JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yet, Hemingway was an avid hunter. He especially loved bird hunting:

View attachment 270004

View attachment 270002

And he hunted big game all over the world:

View attachment 270003

Many people do not know this, but his .45 caliber Thompson Submachine gun was one of his favorite guns. He would take it with him when going after big fish in the ocean. If a shark came along to try to take away a fish that he caught, he was ready to blast it with his Thompson.

It was also an effective defense against any human predators that he might encounter at sea.View attachment 270005
Hemingway, Clark Gable, Lon Chaney, and several other famous people used to duck hunt in the San Joaquin delta near where I grew up. Hemingway was a real man, maybe the last of them. He was at home with expensive guns, fine whiskey, and fast women. To him, life and death had to be involved for something to be a sport.

They were driving a jeep with a u-haul trailer trying to get up into Publisher Papers ( Now it's Far West Fiber land) and cut (steal) firewood, but some gypo logger with his self loading log truck had caved in the old wooden bridge while stealing a load of cut logs one dark night the week before.
When Bill and company tried to access their way up into the hills, they ended up driving down my dead end road.
I got the call from a neighbor saying the cabin thieves were back and that's when I high tailed up the road to head them off.
The whole time I was pointing the loaded shotgun at them, my girlfriend was trying to tell me who he was, but I didn't care as I thought I had finally caught the thieves.

A couple of years later, I was asked to live on Bill Waltons ten acre farm that was down the road from my old cabin a couple of miles down Wildcat Mountain Rd.
The property was bought from Walton and the new owner needed a caretaker.
I lived in Bills cabin that had a custom bed that was 9 feet long.
Inside the barn was a bunch of his Trailblazer championship game clothes and size 16 sneakers and assorted other memorability that I should have kept.

Wouldn't hurt to let the NBA know to keep politics (and Bloombergs paid ads) out of sports.

$$$ is what runs the business, just like any other. And threats of loosing that money over the long term overrules short-term gain from an eccentric billionaires $.

Wouldn't hurt to let the NBA know to keep politics (and Bloombergs paid ads) out of sports.

$$$ is what runs the business, just like any other. And threats of loosing that money over the long term overrules short-term gain from an eccentric billionaires $.
All the time you,we boycott the NBA,the very people who are the actual problem in gun violence are the main supporters for the NBA
Sure there are some rich white folks who watch the games,but the people who would listen to the players come from the neighborhoods the players grew up in and are the problem
So good luck with that campaign .

I stwrted boycotting the NBA, NFL, and most other major sports about 10years ago.
The NBA and NFL want to get rid of guns because then their ghetto criminal ball stars will be able to fill the arena for them instead of sitting in jail.

Pretty much the same as reply #1.... hard to boycott them anymore than I have since the Sonics saga. Truth is I was never that big a fan to begin with, but the year over year antics from the players and the league would have had the same effect for me.

Gee, if they only were as outspoken about drug use, domestic assault, and out of wedlock child bearing :rolleyes:.

I don't know about everybody else but I have been boycotting the NBA for about 25 years. Not really into BB. It does nothing for me.

In that case, you should give major league pro soccer a try. After all, the Portland Timbers won the MLS men's national championship this year.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/history/mls-cup/2015?autoplay=true

MLS-CUP-CREW-SC-V-PORTLAND-TIMBERS-10aa.jpg

MLS-CUP-CREW-SC-V-PORTLAND-TIMBERS-10aa.jpg

The Portland Timbers also have a female sister team called the Portland Thorns. They are lots of fun to watch as well, and include Alex Morgan and Tobin Heath from the World Cup Champion US National Women's Soccer team.

13194083-essay.jpg

13194111-essay.jpg

13194110-essay.jpg

It is especially fun to watch the girls all jump on each other when they score a goal. The guys don't tend to hug and embrace each other like the girls do.

13194107-essay.jpg

13194083-essay.jpg

13194111-essay.jpg

13194110-essay.jpg

13194107-essay.jpg

Well, can anyone honestly say they support gun violence? Of course not.

However, these idiots are addressing the wrong issue by supporting "gun control" when
they should be attacking the real source of the problem-gangs, criminals and those with
mental health problems.

That would mean losing half their players to prison and mental health treatment.

Alex Morgan got sent to the new Florida franchise as part of the summer draft and trades. But you should support the Thorns anyway - those girls play soccer the way it should be played, not like the flopping of the men.

NBA is easy to boycott since it has never been something to watch in our household. Plus irony since they're the only sports league I'm aware of that's actually had incidents of teammates pulling guns on one another in the locker room. Dummies.

From Mr. Hope and Change himself:

View attachment 269690

How is the NBA "taking a stand"? With Bloomberg's money, of course.

• "the N.B.A. is putting the weight of its multibillion-dollar brand and the prestige of its star athletes behind a series of television commercials calling for an end to gun violence."
  • "The N.B.A. said it held little internal debate about working with Mr. Bloomberg's group. "We know far too many people who have been caught up in gun violence in this country," said Kathleen Behrens, the league's president of social responsibility and player programs. "And we can do something about it."
  • "But the decision may prove tricky for the league: While many of its teams are based in cities dominated by Democrats, a number of other teams — and millions of N.B.A. fans — hail from places where Mr. Bloomberg and his approach to guns are viewed with deep suspicion. Ms. Behrens said the league had not shown the ads to team owners, but added, "We're not worried about any political implications."
NEW YORK TIMES: N.B.A. Lends Its Name and Its Stars to Campaign Against Gun Violence

I've never watched those game anyway so I guess I have a head start:D

I have been boycotting the NBA for years. They offer nothing constructive to our society. They do everything they can to lure young people away from the important facets of our society and take their money to pay a bunch of athletes millions of dollars to play games that 99% of those 'fans' have never played and will never be able to play. I feel the same way about professional football and soccer.
The way I see it, baseball is not even a sport. It is a past time. It may very well be America's favorite past time, but a past time just the same. There are not enough of the players on either team in action at one time to justify calling baseball a sport.

Then look at all the performance enhancing drugs that some of these athletes use to try to make themselves better than what occurs naturally. If you have to cheat to win, it demeans everyone who is trying to do their best in a league that most of us will never be able to get into anyway.

If they want to do something constructive, why don't they go join the National Guard?

Who SUPPORTS gun violence or any other type of violence? It's insulting to think someone was going to commit a gun crime until their favorite NBA player said it was wrong.

Instead of paying millions to millionaires to push their agendas put that same money on jobs in cities that don't have any. Magically some of the gun violence will go away.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top