JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, I placed 3rd place in yesterday's speed steel with this guy. It is certainly competition worthy.

Wasn't expecting that, just happy it ran really well and didn't give me any hiccups. Though @spookshack had me worrying about broken firing pins. I'll definitely get a spare due to his experiences with AR9s and competitions.

I'm still not getting the last round bolt hold to work well. I'm not entirely sure if it's my loads short stroking the action or something with the mechanism. It's a pickle as the barrel had an extended feed ramp I had to fit to the lower to clear the follower portion of the hold open. I'm thinking I'll polish the crap out of it to try and see if that helps it function.

Not a huge deal not having the bolt hold open, but it sucks considering I bought this lower for that feature.

Got the red dot back from Swamp Fox. They sent me a brand new, newly designed, model. This one uses RMR style mounts and a smaller battery type. So now I need to get a bunch of those in case, kind of annoying they switched from the industry standard battery.

I'll test the Swamp Fox's worthiness in June at the next Speed Steel.

lrho on ar9's are a fail. they hardly work. since no set standard most of the time its the weak spring trying to push up.
What is this weak spring you speak of ?

My AR9 uses Uzi mags and they "push up" so hard that you need a magloader to load them.
The bad thing about AR9s is that when you light one up, you knock down every single target in your array in seconds.

lrho on ar9's are a fail. they hardly work. since no set standard most of the time its the weak spring trying to push up.
The same spring that holds a whole pistol slide back? I'm pretty sure Glock mags have plenty of spring to work a LRBHO.

My CMMG LRBHO works flawlessly. As does this one. I found out my buffer tube was the culprit. It was a random spare and it's too short for the buffer to clear the bolt catch.

Now this one is working as it should.

Generally speaking, AR9's utilizing dedicated Glock style lowers typically don't have provisions for a functioning LRBO and if they do, most tend to be hit and miss as to whether they will work 100% of the time.

Now my AR9 With a dedicated Colt style lower has no such issues. Another plus and the main reason I bought it was is utilizes a standard mag catch. Being non proprietary (unlike one's used in the Glock lowers), allows me to use a ambi mag release (me being a lefty and all).

I recently picked up a Nordic Components' proprietary interchangeable magwell lower (2011, Glock, M&P and Sig P320). Mine came standard with the Glock magwell.

These seem to be like hen's teeth, out of stock everywhere (including extra magwells). That's a real bummer as I was looking to pick up a M&P magwell as I have quite a few M&P mags and would love to have the option of running them in an AR9. I'll just have to wait till NC gets more in stock. (whenever that will be). :rolleyes: :(

Yesterday I was able to briefly test the lower with Glock mags as well as a spare bolt and CMC PCC 9mm 3.5lb flat faced trigger. No issues whatsoever with the very limited amount of rounds I put through it.

I loaded 3 mags with one round each at least a few times back to back to check the LRBO and it was flawless. I'm fairly confidant that it will be 100% reliable but only time will tell I quess....

Aside from the fact I can't use M&P mags yet, this NC PCC lower looks to be a quality built piece...

Those Nordic Components lowers are pretty cool.

Definitely a plus being able to run many different mags, that is if you can find the adapters for sale.

Yep, thought I was all set with the M&P adaptor I bought only to find out over a week later that it was actually out of stock (site said in stock) and was discontinued by their supplier. I was promptly given a complete refund but man, to say I was disappointed would be a huge understatement!

Last Edited:
Well that didn't last long.

Got an email from Swampfox Stating my just returned Kingslayer Red Dot is being recalled.

So the new one I got, and haven't even fired one round with, is going back to Swampfox to again be replaced.

Not looking so hot Swampfox Optics.

Cool that they are owning the bad products, sucks that two in a row are deemed defective.

I'll probably just put it on a 22 after this is all said and done.

Keep my Holosun on this AR9 for competition. o_O

Very helpful and informative thread as I am starting on an AR9 carbine build, hopefully for use in similar disciplines as the OP.
Some follow up questions if you guys don't mind.

I've been going around and around on whether to go the mag block route (as I have several unassigned AR15 lowers), or purchase a dedicated 9mm/glock mag lower. My hesitancy on the block method is I wonder about durability over the long term, and consistent functionality.

Side charger vs straight back? Side charger seems more natural to me but then I've only ever used the traditional AR charging setup.

Can you get completed uppers for these or need to build?

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks

Very helpful and informative thread as I am starting on an AR9 carbine build, hopefully for use in similar disciplines as the OP.
Some follow up questions if you guys don't mind.

I've been going around and around on whether to go the mag block route (as I have several unassigned AR15 lowers), or purchase a dedicated 9mm/glock mag lower. My hesitancy on the block method is I wonder about durability over the long term, and consistent functionality.

