JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm 34. WA native, married with one kid and one on the way (due this weekend!).

I love Washington, would hate to leave. I like camping, mountaineering, salmon fishing and bow hunting Roosevelts. Our family is all here, but our parents would most likely follow us for same reason.

But I dont know if I can raise my kids here. Our daughter won't be in kindergarten for another four years, but I'm already worried about her schooling in this state. The woke indoctrination we've all observed seems to be rampant.

We've talked about leaving the state, but honestly haven't spent much time on more conservative states. Have some research to do.

I could move to Texas and keep my job. Don't like the idea of that much due to the climate and lack of Douglas fir. I think Idaho is my favorite option.

Have you thought about packing up and leaving the PNW? Mostly looking for thoughts from folks with young kids.

Where would you go?

Anyone in the process, how did you start your search?

For us with a deaf toddler, Colorado and Texas really are the best options we are looking at, education-wise for deaf kindergarteners+. Out of the multiple options, from best 10 to worst 10, Colorado, Texas, Indiana are in the top 10 besides California, New York, Maryland/Wash DC and Mass.. worst 10... Oregon(the absolute worst apparently), Idaho, Montana, Louisania, Alabama, Arkansas and Wyoming. And that's for Deaf education only. Everything else is secondary. We like our greens and mountains, so that really puts Colorado over Texas.

My daughter and son in law moved to Texas 9 years ago. They love it. We'll be joining them in a few years. I can't take this crap anymore.

GTT!

Last Edited:
I felt the same way and moved to Montana in 2020. I am a western WA native, and love everything about WA except the people and resulting political climate that now fester uncontrollably there. I miss much of what I left behind, but 1 hour or more stuck in traffic surrounded by unregulated urban campers and rampant crime remind me I made a good choice. Our middle schooler was also happy with the in school learning as opposed to the crap they called school at the time. On the other hand, many people had the same idea, and securing a home was a challenge, and it has only gotten worse since then. For example, the home I bought has risen over $100k in value since I bought it in 2020. It wasn't what I was really looking for and not in an area I was trying to settle down in, but still, I love it here...for now.

Pick a good place before you move. Lived in Oregon now for 70 years. The way things work is crummy government drives people out of their state mostly because it cost to much to live there. People move to other states for financial reasons but bring crummy politics to their new state. The same politics that ruined their old state.

Pick a good state that it will take years for crummy politics to ruin it. Get your kids educated in decent schools and from then on you are free.

I've been all over the US and I have yet to find a place that captures my heart like the Pacific Northwest. It is my home and even though we have our problems, I'll always take great pride in being born/raised here. Do I agree with the direction that Oregon and Washington are heading? Not really, but running is only delaying the inevitable. People are flocking to red states in droves and turning them purple/blue (Georgia and Arizona come to mind). The grass also isn't always greener on the other side. I had a family member who spent their whole life in OR, WA, and AK decide to move to the Midwest after getting fed up with the state of things. To say it's been a let down for them is an understatement.

I plan to stay in Oregon or Washington for the foreseeable future (unless my career gives me an opportunity too good to pass up). The PNW is going to need moral and prudent people here willing to push back against the ruling party's grasp on things. Politics are an ever-swinging pendulum and I think we're going to see some things start to swing back very soon (midterms aren't looking good for the democrats with the current state of things). Seattle elected a republican city attorney, New York City elected a retired NYPD captain as mayor (Imagine telling someone two years ago that NYC was going to do that), and San Francisco residents successfully recalled 3 members of the school board.

At the end of the day you need to do what you think is best for you and your family. Just some thoughts to consider in your decision making process.

assuming i don't go first, when the last of my family dies off, I'm moving to Costa Rica.

not gonna enjoy my guns there, but eh, i figure i'll have outgrown this hobby too by then.

already feeling the "drift" of letting it go, kinda done all i wanna do. almost every hobby i've had plateaus after about 5 years.

anyway, I wouldn't leave Oregon for any other State in the US. live in 10, seen all but AK/HI, and nothing's better than the NW IMO.

I plan to leave but dont know where, can't deal with the heat anymore. Plus my wife wants to stay near her family, so I may end up leaving her.

For us with a deaf toddler, Colorado and Texas really are the best options we are looking at, education-wise for deaf kindergarteners+. Out of the multiple options, from best 10 to worst 10, Colorado, Texas, Indiana are in the top 10 besides California, New York, Maryland/Wash DC and Mass.. worst 10... Oregon(the absolute worst apparently), Idaho, Montana, Louisania, Alabama, Arkansas and Wyoming. And that's for Deaf education only. Everything else is secondary. We like our greens and mountains, so that really puts Colorado over Texas.
Colorado is falling into the abyss. Do your homework, its turning blue fast if it isn't there already.

Colorado is falling into the abyss. Do your homework, its turning blue fast if it isn't there already.
every State that has great deaf educational programs, are either already blue, or going blue, or turning purple.

Other States that are great politicially and better than Oregon education wise...
1. Extremely small, if not nonexistent deaf/ASL communities
2. Too close to dangerously blue places (Indiana. Ohio to name two)
3. Has no real job opportunies compared to costs of living for someone not relatively experienced in several fields.

I've been all over the US and I have yet to find a place that captures my heart like the Pacific Northwest. It is my home and even though we have our problems, I'll always take great pride in being born/raised here. Do I agree with the direction that Oregon and Washington are heading? Not really, but running is only delaying the inevitable. People are flocking to red states in droves and turning them purple/blue (Georgia and Arizona come to mind). The grass also isn't always greener on the other side. I had a family member who spent their whole life in OR, WA, and AK decide to move to the Midwest after getting fed up with the state of things. To say it's been a let down for them is an understatement.

I plan to stay in Oregon or Washington for the foreseeable future (unless my career gives me an opportunity too good to pass up). The PNW is going to need moral and prudent people here willing to push back against the ruling party's grasp on things. Politics are an ever-swinging pendulum and I think we're going to see some things start to swing back very soon (midterms aren't looking good for the democrats with the current state of things). Seattle elected a republican city attorney, New York City elected a retired NYPD captain as mayor (Imagine telling someone two years ago that NYC was going to do that), and San Francisco residents successfully recalled 3 members of the school board.

At the end of the day you need to do what you think is best for you and your family. Just some thoughts to consider in your decision making process.
I know what the WA government was spending my tax money on, and planning to spend it on in the future. Leaving wasn't running, but denying revenue to those a-holes. Hit them in the man-purse, it is all they understand.

To my point of view folks better move quickly if they are going to move. Brandon is flooding the country with millions of illegals so housing is going to get outrageous.

Might be better to wait it out with home and family.

I know what the WA government was spending my tax money on, and planning to spend it on in the future. Leaving wasn't running, but denying revenue to those a-holes. Hit them in the man-purse, it is all they understand.
I'll bet they'd understand tar and feather or tall tree/short rope.

I don't think I'll ever leave the PNW. Love where we are. We moved from Red (at the time, NV has since turned blue) to here. Had our kid here and are happy to raise him here.

Other than school, which is fixable, what are the other things that bother you about where you are?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top