JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I wanted to get some thoughts on a topic that I have had on my mind for quite some time. As I have stated elsewhere on this site, I am very much as fond of bladeware as I am guns. I used to think that the more I spend on a knife, the better it will be. I used to think that in order to be in possession of a quality blade I had to strive to research and purchase the latest and greatest in super special awesome steel alchemy.

The problem with that line of thinking is that you often will spend more on the knife than you will on a quality firearm. To me that is absolutely ridiculous. Another problem I see is that if you are paying $500+ on a knife, I am never going to carry, let alone use it. It will just plain sit in a safe, sitting pretty, doing nothing, being useless...

I find it amusing that folks who are selling their $500 knife often say that there is no "carry" wear or that it is in brand new condition. Obviously I know the difference between a "user" and a "collector" but I can't help but wonder what the point is in buying the strongest, sharpest, most awesome steel out there if you are never going to put it to any sort of use.

I could never really afford the purported best knives out there and any extra funds I have go towards purchasing firearms or other related items. Don't get me wrong, I love knives, especially good ones. I currently have my eyes trained on a ZT 0301 which will come to almost $300 with shipping. I can also appreciate the custom makers out there, what they do is truly art....

However, I have little patience anymore when looking for a knife to buy and seeing that due to its super secret magical Japanese awesomeness it costs a ridiculous amount of money. Sensei bladesmith may be good at what he does but if I have $500, will I spend it on one of his knives or on the M&P Shield that everyone is all hyped up about? I'll guarantee you that Shield will come out on top when push comes to shove...

I guess that basis of my rant here is that I am curious how you folks feel about it. Are you a user or collector? A little of both? There is no wrong answer, as I am a bit of both and can appreciate both sides to some extent.

I carry a Cold Steel Recon with a tanto blade that I bought new 6-7 years ago for $80. I have beat the hell out of it, it is a workhorse, yet other than some marring of the black finish, it still takes a razor edge and its lock is still one of the strongest out there.... Can someone say the same of their Emerson or Strider knife? Both being good examples of fantastic knives but would you want to put them through their paces knowing they will not retain that "new knife" look?

I'd say a little of both - as for that ZT you are looking at you might wait for the Kershaw factory sale in November - granted the ZT line stuff is a bit less common there you might get lucky and pick one up for about half price (or less). Just remember to look at the markings on the knife - if they are not x out the lifetime warranty is still in effect. I picked up a few knives there last year - a "needs work" blade - list price is $60 and on line you can find them for about $35 - picked up one no x out for $19. Also picked up my daily use knife a "leek random" normally about $95 for $40.

I'd say a little of both - as for that ZT you are looking at you might wait for the Kershaw factory sale in November - granted the ZT line stuff is a bit less common there you might get lucky and pick one up for about half price (or less). Just remember to look at the markings on the knife - if they are not x out the lifetime warranty is still in effect. I picked up a few knives there last year - a "needs work" blade - list price is $60 and on line you can find them for about $35 - picked up one no x out for $19. Also picked up my daily use knife a "leek random" normally about $95 for $40.

I am actually very much looking forward to the Factory sale. I have never been to one but I have heard that you can potentially pick up some great knives at some really great prices. Plus, I have heard that Kershaw has excellent customer service. I have a Kershaw Leek and love it even though I prefer larger blades.

I am both. I have my guns that I use for daily carry and that I shoot regularly. I also have my guns I bought because they are mechanical art as far as I am concerned.

There have certainly been guns I have looked at that I would have considered art, mostly in a historic sense. I would be inclined to purchase those types due to their historical attributes more than anything and I would certainly prefer them to be operable. :s0155:

Same thing applies to bladeware too...

Mostly, user.

I have very few blades I don't use, and even those few are starting to look like they'll be up on the block sometime soon (funding an AR, and yes I plan on using it :D ).

I wish I could afford to be a collector, but most of the knives I'm interested in are wayyyyyyyyy out of my reach!

User. "Collectors" make me laugh.

I can certainly appreciate that sentiment. Any knife I buy, or firearm for that matter, I want to be sure I can use it for whatever task it was designed for without any hiccup or difficulty. A lot of the expensive knives out there are expensive because of the exotic materials that are used for the furniture as well as the steel. For instance I was just looking at a Strider knife that is selling for over $2000 :huh: How can someone justify that?! How can one feel good about even using that in any sort of application.... Safe Queen, maybe? If one has the means, more power to you I suppose...

I think I fall pretty heavily on the user side. While I can appreciate a collector's love of fine and fancy things it would drive me crazy knowing I had put my money into something that's meant to be used, like a gun or knife, then not use it. This is coming from the guy who, when he was a kid, started a small airplane collection that also doubled as pencil sharpeners. Maybe I haven't found my Mona Lisa yet but I seem to derive the most pleasure in the use and application of my stuff, especially when it comes to weapons.

i got a like new ZT 300 for 160.00 on the blade forums awhile back it was just to heavy for me ill stick with my ritter gripper and my lefty spidy military there both s30v and used around a 100.00 each there nice knives i think you should go to the malls check out the cutlery then go on ether blade or knife forum look up the knife you want in the exchange by doing a search get one like new or slightly used you will save money but if you are going to put it in a safe to collect and resell like some of us do like Busse,swamp Rat, and scrap Yard ,Bark River and Chris Reeve knives so we can buy other knives and guns ,scopes ,range finders, Ammo thats why some uf us put them up for awhile just sayen :cool::D love my toys

I guess I'm a little bit of both. I have a number of knives that I've never used - just got them to add to my collection. But, I've used a lot of knives - including higher-end ones (Chris Reeve, Tomes, etc.) so price doesn't necessarily drive my decision to use something or not. However, it certainly gives me pause when using a more expensive knife depending on what I'm going to cut with it. And, I'm less likely to loan an expensive knife to someone to cut something.

In general, my preferred users are mid-range commercial products like Benchmade or Spyderco. I've been using a basic Delica for several years now - high enough quality to last, but not so expensive that I get worried if I drop it or something.

In general, my preferred users are mid-range commercial products like Benchmade or Spyderco. I've been using a basic Delica for several years now - high enough quality to last, but not so expensive that I get worried if I drop it or something.

That pretty much sums up what my outlook is. There are a few great manufacturers out there that make a terrific knife, even if it is production. Here is an example of a knife maker that makes cool stuff but they cost an absolute fortune. TACTICAL CUSTOM FOLDERS CF

I could never justify that, unless of course, I won the lottery or something....

I have a couple of guns that are mostly collector pieces for one reason or another. I will shoot them some, but due to historical and $$ value, or sentimental value (family guns) they spend more time in the safe than being used.

Other than those few, my guns and knives were purchased to be used. Yes, they will show wear from use, but that wear will be from honest work and will be stories to tell later.

I have a couple of guns that are mostly collector pieces for one reason or another. I will shoot them some, but due to historical and $$ value, or sentimental value (family guns) they spend more time in the safe than being used.

Other than those few, my guns and knives were purchased to be used. Yes, they will show wear from use, but that wear will be from honest work and will be stories to tell later.

I have no problem purchasing guns or blades that have some historical value attached to them, they don't particularly meet the criteria I was describing in my original post. The prize of my firearm collection currently is a Ithaca 1911 made in 1944, though it shoots real sweet, it doesn't get much range time...

I am more wary of purchasing a $1000 knife and then putting it in the safe because I am terrified of using it, I don't care how awesome the steel is or how great the finish holds up.... Its hard to use a tool as intended when the maker is charging an arm and a leg. I say that without intending to disparage the maker in any way though. If an artist puts a lot of TLC into their product, they can charge whatever the heck they want...

I have no problem purchasing guns or blades that have some historical value attached to them, they don't particularly meet the criteria I was describing in my original post. The prize of my firearm collection currently is a Ithaca 1911 made in 1944, though it shoots real sweet, it doesn't get much range time...

I am more wary of purchasing a $1000 knife and then putting it in the safe because I am terrified of using it, I don't care how awesome the steel is or how great the finish holds up.... Its hard to use a tool as intended when the maker is charging an arm and a leg. I say that without intending to disparage the maker in any way though. If an artist puts a lot of TLC into their product, they can charge whatever the heck they want...

Ok, I'll be more specific.
One of my "safe queens" is a 1951 Colt Government Model. It stays in the safe most of the time because of it's historical value. I take it out and shoot it a couple of times a year, but it rarely sees a holster.
However, I have a nearly new Kimber Montana. My wife bought it for me and it cost over $1300. That was before I put a $500 scope on it. It's only value is as a tool and I use it as such. Now I don't abuse my tools, but consider what the weather is like for deer season in the Cascade Range and elk season in eastern Oregon. It gets used, but maintained. It has no historical value. If I can't use it, it's friggin worthless and I'll sell it. I have a really cool Ruger .375 that is set up for hunting and it rarely gets out of the safe. I've seriously considered putting it up for sale, just because it's hogging space and money!

If you're gonna buy a NEW knife that costs you a thousand bucks and can't bring yourself to use it, don't buy it!

Ok, I'll be more specific.
One of my "safe queens" is a 1951 Colt Government Model. It stays in the safe most of the time because of it's historical value. I take it out and shoot it a couple of times a year, but it rarely sees a holster.
However, I have a nearly new Kimber Montana. My wife bought it for me and it cost over $1300. That was before I put a $500 scope on it. It's only value is as a tool and I use it as such. Now I don't abuse my tools, but consider what the weather is like for deer season in the Cascade Range and elk season in eastern Oregon. It gets used, but maintained. It has no historical value. If I can't use it, it's friggin worthless and I'll sell it. I have a really cool Ruger .375 that is set up for hunting and it rarely gets out of the safe. I've seriously considered putting it up for sale, just because it's hogging space and money!

If you're gonna buy a NEW knife that costs you a thousand bucks and can't bring yourself to use it, don't buy it!

I absolutely agree with you, I hope I wasn't coming off as otherwise. And yes, there would have to be a damn good reason to spend $1000 on a knife....

I used to be an "accumulator" of knives. If I liked it, could imagine a scenario where it would be useful, the quality was good and I could afford it, then I bought it. I had shoe boxes full of knives that didn't turn out to be that useful, and were not really that valuable as collectors' items. There's always a SOG MicroDot on my keyring (since I was a teenager), and a Victorinox Huntsman in my pocket almost everyday for the last decade. Most of the bigger and more expensive blades are gone now, but I'm still thinning the herd.

Both. I'll use 'em for a bit,until I scratch it.Then I put it away and start with a new one.
Since they aren't as expensive as guns,I can change my carry knife every 6 months or so.
Oh yeah,I do that with guns too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads