JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Made it down with my wife. She didn't complain and she actually made a few purchases. A knife and some cheap binoculars. Which really surprised me. She really is starting to up her safety game and has been working on her shooting too. Unfortunately I couldn't find what I was looking for but a good day overall.

Okay, you seem to be wise in the way of gun shows like this. Does the guy with the high end Winchester lever actions sell much? Good lord, he had one that was $75,000.00!!!:eek: Not saying they aren't worth it, I dunno. I did notice that there weren't many people looking at them. It was good place to take a break from the "Sardine" atmosphere of a lot of the isles. I spent some time looking them over. Would have been a treat to fondle, but I'm not stoopid and start working levers on guns like that.

I am not wise but have some expearience.:D I have been going to shows for many years and been on both sides of the game. Dealers are very different one from another and they price their guns different by what they believe the market will bear. Some of the guys will put out something so high priced you can't believe it to establish a reputation that they have "quality" and know their business.. I remember a guy long gone that put up a semi auto Thompson with a god awful price just to look good to the public but could not afford to buy false teeth.:D

Some of the guns have real value do to history and some of the guns are in the hands of salesmen looking for an idiot. Where you learn the difference is after being there for decades you know the reputations of each of the dealers. When you spend real money go armed with the best knowledge available, know what you are buying and a thief can't take advantage of you by selling you what really isn' true.o_O

Last Edited:
"Sell the sizzle not the steak"
Personally I'm skeptical of nearly all/any/each fancy story that comes with some conveniently bumped upward otherwise unremarkable firearm

I know you guys could care less but sometimes you do things at the shows just because you are bored. Two old gals and their man came in and got fixated on a older CZ semi with a bayonet blade on it. They were terrified of the blade as I showed them how it folds out and asked about bayonets today on modern guns. I gave them an honest rundown as to how the bayonet is mostly used as a tool in daily life far more than killing people.

So the better looking single old gal stayed a moment after husband and wife walked off. She got out her phone to take a picture of the gun and asked if it was all right. Told her let me make sure my fly is zipped.:D

Haven't gone to a gun show in a while. But in the past, there was a lots of fun/funny things to see and hear at a gun show.

if_you_voted_for_OBAMA.jpg

Internet photo, not mine.

Aloha, Mark

Well, it wasn't a completely wasted trip. I got to harass @BanjoGeek and @Colts4me about their "overpriced crap". Nah, just kidding.

I did however get to listen to banjo do a little picking, got to have Jerry sharpen my knife, found a copy of Campbell's 1903 Springfield book, and found a new in the wrap 03/03a3 barrel. Plus got to see friends I only see every few months when they all converge to table at good gunshows.

Well, it wasn't a completely wasted trip. I got to harass @BanjoGeek and @Colts4me about their "overpriced crap". Nah, just kidding.

I did however get to listen to banjo do a little picking, got to have Jerry sharpen my knife, found a copy of Campbell's 1903 Springfield book, and found a new in the wrap 03/03a3 barrel. Plus got to see friends I only see every few months when they all converge to table at good gunshows.

Banjo had the table, I was there helping the 83 year old guy behind him run his table. I wont' sell until I reach 70 and then I will set up a table of my own. Nice introduction as you went by, made me feel right at home:D

I really wish I'd known which tables were yours @MountainBear and @Colts4me . Knowing you from here I think I'd feel less likely to be taken. Or maybe you'd be more likely to give me a better deal knowing I'm fairly new to this game, and a member here? :D One of you spoke to "Decades" for learning in the business. I only have about 8 years. I'm 63, but as far as firearms, and all that go with them, I'm more like 22.

And on the Thompson Submachine gun. There was one there. 1928 it said and $23,000.00 I believe.

I really wish I'd known which tables were yours @MountainBear and @Colts4me . Knowing you from here I think I'd feel less likely to be taken. Or maybe you'd be more likely to give me a better deal knowing I'm fairly new to this game, and a member here? :D One of you spoke to "Decades" for learning in the business. I only have about 8 years. I'm 63, but as far as firearms, and all that go with them, I'm more like 22.

And on the Thompson Submachine gun. There was one there. 1928 it said and $23,000.00 I believe.

