JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So what you all are saying is some figured out that they could use a camera tripod by making an adapter. Then the gun industry found out and in turn made the bipods and accessories 10x the cost? :eek:

Another advantage is when you remove your bipod (for example you are on a barricade), you have a smooth flat surface to get maximum stability on said barricade. With a slingstud or 1913 rail, you may end up not being able to get as stable because you are sitting on those attachment points if that's all the barricade will allow.

Another advantage is when you remove your bipod (for example you are on a barricade), you have a smooth flat surface to get maximum stability on said barricade. With a slingstud or 1913 rail, you may end up not being able to get as stable because you are sitting on those attachment points if that's all the barricade will allow.
That makes some sense. But wouldn't a QD 1913 be easier to remove over having to slide the Arca all the way forward to remove?

It may be, and alot of it is a matter of preference/what you are used to/what you are equipped for. However If you wanted the ability to use a bipod or a rail bag/plate (link below)depending on the stage, your options would be either a massive piece of 1913 running the full length, or arca.

Is having a 1913 or arca rail the difference between 1st and mid pack at a match, absolutely not. Does arca have more PRS specific attachments than 1913, yes. If they are worth it is an individual preference.

So what you all are saying is some figured out that they could use a camera tripod by making an adapter. Then the gun industry found out and in turn made the bipods and accessories 10x the cost? :eek:

I wonder who is actually making Vortex's tripods...in any case, that seems way overpriced. I've noticed that the heads that normally come on what would otherwise be alright tripods are weak. You want a beefy tripod...why top it with a wimpy head?

If I'm spending anywhere up near that much, I'm going with RRS gear.

That makes some sense. But wouldn't a QD 1913 be easier to remove over having to slide the Arca all the way forward to remove?
It's probably personal preference at the end of the day, but I find manipulating the arca easier to do, faster, and with one hand. Moving it around, sliding it off, putting it back on...all easily done with one hand while moving. A benefit over QD is that you can loosen it just to the point of sliding and then take it off...put it back on the same way while moving from stage to stage. You can let go of it without worrying it'll just drop off. Snug it with another quarter turn back to tight and you're good.

The big decider for me came down to price. I already had good bipods for hunting and recreational target shooting, I had 1913 on many of my rifles, and of the rifles I wanted to build (mainly the chassis manufacturers) had 1913 or MLOK already, so it just made sense in my specific case to figure ways to adapt what I already had.

That is my style and my advice in general though. You will see more return on investment from spending money on ammo and practice than you will from spending that same money on gear. I haven't spent much time recently doing apple-to-apple price comparison but at the time Arca was significantly more expensive. I think if I had to start over again from scratch, I'd likely still arrive at the same destination I did.

I also see a lot of talk of timed competition shooting in this thread but I can't think of a time when I see people doing run-n-gun precision shooting and making changes to their guns mid-course. Instead they develop techniques and equipment that don't require this. Loading bipods against the barrier, barricade stop attachments, shooting bags, using your palm as a rest against the barrier itself, etc. I don't see competitors trying to swap attachments out or micro-manage where pieces are in the middle of the event when seconds count.

I have put ARCA rails on several of my rifles. Instaed of buying several $150-200 bipods I can have one that I can quickly move off of one and onto another. Put the clamp knob on the left side (port for swabbies) and you can move the bipod forward and back to fit your situation.
To be fair, there is nothing stopping your from doing the same thing with a QD 1913-swivel adapter, or one of the many quality bipods made for picatinny. I have two Harris bipods each on QD picatinny studs and it allows me to swap it between all my rifles in seconds, including chassis rifles and ARs/MSRs. Hell, I could throw it on some pistols if I was so inclined.

Not disparaging your setup, just saying it's not the only option in town.

The key benefit is in rapidly adjusting your gear attached - which to me is really only a bipod/tripod thing
This I do agree to. Arca is made to slide forward and backward quickly while a 1913 adapter might not be quite as fast and would require either longer or more rail sections if you're running an MLOK. I was always taught to front-load the setup by leaning into the bipod legs so for me the very concept of sliding is scary! I jest a bit of course, but sliding is counter to my setup and the robust recoil lugs of the picatinny system are better for me.

I did also buy a tripod with a ball head and a Vortex picatinny-to-Arca adapter, and they were good. I have since replaced that setup with a clamping saddle for the tripod (the BOG Deathgrip Ultralite saw some great sales) and with that I never have to worry about the gun I'm using; it can be picatinny, Arca, neither, as long as it can be clamped it'll work. That's made it easier for friends to try out on range trips as well. Just to be clear, this setup isn't for anything speed oriented though, it's for careful individual shots.

Honestly I don't care that much about using the ARCA for precision shooting. For that I'd want the bi-pod out front anyway. For barricade work or shooting off oddly placed rocks, fenceposts, etc being able to move it close, or out of the way even, is a plus. There are attachments to mount your Magneto speed chronograph onto.

Not inexpensive for sure, but one of those things where you say "Man, I wish I had done that before!". But not for everybody.

That's a good junk of money right there for what improvements?

Assuming I'd also need to mount some form of Arca to the bottom of my stock too?
Yes it does, but....

Flashlight & mount? ($)
Scope ($$$) and mount/rings ($$)
Suppressor ($$$)
new trigger ($$$)
new barrel ($$$)
tripod/bi-pod ($$)
case or Eberstock pack ($$$)

I don't think the average person will benefit from arca rail. It's just another rail for us to spend money on. Most MDT chassis come with arca as a standard it's definitely a wider attachment base. Another benefit is the ability to slide the attachment anywhere on the rail with out any notches to get in the way.

20210904_212214.jpg

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads