JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
In all of my shooting of various AR15 type rifles / carbines while as a civilian ....I've only had to use the forward assist a handful of times...

However...when using the M16A1 -A2 series of rifles and the CAR-15 series / M4 Carbine , while in the Army and in combat ...
I have had to use the forward assist a lot....I don't have a exact number and yes I know anecdotally gotten information is flawed....
But I was glad it was there nevertheless.
Andy

I did have to use the Forward Assist once and it was at a critical moment. One other time, I just pushed forward on the BCG with my thumb. So I don't mind having it.

I'll admit I'm not an AR guy. But I never understood a semi-auto or select-fire weapon design with something to help manually seat the chambered round. Why was this considered needed? Sounds like a way of addressing the symptom of a design flaw, but not fixing the actual flaw.

I'll put on my body armor and wait for incoming flak.

Why was this considered needed?
I can not say why it was needed when first designed or first fielded...as I wasn't there.
I have heard many reasons as to the why....but again I wasn't there.

I can say that when I used it on the M16 series of guns , it was to fully chamber a round in the breech....what caused the round to not fully be seated...?
Well when I had to use the forward assist , I really didn't have the time for a detailed check...but I really needed my rifle or carbine to shoot and shoot now.....

I would guess it is there to help fully seat a round in a dirty or not lubed breech.....

So again....at least for me...I like 'em....even if I won't be in a position to have use one again.
Andy

In all of my shooting of various AR15 type rifles / carbines while as a civilian ....I've only had to use the forward assist a handful of times...

However...when using the M16A1 -A2 series of rifles and the CAR-15 series / M4 Carbine , while in the Army and in combat ...
I have had to use the forward assist a lot....I don't have a exact number and yes I know anecdotally gotten information is flawed....
But I was glad it was there nevertheless.
Andy

Don't you worry about them anecdotal haters, they were abused children and forced to wash in elderberries.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top