The Thompson was a West Hurley and while they are the low end of Thompsons because of the changes in manufacturing process it becomes important to know when it was manufactured. What most didn't notice on the price tag was all the extras that went with the subgun, thousands of dollars in extras. Machineguns prices have gone through the roof but they are hard to find now. If you want info I can give you the NFA dealers number, he is the most honest man in that gun show, I have known him for decades, shot with him in the matches, we are ARPC life members and I can get you all the references you need to trust him.

As far as getting a bad deal it only happens when the buyer doesn't go armed with knowledge of what he is doing. Study and you won't make a mistake. Honest men don't need to "sell" the gun if the buyer knows what he wants.

The Thompson was a West Hurley and while they are the low end of Thompsons because of the changes in manufacturing process it becomes important to know when it was manufactured. What most didn't notice on the price tag was all the extras that went with the subgun, thousands of dollars in extras. Machineguns prices have gone through the roof but they are hard to find now. If you want info I can give you the NFA dealers number, he is the most honest man in that gun show, I have known him for decades, shot with him in the matches, we are ARPC life members and I can get you all the references you need to trust him.

As far as getting a bad deal it only happens when the buyer doesn't go armed with knowledge of what he is doing. Study and you won't make a mistake. Honest men don't need to "sell" the gun if the buyer knows what he wants.

Off topic but....Are you saying it was a model of 1928 and not an original '28? And, no but thanks...I'm not looking to buy.

"Knowledge" yes, that's why it's tough for me. I've been doing a lot of reading of Swede Mausers, so I can be mostly confident when I'm looking at those.

Going to show you a good screwing waiting to happen. This add on gun broker is in my opinion a lie, pure and simple. If you know what you are buying you would never buy this gun but greed tends to make folks do dumb things. His claim the the New Frontier was made in 1956 is wrong because they didn't make them until 1961. The serial number is in the 1980 era so it makes it a third generation and in the shape it's in worth about $700 in my opinion. All the information is easily found out to make a good add but my guess is he is looking for a sucker.

If you are going to put up some real money then know what you are buying.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/750429987

Off topic but....Are you saying it was a model of 1928 and not an original '28? And, no but thanks...I'm not looking to buy.

"Knowledge" yes, that's why it's tough for me. I've been doing a lot of reading of Swede Mausers, so I can be mostly confident when I'm looking at those.

It was a West Hurley copy of the 1928, accurate in every way to the original except how it was manufactured.

Going to show you a good screwing waiting to happen. This add on gun broker is in my opinion a lie, pure and simple. If you know what you are buying you would never buy this gun but greed tends to make folks do dumb things. His claim the the New Frontier was made in 1956 is wrong because they didn't make them until 1961. The serial number is in the 1980 era so it makes it a third generation and in the shape it's in worth about $700 in my opinion. All the information is easily found out to make a good add but my guess is he is looking for a sucker.

If you are going to put up some real money then know what you are buying.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/750429987

A+ rated seller no less. :eek:

E

Another worthless story but banjogeek had a banjo at the show playing it. Along comes the fellow bigger than mountain bear saying he can play so banjo handed it to him and he played like a champ. The guy was left handed so he had to learn it backwards.:cool:

It was a West Hurley copy of the 1928, accurate in every way to the original except how it was manufactured.

:eek: :eek: What's an original M '28 Thompson gonna cost then? Sheesh.

Another worthless story but banjogeek had a banjo at the show playing it. Along comes the fellow bigger than mountain bear saying he can play so banjo handed it to him and he played like a champ. The guy was left handed so he had to learn it backwards.:cool:

Wish I'd got to be there for that! Love me some banjo music! We got to hear the bag pipes though...o_O Didn't realize how loud those are. Luckily they ran out of air before we got right up to them. I don't mind a little, and I realize the importance of the pipes to people and fully respect that.

:eek: :eek: What's an original M '28 Thompson gonna cost then? Sheesh.

Wish I'd got to be there for that! Love me some banjo music! We got to hear the bag pipes though...o_O Didn't realize how loud those are. Luckily they ran out of air before we got right up to them. I don't mind a little, and I realize the importance of the pipes to people and fully respect that.

Machineguncentral -Savage, 1928, Early Thompson, 1941

Machineguncentral -Savage, C&R, M1 Thompson

Machineguncentral -Thompson, C&R, 1928AC, Bridgeport

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads