JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Glocks are/were a superior design and, when introduced, were far ahead of the competition with regard to durability, manufacturing technology and reliability. While Glock hasn't changed much their competition sure has and some of the competition is probably at least the equal if not superior but Glock has secured the LE and civilian market and it's easily available parts and access to Armorer services are still light years ahead of the pack. The creation of the Glock Safe Shooting Foundation allows owners to shoot in a competitive environment and offers free Armorer services. Glock is the standard.

Personally speaking you could not give me one of those rubbermaid guns. I like all metal with the exception of the grips too much. To me they are not even close to the best. IMHO.

James Ruby

thread is as expected wildly off course (albeit with some useful information) the "best" was in quotations because it was intended as being purely argumentative and a statement of value for cost on glock's behalf. I suppose at that price point (sub $450-500) glock does provide an excellent option for persons looking for a reliable and light tool. my comparison desires were targeted at that lightweight sub $500 mark, with decent capacity and a certain degree of rugged durability. I require my firearms to do a lot for me. i am outdoors hiking and camping very often so weight and durability are paramount to me.

That said, i have, since the initial posting begun the transition to the Smith and Wesson M&P line in 9mm. i do think the Glock magazine is fantastic and probably better then the Smith, but all other areas are very comparable. after a couple weeks with the M&P i picked up a subcompact glock and a M&Pc. The difference TO ME was almost laughable. I could not believe i used and shot those for so long after the natural aiming characteristics of the Smith. This is obviously only my experience. I am still a fan of the 19/23 sized models and feel the Gen4 23 is a fine example of a top tier combat firearm. I have sufficient information enough to make future decisions on lightweight 9mm firearms. That BP9cc looks very intriguing. Had no idea it existed.

Glocks are/were a superior design and, when introduced, were far ahead of the competition with regard to durability, manufacturing technology and reliability. While Glock hasn't changed much their competition sure has and some of the competition is probably at least the equal if not superior but Glock has secured the LE and civilian market and it's easily available parts and access to Armorer services are still light years ahead of the pack. The creation of the Glock Safe Shooting Foundation allows owners to shoot in a competitive environment and offers free Armorer services. Glock is the standard.
Gag me with a spoon! What are you smoking?

Not a Glock fan capt, but it's hard to find fault in almost all he stated. They were the 1st in many categories in their field, and are still the yard stick with which many are measured by, hence this discussion, or post if you rather.
I'm not a Glock fan, I have shot them but I don't like how they handle. Here's my issues with his comments; "superior design" , superior to what?, "far ahead of the comp...blah, blah", Which competor?, "Glock hasn't changed much", Really? now at Gen 4. "Parts and Armorer services light years ahead", Please! I will put my H&K's up against a Glock any day of the week. Remember opinions are like belly buttons, everyone has one! If you like Glocks fine! Buy them, shoot them. This is one of those Ford vs Chevy things.

Yeah, DRZ400S. I really hated parting with that, but your gain from my sale got me a brand new Caracal 9mm that is a dream to shoot and carry. I figured once you got it out and shot it you'd fall in love with it. The Bersa BP9CC is an amazing little gun. Bersa would sell a ton of them if they could get their act together and put more of them in gun stores and on-line venues. Glad you like it, although it makes me a bit misty looking at it again. Kinda like when you divorce your wife and some guy finds her his dream match. You're glad someone else finds her attractive, even though you don't really want her back.
I picked up this little gem and I would not trade it for a glock....

captqc

Well lets use your H&K as an example. I think you would have to agree that the H&K Policy of not supporting their products after they drop them from their lines is not quite up to Glocks support. If you doubt that check on it. H&K has less than a half dozen repair people nationally. Try buying a part for an MP5, HK91/93 or a HK4. H&K doesn't make parts any more. Try being trained as an HK armorer. Good luck. Glock's changes have been evolutionary not radical. Parts are pretty much interchangeable prior to the Gen 4 and even Gen 4 has many compatible parts. Any parts in your H&K fit any other models? How about matches for users? How about free armorer services?

I am not bashing H&K they make fine quality firearms but they do not have the same commitment to their consumers and they are not the only ones.

Finally, your opinion does not hold up to fact.

Last Edited:
Steve06, I beg to differ on your comments but in the spirit of what Joe wants this forum to be I will simply say that you should do some more research before you make bold statements such as "superior design" when Glock waited until Gen 4 to copy what H&K did in 93. I don't disagree that Glock's have a strong following, that's fine with me, the more guns out there the better as far as I'm concerned. I'm not a fan of their design and I won't own one. With Glock 500,000 guns behind on production I figure I've done my part to free one up for someone who likes them. The end! Gary

I don't disagree that Glock's have a strong following, that's fine with me, the more guns out there the better as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. Don't forget a couple of key points:

1.) A person is smart. People are stupid.

2.) Justin Beiber's movie grossed $98,441,954 world-wide.

My point? People often have very, very poor taste.

If Toyota made a diesel one ton that had 500 hp & got 50.mpg. someone would still buy a ford or chevy from 1911. There isn't a gun that does anything better its just that simple

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top