JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ive done a few before, I've owned so many different PCCs and still own a bunch. I just like them. Fun to shoot steel with fast and at close distances.

Just got the itch to do up another after shooting a buddies that is set up for USPCA PCC.

My current favorite is a toss up between my CMMG and the Ruger PCC.

This build is going to blend those two together in a sense. I hope.

It's going to be a rifle, so a stock stock, not a brace, and a 16" barrel.

It's going to be light and easy to manipulate. I hope.

After looking around most of the last two weeks I found what looks like the better or best lower for 9mm. The Foxtrot Mike receiver. It's got what looks to me to be the best in the industry LRBHO available for AR style platforms using Glock magazines, I'd even say it's better than CMMGs design.

upload_2019-3-1_16-8-24.jpeg

So far this build is in its infancy. Just got the lower, and a few parts I've collected to be put on it. The stock, buffer tube, grip and trigger. Trigger is one of my new faves, the Aim Surplus single stage. I also already have a micro red dot ready for it so I'm good on the sight as well. I picked up a Swampfox red dot during their presidents sale. It's a glorified Vortex or Burris clone, but it looks and feels decent.

upload_2019-3-1_16-22-59.png

Parts in the near future are:

A good bolt, haven't decided which one screams better than others. There are a few now that use standard AR15 bolt extractors that I like over proprietary extractors. I'm also noticing weight options for bolts becoming a thing which is good. More weight options for blowback the better.

Upper. I'm sort of decided on. Mostly I want an upper that's for PCCs not a AR15 upper. I've found one on Rainer that I like. Just need to see if there are any others worthy.

upload_2019-3-1_16-12-15.jpeg

Handguard. Sort of stuck on this one. I like the idea of Kaw Valleys CF tube. Silly slim. Silly light. I may still go with a lightweight slim aluminum still too.

upload_2019-3-1_16-13-37.jpeg

Barrel. Beats me. Lots of options. Nothing screaming at me right now. Might go nuts and get a match grade barrel from someone like JP. All those in the $100 range have mixed reviews for repetitive accuracy.

I'll try to keep this updated as it comes together.

I enjoy feedback and others choices on components. Feel free to make recommendations.

I have a QC-10 Colt pattern.
These AR9's are just good clean fun.

Here are some ideas for your Want List :

Bolt - Take a look at Toolcraft
These are premium bolts that can be had at great sale prices in this market.
Check Gun Deals.

Upper - What about a side-charger ?
I think Foxtrot Mike has one

Handguard - The sky's the limit these days on handguards.
I like a clean M-Lok
My QC-10 uses an SLR Rifleworks ION Lite handguard

Barrel - Ballistic Advantage Modern Series is worth a look.
They're good, go on sale often and have the contour that I like.
I would go 1/2-28 threads for a wider selection of muzzle devices.

Good luck and keep posting up your progress.

If it was me, because screw money.... I would get the shortest barrel that would allow me to pin + weld a slim XL linear comp to 16.1"

This should be nice and light, quite to the shooter and look awesome peeking out of that handguard.

KVP XL Linear Comp

Last Edited:
Or just get a 4"-8" barrel and put a SBA3 (or similar) brace on it.

:cool:
Ya, I've got something like that already.

I kind of want this for speed steel or uspsa. I've got the itch to get back into competition.

Little browsing this morning. Found Nordic Components. They have a pretty plain upper and PCC specific small diameter handguards.

upload_2019-3-2_10-18-48.jpeg

Also found a unique barrel option by Taccom. It's a 5.5" barrel with a pinned and welded 16" shroud. Meant to be as light as possible.

upload_2019-3-2_10-27-14.jpeg

Little browsing this morning. Found Nordic Components. They have a pretty plain upper and PCC specific small diameter handguards.

View attachment 553987
That looks like a rifle ejection port.
I like the other one you posted better for a pistol build.

Also found a unique barrel option by Taccom. It's a 5.5" barrel with a pinned and welded 16" shroud. Meant to be as light as possible.

View attachment 553988
If I were to do a 5.5" barrel, I would SBR it or do a pistol brace.
Not a giant muzzle device.

That looks like a rifle ejection port.
I like the other one you posted better for a pistol build.

