JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Getting into precision rimfire has been a fun and annoying journey.

Everytime I look I see something different that may or may not be better?

Is 1913 rail dead? Mlok dead?

Everything precision orientated is Arca rail now. Why?

It also is 10x what a similar 1913 attachment costs. Again why?

Is Arca really better? Or is it just a flex?

Thanks!

Reno

I'm headed that direction.

The attachments are not expensive, tri-pods can cost a bit depending on your needs.
I have a Bog tri-pod but like anything else, I should have spent the extra money and got a ball head with arca plate.

I'm looking at these.

There is quite a bit of stuff to attach to an arca rail now other than a tri-pod too.
Weights, barricade rests, bi-pods, etc.

ARCA rails are great for mounting bipod, or setting a rifle on a tripod.

More surface area, and nice tight fit. You can quickly put the rifle on a tripod.

But for NV, flashlights and etc M-LOK and 1913, even Keymod still are good.

I have a few rifle chassis with a built in ARCA rail, now I need the tripod.

ARCA rails are great for mounting bipod, or setting a rifle on a tripod.

More surface area, and nice tight fit. You can quickly put the rifle on a tripod.

But for NV, flashlights and etc M-LOK and 1913, even Keymod still are good.

I have a few rifle chassis with a built in ARCA rail, now I need the tripod.
Should I upgrade from sling swivel:)

First, 1913 isn't going away anytime soon, probably not at all until there's some type of evolutionary leap forward in weapons design and implementation that we can't possibly predict yet. MLOK also isn't dead as it allows the selective placement of 1913 rail segments while keeping the parts you want to be smooth, smooth. I would argue that keymod is dying though.

ARCA has been a standard on competitive target-shooting rifles for a long time. If you hadn't heard of it, it's not that it's new, it's just that it's not really represented nearly as heavily in tactical or military use, and a lot of US sporting gear moves hand-in-hand with our military. ARCA has it's own positives and negatives and I recommend picking whatever you like best (or is compatible with whatever stock/chassis your heart and budget desires). Personally the large and frequent recoil lugs on 1913 give me peace of mind, and since I know that this standard continues to be the foremost military interface I can rest assured it's not going anywhere and that innumerable suppliers of innumerable parts will continue to be available at highly competitive prices.

Generally when I think of an arca rail it's for mounting to a tripod.
Not using arca for everything as it's bigger than an 1913 rail.

But if you have a full length arca rail on the bottom of the hand guard that gives you the option to standardize your gear for it.
I just need a short section as I don't plan on using it for anything but a tripod.
I have short mlock 1913 rails for a bipod, WML, ect.

I'm definitely noticing the trend of precision stuff being more towards ARCA. I guess I never knew it was that big. I thought it was something relatively new.

I'm confused to how it is any better than adding a rail section to the bottom of a gun and mounting the attachment to that.

Thanks!

Reno
I have put ARCA rails on several of my rifles. Instaed of buying several $150-200 bipods I can have one that I can quickly move off of one and onto another. Put the clamp knob on the left side (port for swabbies) and you can move the bipod forward and back to fit your situation.

I'm headed that direction.

The attachments are not expensive, tri-pods can cost a bit depending on your needs.
I have a Bog tri-pod but like anything else, I should have spent the extra money and got a ball head with arca plate.

I'm looking at these.

There is quite a bit of stuff to attach to an arca rail now other than a tri-pod too.
Weights, barricade rests, bi-pods, etc.
The max load on that tripod doesn't seem like it'll have the top end you'd want for a precision rig.

Thanks!

Reno
I like arca. I come from the photo world and so, it's very familiar. The key benefit is in rapidly adjusting your gear attached - which to me is really only a bipod/tripod thing. All of your other accessories aren't going to need to move around, but a bipod you may want to slide up or down depending on need. Think about an NRL match and having to shoot off of different barriers. Quickly sliding your bipod up or down or off entirely is made easier with arca.

And like @Lazyfaire , it allows tool-less swaps between rifles with ease.

The GNN XB-44DL is what comes up when I click on it.

ModelGNN XB-44DL
Ball Diameter44mm
Pan Base Diameter 58mm
Height2.83 Inches
Weight1.09 Pounds
Max. Load88 Pounds
Bottom threadUNC 3/8″-16
Clamp TypeScrew/Lever Combo Clamp 38mm Arca-Swiss

I have put ARCA rails on several of my rifles. Instaed of buying several $150-200 bipods I can have one that I can quickly move off of one and onto another. Put the clamp knob on the left side (port for swabbies) and you can move the bipod forward and back to fit your situation.
I have one good bipod and one cheap one. I have quad rails, mlock or keymod on most of my rifles and a few spare short pieces of pic rail for mlock and keymod. If the gun in question isn't already set up for a bipod, it can be in a matter of minutes. Just one extra task while setting up the range bag and casing the guns.

They do make pic mounts for tripods but are not cheap.

I guess I'll have to watch more folks use Arca in the various competitions.

I've got a great bipod, it's not super expensive, but it's features make it very nice compared to a basic Harris style. It is very easy to swap from one rifle to the next so as long as they have a rail section on them.

I don't compete but when it's all muddy and nasty out a tripod is much better than going prone for me.

Small chair and a bag makes a comfortable and stable platform.

The max load on the one I linked is 88 pounds.
The heaviest rifle I have is 14 lbs.

Is there more to it than that?
The max load of the tripod that you linked is ~19lbs. The head will always be able to handle more, it's a block of metal...basically.

So, you have a tripod max of ~19 less the 1lb the head weighs means your by the book max is ~18lbs.

With camera gear, I try to stay 20% away from the top max load...I don't want any slippage on those long exposures ;-). With a rifle pushing the max, you'll end up seeing the legs slip under recoil. Not the end of the world, but avoidable with a beefier tripod.

I guess I'll have to watch more folks use Arca in the various competitions.

I've got a great bipod, it's not super expensive, but it's features make it very nice compared to a basic Harris style. It is very easy to swap from one rifle to the next so as long as they have a rail section on them.
I put an Arca adapter on my Harris and it's working well. At some point I'll probably upgrade but...for now...it works well.

The max load of the tripod that you linked is ~19lbs. The head will always be able to handle more, it's a block of metal...basically.

So, you have a tripod max of ~19 less the 1lb the head weighs means your by the book max is ~18lbs.

With camera gear, I try to stay 20% away from the top max load...I don't want any slippage on those long exposures ;-). With a rifle pushing the max, you'll end up seeing the legs slip under recoil. Not the end of the world, but avoidable with a beefier tripod.

I put an Arca adapter on my Harris and it's working well. At some point I'll probably upgrade but...for now...it works well.
The tripod in the link is indeed rated for only 19.8 LBs.

MAX. OPERATING HEIGHT71 IN
MIN. OPERATING HEIGHT10.8 IN
MAX. CENTER COLUMN EXT15 IN
CENTER COLUMN TYPEINVERTIBLE CENTER COLUMN
FOLDED LENGTH27.6 IN
WEIGHT5.5 LBS
NUMBER OF LEG SECTIONS3
MAX. LOAD19.8 LBS
LEG LOCK TYPELEVER LOCK
LEG TIPRUBBER FOOT
TRIPOD MOUNT THREAD3/8

That seems pretty fragile to me.