the rancher who to pay? (Or some sort of scenario like this:, ("Howdy Mister Rancher Sir, I's jes callin' here on the phone ta tell ya if ya look at fencepost 762 after you leave the main highway there's a dead coyote hangin' there and I jest shot him! Yew owe me Ten Dollars. Stick it in the hind end of the coyote and I will pick it up tomorrow.") ???

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top