JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice.

Mine is an Ultralight Style backpack.
It has too much in it to go into detail ... but it is a full tilt 3-4 day back pack ... all packed with everything except a firearm.
Including an entire quality sleep system with a 2 man Bivy tent and quality camo tarps for above and below it.

All major contingencies are covered. (At least what one would need if they were to go to the mountains for 3-4 days.)

Because it is an ultralight ... It had to be packed to somewhat "frame" the internal contents.

It fits in a Sea Bag. So it is all bagged up.

I "cheated" a bit ... many items are Vacuum packed for max storage and to help "frame" the pack contents.

So ... if I did not eat all the food ... it might be a real project getting all the stuff back in.

So ... again ... It would take too much to go into what is in it ... but the fact that it is an ultralight and I "framed" the internal content build and that it has a full tent and 2 tarps is quite amazing.
It is legitimately almost a 4 season tent. (Only if I had trees around for the Kevlar twine to create a snow cover. 3 season otherwise.)
The sleep system is unique too. USGI Poncho. USGI Casualty Blanket. USGI Poncho Liner. A sleeping bag Liner. 2 Ultralight jackets that are pillows. (They are very warm.)
Sufficient layering of clothing that if done properly I believe I could easily sleep comfy warm in 0 degree weather. With all the various layers of tent tarps and ponchos and various specialty clothing it might take 10 layers to be toasty at 0 degrees ... but they are in there from Kevlar baclava and sleeves to kevlar gloves etc etc.
I made the Tarps from GI Camo Ripstop Material.

The materials in it would provide a year+ of fire, 300+ gallons of water (If I had a supply) and enough stuff to make perhaps 5 years of animal traps.

So my 72 hr bag has the potential to work for 1 person for a very very long time ... (Crap ... I didn't put seasoning in there. Rodents, Rabbits etc ... need seasoning.)

It could work for 2 people in a pinch.

Soap would be gone in 4 days tho.

I thought this was well done. The article already has me re-evaluating my GHB.

http://www.teamdelta.com/WhatsInMy72hrBag_final.pdf

Peter

^ I think the sleep system you are looking at, well to be honest I think you are going to get rather cold, I have not tried all of that gear together, but I have been backpacking where the temps dropped near zero or below. I would suggest everyone try the gear out for the purpose they intend to use it for in a bugout or get home situation in the weather the intend to use it in. But first use the gear in mildersituations and progress to that level at which they expect to use it. This if it does not hold up to expectations then they can regroup and redo the research and re-consider. This what I have done over the yrs. after not properly doing my research a couple of times some of my camping and backpacking trips got cut short.

Now When i have anew cook system, fire starting method, water purification system, sleep system what have you I give it dry runs mild or less extreme situations first and build to the expected degree of use and even beyond, I want to know that it is going to work and be there for me, for situation I did not expect or consider.

Just my opinion from lessons learned the hard way

I hear ya ... but having done wilderness survival since I was 11 ... I actually think I got it right ... I was going to say -20 degrees but I doubt that it could do that.

Yes ... I did say 11yo ... I am 53 now. Used to have the folks drop me 40-50 miles in the boonies with friends camping. (Those were the days ... as a pre-teen kid I had a 35 mile radius that I traveled. My folks did not know that. But the best fishing and outdoor rec often took me all day to get there and back.)

Lived in the country and spent my youth doing that and got trained in fieldcraft in my 20's

Basically the system needs to be tested as you have said. But it is essentially (With all the clothing layers) a bag inside a ripstop reflective mylar Tarp inside a new poncho liner inside a poncho.
That all inside a multiple layer tent apparatus.

It won't breathe "AT ALL" at those temps. yet with the top flight ultralight therms and wicking gear and 2 layers of full face head cover ... I am thinking it will work.

Gortex Full wrap hat with ear covers over a kevlar full head mask baclava with wool scarf and multiple layers of high insulate thermal clothing ... But I aint a fool ... I will test it at 36 degrees first .. lol ... because the whole idea is flexibility. At higher temps I have more padding ... at lower temps I have half the padding and would need to make a better padding under the tent ground cover tarp.

The key Isn't the sleep system but the tent and fly and extra tarps and the type of clothing I have in the pack. It is super gear.
If I was buck naked inside that setup ... it is a 30 degree bag with a few shivers. (Even with it properly bound together.)
But the other gear with layers would keep me warm itself down to 20-30 degrees without movement. (And wind)

^ I think the sleep system you are looking at, well to be honest I think you are going to get rather cold, I have not tried all of that gear together, but I have been backpacking where the temps dropped near zero or below. I would suggest everyone try the gear out for the purpose they intend to use it for in a bugout or get home situation in the weather the intend to use it in. But first use the gear in mildersituations and progress to that level at which they expect to use it. This if it does not hold up to expectations then they can regroup and redo the research and re-consider. This what I have done over the yrs. after not properly doing my research a couple of times some of my camping and backpacking trips got cut short.

Now When i have anew cook system, fire starting method, water purification system, sleep system what have you I give it dry runs mild or less extreme situations first and build to the expected degree of use and even beyond, I want to know that it is going to work and be there for me, for situation I did not expect or consider.

Just my opinion from lessons learned the hard way

Ive got dried and ready to eat food, water, fire sources, socks, undies, extra laces, rope, ammo, a blood clotting kit, water purification systems, 70% alcohol, good alcohol, peroxide, gloves, a light, multitool, nail clippers, a rain jacket and a rain cover for the bag.
Stuff always goes in and out of it due to where Im playing around at for that day/week.
It was really wieghed down at first.. Theres a big difference between a "we've got to get out of here grab everything you ever need" bag and an EDC bag.

Odds are a TON of stuff can and should be omitted from an EDC bag. I always revise my list of wants and needs in the bag to make sure any extra weight isn't getting hauled around.
I feel if I need my 72hr bag its because I need to get back home and S hit the Fan. My ability to blend it, stay hydrated/fueled and to be able to put up a good fight
(primary or secondary + a decent amount of rationed ammo)
in order to get home.

Also, I wish you all could/would post pictures.
Im always open to new gear/food ideas for a 72hr and BOBs.
Also how you all make use of every last inch of your gear bags.
Some folks come up with pretty ingenious and adaptive ideas.

Also, I wish you all could/would post pictures.
Im always open to new gear/food ideas for a 72hr and BOBs.
Also how you all make use of every last inch of your gear bags.
Some folks come up with pretty ingenious and adaptive ideas.

I think the terms OPSEC and PERSEC comes into play here.... that said; my 72 hour rig is always on my bicycle in one or two of the USGI packs attached to the racks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top