Side charger vs straight back? Side charger seems more natural to me but then I've only ever used the traditional AR charging setup.

Can you get completed uppers for these or need to build?

Any input would be appreciated.
Thanks
I have no experience with the adapters. I'd probably say you would be fine with one. My main thing, though not a huge deal, is they use a different magazine release that's part of the adapter. The regular mag release would taunt me all the time and I'd probably try to use it all the time forgetting that I need to hit some button under the magwell on the adapter.

I couldn't find a side charger I liked. Most have a rod or slide that comes back with the charging handle, just not my thing. That and they are much more expensive than a slick side pistol caliber upper receiver with a traditional charging handle.

Taccom makes complete uppers good to go similar to the one I put together.

upload_2019-5-7_20-26-21.jpeg

I opted for a Spike's Tactical dedicated Colt style lower (they also have a dedicated Glock lower).
I like the aesthetics of the Colt style mags vs Glock mags (the Colt mags hang vertical in the magwell, not angled back like the Glock mags. This lower also has a reliable LRBHO as well as a standard mag release (I'm a lefty so I installed a ambi release).

Keep in mind that AR9's are not plug-n-play like standard AR's. There a a lot of individual components made by reputable companies that work well on their own but once you start mix-n-matching, you could very well end up having problems. As an example: My KVP bolt would not play nice with my CMC 3.5 flat faced trigger. CMC recently came out with a specific 9mm PCC trigger that is supposed to work with just about all the different bolts out there. It has worked flawless with KVP bolt and also with a spare bolt of unknown origin.

I would recommend going with .308 buffer spring and a 7.5 buffer that is offered by KVP. The AR platform really takes a beating from the blowback operation of the pistol calibers.

As for options for your standard AR lowers, check out Mean Arms and Stern Defense. I have a standard AR lower I recently picked up that I plan to eventually try with both companies.

One last thing to consider. Build or buy. My 1st AR9 was bought. Decided I didn't want to go the Glock route so I gave it to my bro on his birthday. My current AR9 was built (assembled by Curt's using parts provided by me). I stopped keeping track at $2000. My best estimate is around $2500 and climbing. Now that is what I've put into it thus far. A lot of parts have come and gone (lucky for my bro cause I give him all my hand me downs and in effect, he gets free upgrades :)). It has been pretty close to what I want for a few months now. Going to add a different hand guard (this will be #3) and a recoil reduction buffer system to smooth recoil out a bit. Yeah, that should do it.
:rolleyes:
Keep in mind that this is my Speed Steel match gun and would look much different if I were using it as just a plinker or say home protection....

If you don't mind a solid plain Jane AR9, it's pretty tough to beat PSA. AR-9 Rifle Assembly & Parts | Palmetto State Armory Lots of options for complete guns as well as lowers and everything else you might need. Good luck in your quest! :D

Quick update on my NC lower (glock mag adapter). It has been through 2 SS matches and has been 100% reliable as well as the LRBHO working every time. Now if I could just find a M&P mag adapter then I'd be set! Sigh....

I usually build my ARs but when I wanted an AR9, I fell in love with this one and couldn't source the parts to build it myself for their price ($1300-something)
Their pic, mine came with a 7" barrel, SLR MLOK handguard and Magpul grip.
Deluxe parts throughout this thing, even a Radian Raptor CH.

QC-10 Rider 9mm Colt pattern
quarter_circle_10_clt9mm_pistol_5.5_inch_right.jpg

Last Edited:
Hey guys, thanks for all the replies to my questions. Just dawned on me that I probably should make a separate thread so it's not messing with Reno's existing thread? I don't know what the protocol is, but I sure appreciate the information. I've been reading up on these things over the last couple days and am a bit information overloaded.

While recreational use of the PCC will take place, I'd also like to get involved with Steel Challenge as I think it's still something I could do (physically), and there appear to be places in my area (sort of) that offer such. I'm looking at the SCSA/USPSA rules and it says...
Pistol Caliber Carbine.
Open to carbines shooting pistol caliber cartridges 9mm... There are two equipment divisions:
A4.1 Pistol Caliber Carbine Open. This is the Pistol Caliber Carbine race division. All
legal Pistol Caliber Carbines, to include short barreled rifles, are allowed. Optics and Compensators are specifically allowed, suppressors are not allowed.
A4.2 Pistol Caliber Carbine Iron Sights Any iron sighted rifle without optic sights. Fiber-optic inserts are specifically allowed
What division do you guys usually run? And what type of rifles are used by the various competitors? In addition to the ones we have been talking about so far?:)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top