JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Of course, all things “best” being totally subjective, Glocks are often considered to be the best 9mm pistol available. Their reliability is beyond reproach, accessories and parts are plentiful, and they are not ammo sensitive.

I am a long time Glock lover, owning many various Glocks in my short tenure as a gun owner. After whittling down my once vast Glock collection to only a few G19’s I ditched my last G26 in favor a M&P Shield recently. It was almost like a revelation to me in terms of ergonomics and concealment

I still love my Glocks and trust them completely, but would I be crazy to abandon the platform that got me into concealed carry and gun ownership as a whole, really, in favor of something that is relatively new to me. I have no real experience with the M&P line (beyond the Shield that raised this question). I don’t know much about them past what I read on the interwebs. I understand that they are supposedly reliable, but do not have the track record that Glocks do. I am filthy with Glock mags and holsters and whatnot as well. I would have to basically rebuild my system around the M&P platform. I handled a M&Pc in store and was impressed with how it felt.

Perhaps there is a world of reliable ergonomic pistols out there that would fit my diminutive hands better than the Glock.

Am I crazy for even thinking this? Is the M&P platform worth the switch or am I creating a solution to a problem that does not exist?

You should buy what you want. You can use all the logic in the world but ultimately what you want will trump all other factors. Keep the glock and try out the M&P. If you love it then move to that platform. I don't know why you would have to switch all of your guns though? Glock did try to address the bulky frames with the SF series but those didn't really go anywhere and now the gen4 has the adjustable backstraps. IMHO, ditch the glock and the M&P and because nothing trumps the reliabilty of a HiPoint firearm:s0112:

Let's use an aircraft analogy. Imagine your Glock is an Airbus, and your M&P is a Boeing. Both of them have reached a level of sophistication where for all practical purposes, it simply doesn't matter which type of plane you are on. There may be minute differences in the individual models' safety record, but they are so small that they would only matter to a statistician and are probably due to chance. The same is true for MD planes, Bombardier, Embraer. Any of these aircraft is perfectly safe, and any gun from a reputable manufacturer will perform the job well for you.

Planes crash occasionally, and guns malfunction occasionally. Usually this is due to maintenance, user error, and various adverse conditions. You are much more likely to screw up than your name-brand gun. In the end it comes down to individual preference and what you are better with. Right now it sounds like Glock is what you should trust yourself with. That doesn't mean the M&P might not replace the Glocks some day in the future.

I only recently had my first experience with a Springfield XD, but from shooting one I would say that ergonomically they are better than Glocks. However, due to all the aftermarket barrels (to change caliber), higher capacity 22-33 round magazines, and long-term reliability reputation I would still choose a Glock. I think the above Boeing VS Airbus analogy is a good one. Fine one you like that you shoot well and then learn to keep it running no matter what. :)

In the world of the revolver service pistol in the late 80s and early 90s, Glocks were the best. Its reliability, function, capacity, etc was in a different league. 20+ years later, there are many manufacturers out there that makes pistols on bar or, in some cases, surpass the standard Glocks had set. Asking if Glock is still the "best" is like asking if Mercedes still makes the best "premium sedan" for the common folks - It was the gold standard and not necessary THE best any more. But if you like the name brand, then by all means go for it.

I suppose More so what I am asking is those of you Who have made the switch from
Glock to something more "ergonomic" and modern such as Springfield XDM or the M&P line, are you pleased with the switch. Was it worth the transition of mags and accessories?

I would normally agree with the get both theory, but I tend to run my firearms based on a weapons systems platform. I choose to run several of the same model for magazine and parts interchangeability and likeness of operation. Its just ,my best good theory on how I elect to outfit myself.

Never had a handgun that failed to reload a round (repeatedly) until I fired my first glock. Guy who loaned it to me said I was "limp wristing" and I gave it back to him and never looked back. Hundreds of rounds down the pipe with my Sig and never a failure once. Maybe it was me but in a firefight I don't want to think about my wrist just my trigger finger. This is the reason why there's so many guns on the market, different strokes for different strokes.

Of course, all things “best” being totally subjective, Glocks are often considered to be the best 9mm pistol available. Their reliability is beyond reproach, accessories and parts are plentiful, and they are not ammo sensitive.

I am a long time Glock lover, owning many various Glocks in my short tenure as a gun owner. After whittling down my once vast Glock collection to only a few G19’s I ditched my last G26 in favor a M&P Shield recently. It was almost like a revelation to me in terms of ergonomics and concealment

I still love my Glocks and trust them completely, but would I be crazy to abandon the platform that got me into concealed carry and gun ownership as a whole, really, in favor of something that is relatively new to me. I have no real experience with the M&P line (beyond the Shield that raised this question). I don’t know much about them past what I read on the interwebs. I understand that they are supposedly reliable, but do not have the track record that Glocks do. I am filthy with Glock mags and holsters and whatnot as well. I would have to basically rebuild my system around the M&P platform. I handled a M&Pc in store and was impressed with how it felt.

Perhaps there is a world of reliable ergonomic pistols out there that would fit my diminutive hands better than the Glock.

Am I crazy for even thinking this? Is the M&P platform worth the switch or am I creating a solution to a problem that does not exist?

"Glocks are often considered to be the best 9mm pistol available".

I am just wondering were that statement came from as I never had heard that.:confused:

I totally disagree but I also totally believe in your choice of guns.

With that being said have fun with your Glocks and I am messing with you so please don't take it serious:D:D:D:eek::eek::eek:

But I disagree but happy shooting...

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Their like dating an ugly fat chick that really knows how to cook, among other things.:s0112:
^ :s0114::s0114:

Shooting a Glock is like driving a sports car with a really awkwad and unnatural seating position. Once you learn how to drve ike that, you can drive it just as fast as others on the track. Most people sit in it and ask "how can you stand driving like this?" To which you reply "this is how you drive when you want to go fast in 1985."

I have a G19 Gen4 that I bought for my wife. I installed a Ghost Rocket connector and Warren tactical sights...all for less than $600. She shoots it great and so do I at the range. My only gripe with Glock is the grip angle. When I present from the holster, I have to rotate my wrists downward in an un-natural (for me) motion or the pistol ends up aimed skyward. Other than that and being butt-ugly, I think Glocks are great and recommend them to anyone. I own an M&P and after installing the APEX kit and new sights, it's my favorite striker-fired pistol (I currently own 14 pistols). I've tried, and passed on the XD due to reliability issues with varying ammo (it was a picky eater), but if you find ammo that works reliably, it's a solid platform too.

My current carry pistol is a H&K P2000 w/ LEM trigger system. I like the long (but light) first pull, decent reset, second strike capability, and ability to ride the hammer when holstering.

I have a G19 Gen4... When I present from the holster, I have to rotate my wrists downward in an un-natural (for me) motion or the pistol ends up aimed skyward. Other than that and being butt-ugly, I think Glocks are great and recommend them to anyone.

Dispite all that, you STILL recommend them to anyone?!?!

I would recommend a glock.
I wouldn't say it the best but I've never had any major problems. My g17 has just over 10,000 rds on it and it still runs just as good as it did when it was new.
I really like my Hk's & FN's i would recommend them to!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top