JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Objective diameter / magnification = exit pupil. A larger exit pupil is easier to "find" when you get behind the scope, even if the exit pupil is larger than your actual pupil. In terms of "brightness", larger exit pupils are brighter, at least until the exit pupil exceeds your actual pupil diameter. For reference, in daylight, your actual pupil is 2-4mm, and 56mm/24X = 2.33mm exit pupil, so I'd argue 56mm isn't "too big" by any stretch. It might be too heavy, too bulky, too expensive, or too high over the bore, but life is about trade-offs.
No one said 56mm is too big.........any larger is not helpful.

Somebody has to do it 6191.jpg

I think that in our metro-sexually influenced world, "accessorizing" has gone from the fashion industry to the firearms industry. 24/7 tactical, Molle gear, scope, rails, folders, collapsibles, bumps, dots, lasers, lights, bipods and slings - all looking more military than the military may be a way of expressing manhood in these challenging times. Masculine words will get you in trouble in many places and for many reasons, so looking the part speaks loudly without saying a word.

Still, look at the old Fecker and Unertl target scopes. They spanned almost the entire length of the barrel on target rifles inth e 40s through the 60s. They were very slim, while the new gen scopes are "phat."

In the spirit of my earlier reply to this thread, illustrating equipment fitted to a particular use: Use the firearm and sight system that fits the context in which it is used. Then use that firearm and sight system within the limits of the user's ability.

What other's may think of your choice should not matter.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA

New Resource Reviews