JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't think it will lead to all uppers being classified as firearms. That particular upper is a bolt action so it kinda makes sense to me.

Honestly lower receivers being classified as firearms makes little sense to me to begin with since all you really need to fire a bullet is a barrel with a chamber, and they have rifling which can act as a fingerprint...
It only makes sense in that the receiver determines how it will fire, making it possible to identify the action on paper.

Seems like convoluted logic meant to be the first step in a predetermined journey.
The destination of that journey is unclear at this point, but it definitely seems to contradict their own regulations re: FCGs and serialization edicts.
A $10 charging handle does much of what a bolt-action does... what's their end-game and who's paying them?

So you need a background check for the upper and the lower now? Might commit a crime in the 10 seconds between background checks? Sounds like typical ATF make-up-the-rules-as-we-see-fit garbage.

So do they think you push the firing pin with your finger?

On my SCAR16 the aluminum upper is considered the firearm, the plastic lower containing the trigger group is not serialized.

There is no non-serialized receiver (except home made) that will work with the upper. They only work with AR15 receivers. Soon we will have to do a background check for every single part on a firearm.

50 BMG is such a niche market that I'm sure the BAT-men expected it to go unnoticed. The Fudds don't care, and even Pro 2A dudes don't think it affects them.
Well, that's kind of true... it doesn't... until it does.
If the BATFE could ban and outlaw every... single... firearm... in the country, it would.
It would free em up to focus on booze and smokes... and apparently explosives. Neat-o.
Last time the BATFE did a pre-dawn raid on a liquor store or smoke shop to "check records"?
Anyone... ?

I think this is one way they are trying to get rid of 80% lowers. What is the difference between a normal upper and a bolt action one? One is gas operated while the other is user operated?

Once this goes through it paves the road for gun parts being serialized. 80% lowers will be pointless and no longer can you easily buy parts offline. That is the end goal.

Honestly lower receivers being classified as firearms makes little sense to me to begin with since all you really need to fire a bullet is a barrel with a chamber, and they have rifling which can act as a fingerprint...
It only makes sense in that the receiver determines how it will fire, making it possible to identify the action on paper.

It makes sense when without a lower receiver with a trigger, an upper is simply a paperweight, it's a pipe. The lower is the interface between shooter and firearm, it is the piece that the user actuates to control the firing of the gun.

Regulating AR uppers makes about as much sense as regulating bolt action or shotgun barrels sold separately.

To argue differently it would require all pipe to be regulated like firearms because you can make a 12ga single shot very easily with some pipe and a nail.

This type of ATF action only makes sense if you view it from the political platform of an anti-gun bureaucracy wanting to further encroach and erode the 2nd Amendment.

This type of ATF action only makes sense if you view it from the political platform of an anti-gun bureaucracy wanting to further encroach and erode the 2nd Amendment.
I agree with this 100%.
I don't own a 50 cal and doubt that I ever will... uncharacteristically playing into the anti's "Why do you need that*" argument... I don't. That's why I don't have one. But it's a bullsnit ruling (or determination, or reclassification, whatever) that lets the camel's nose under the tent... slippery slope... choose your euphemism. This is designed to bear fruit for the infringement pickers, of that I have no doubt.

*These arguments usually happen at a bar, with someone who has smokes in their pocket and booze in front of them. "Do you need THAT?" is a fun card to play... there is 0.0 reasonable responses.

I agree with this 100%.
I don't own a 50 cal and doubt that I ever will... uncharacteristically playing into the anti's "Why do you need that*" argument... I don't. That's why I don't have one. But it's a bullsnit ruling (or determination, or reclassification, whatever) that lets the camel's nose under the tent... slippery slope... choose your euphemism. This is designed to bear fruit for the infringement pickers, of that I have no doubt.

*These arguments usually happen at a bar, with someone who has smokes in their pocket and booze in front of them. "Do you need THAT?" is a fun card to play... there is 0.0 reasonable responses.

I don't own a 50 BMG upper either, but likewise, that doesn't mean I want the government getting their sticky fingers into making all uppers registered components. No point beating around the bush, total disarmament by death of a thousand cuts is the end game. This is just another attempted cut.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top