If I were to do a 5.5" barrel, I would SBR it or do a pistol brace.
Not a giant muzzle device.
I don't think that's the point of the Taccom barrel. They specialize in competition stuff. Most USPSA match's don't allow pistol braces weapons. I'm uncertain to SBRs I think I've read somewhere some are allowed in certain divisions.

I already own and enjoy shooting a "pistol" AR9.

That is not the direction I want to go with this one. I'm leaning towards speed steel and USPSA.

The Taccom barrel may have some advantages over a longer actual barrel. More pressure builds in 16" pistol caliber barrels. So by having a legal length, but shorter barrel, you could run a lighter buffer system and it should be less snappy overall.

That's a nice lookin' build !
Is that a Colt pattern ?

Gibbz is supposed to be the route, for pistol side chargers.
Yes it's a Spike's Colt pattern lower. As a note to anyone who might choose to go with a Colt pattern lower...you'll have to bend the ejector slightly to get it to eject reliably. I was disappointed when I first brought it to the range. After working with one of the RSOs on it, we learned that the ejection design they use can also work for .45 which has a large casing to make contact with. To work with the 9mm, the ejector has to be bent inward slightly to effectively contact the casing and knock it out. Put about 250 rounds through it after that without a single hitch.

Yes it's a Spike's Colt pattern lower. As a note to anyone who might choose to go with a Colt pattern lower...you'll have to bend the ejector slightly to get it to eject reliably. I was disappointed when I first brought it to the range. After working with one of the RSOs on it, we learned that the ejection design they use can also work for .45 which has a large casing to make contact with. To work with the 9mm, the ejector has to be bent inward slightly to effectively contact the casing and knock it out. Put about 250 rounds through it after that without a single hitch.
Nice.
I usually scratch-build my AR's and just recently bought my first "store-bought" AR.
It's a QC-10 AR9 Colt pattern and that sucker just runs.
I think in the AR9 world, the Mfr's have different ideas on how to do the things that it takes to make these rigs run.

I am surprised that with a Spike's it wasn't just ready to rock.

ETA:
I once asked Spike's if they would sell me some Spirol coiled pins.
They responded by sending me a free LPK !

You might mention to Spike's what you had to do to get your AR9 to run.
They will probably shower you in free swag.

:)

Last Edited:
My PPC Speed Steel setup:

Faxon 16in 1/2-28 barrel
Spike's slick side upper (no FA,BD, or DC). Nice and clean.
Spike's Colt pattern lower.
KVP bolt
KVP 7.5oz buffer tube kit
CMC 3.5lb flat face trigger.
NCStar Vism 15in keymod
handguard

Edit to add.

Originally, the KVP would not run with the CMC trigger. KVP says on their website that for the upmost reliability, is to use standard mil-spec triggers. They do however provide a list of aftermarket triggers that should work for the most part from their testing.
So I knew there might be a chance that it might not work and it didn't. They listed POF and their 3.5lb flat face trigger did work.

The CMC and POF are nearly identical in actual shooting but the POF has a narrower blade and no bottom lip. I much prefer the wider blade and bottom lip on the CMC. While the POF was a great trigger, I always had in the back of my mind that it would be SO much better with a CMC.

Fast forward to last fall. One of my Speed Steel squad buddy's picked up a Sig MPX. He liked the gun overall but was not impressed with the stock and even less so with the trigger. So I jumped online and started looking at aftermarket triggers for the MPX. After a bit, I decided to see if there was anything new over at CMC. Boy oh boy! They had a new 9mm specific
trigger listed. I ordered it and it has been flawless with the KVP bolt. :s0168:

Last Edited:
Nice.
I usually scratch-build my AR's and just recently bought my first "store-bought" AR.
It's a QC-10 AR9 Colt pattern and that sucker just runs.
I think in the AR9 world, the Mfr's have different ideas on how to do the things that it takes to make these rigs run.

I am surprised that with a Spike's it wasn't just ready to rock.

ETA:
I once asked Spike's if they would sell me some Spirol coiled pins.
They responded by sending me a free LPK !

You might mention to Spike's what you had to do to get your AR9 to run.
They will probably shower you in free swag.

:)
I contacted them about it. They said they bend it themselves for their builds but since I just bought it as a stripped lower it came straight. Fortunately it was a super simple fix

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top