JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice.
I usually scratch-build my AR's and just recently bought my first "store-bought" AR.
It's a QC-10 AR9 Colt pattern and that sucker just runs.
I think in the AR9 world, the Mfr's have different ideas on how to do the things that it takes to make these rigs run.

I am surprised that with a Spike's it wasn't just ready to rock.

ETA:
I once asked Spike's if they would sell me some Spirol coiled pins.
They responded by sending me a free LPK !

You might mention to Spike's what you had to do to get your AR9 to run.
They will probably shower you in free swag.

:)

No issues with my Spike's Colt pattern lower. Well, there was one time that the ejector started to work loose and causing me some issues. I figured it out and re-adjusted the set screw (I check it from time to time). No problems after that.

Does the little bar on the side slide with the handle? In other words does it stick out when pulled back?
It does slide back with it but it's right up against the buffer tube so it's not intrusive in the least...and I'm pretty finicky about that kind of thing

Thanks. I like the side chargers, but I've seen some that have that bar thingy.

This is the farthest the bar goes back. Not even past the receiver. Hardly notice it.
15515641065225182650874658231430.jpg

Then you can push forward the handle and bar to lock forward on the detent. Bolt is still locked back.
15515643099075444832024555948580.jpg

Another picture with charging handle pulled back from the side
1551564352483190823898732268562.jpg

Sits pretty decent for what I collected thus far.

Reached out to Foxtrot Mike to figure out how the LRBHO comes apart and the thread pitch on the receiver tension hole. Got to say, great customer service on their part. Paul sent me a schematic almost immediately and helped with further questions.

I ordered an upper receiver, the one I listed in the earlier posts from Rainer Arms MVB tech.

I'm still browsing barrels and bolts. I'm leaning towards Taccom for both as that sleeved barrel is the lightest combination I've calculated. Just not entirely sold on it. @Taco_lean has a funny point to make on it too. Lol.

Just need to look at a few rule books first to see if the local ranges consider it legal for competition use or not. Faxom is in second place for a regular full 16" barrel. If I did that I'd likely get the Kaw Valley carbon fiber tube handguard.

F9799731-6AB8-4074-9D79-C4070816E36D.jpeg 375B72CA-F5B3-467B-BDDE-856BDC323AA7.jpeg

Sits pretty decent for what I collected thus far.

Reached out to Foxtrot Mike to figure out how the LRBHO comes apart and the thread pitch on the receiver tension hole. Got to say, great customer service on their part. Paul sent me a schematic almost immediately and helped with further questions.

I ordered an upper receiver, the one I listed in the earlier posts from Rainer Arms MVB tech.

I'm still browsing barrels and bolts. I'm leaning towards Taccom for both as that sleeved barrel is the lightest combination I've calculated. Just not entirely sold on it. @Taco_lean has a funny point to make on it too. Lol.

Just need to look at a few rule books first to see if the local ranges consider it legal for competition use or not. Faxom is in second place for a regular full 16" barrel. If I did that I'd likely get the Kaw Valley carbon fiber tube handguard.

View attachment 554599 View attachment 554600

I do really like the idea of the sleeved barrel. Should be no flash and quite for the shooter, and as you said nice and light.

Cerakote is off the table sadly. The Foxtrot Mike last round bolt hold open isn't the easiest to take apart. It requires a part to be essentially destroyed and replaced to get it apart to be coated.

I was really liking the blue above. To match my 22/45.
upload_2019-3-9_11-38-16.jpeg

I've ordered a handful of new things.

I am in the works of putting the upper together.

All components weighed in it's just over 5 pounds.

Depending on how it shoots I might be able to take weight out of the buffer and bolt to get it lighter, but I don't want to until I know it can function properly.

Picture of the little pin that killed this guys chance for a little color.

BBBC449A-7FA1-4B3B-A98D-4401FB9C995F.jpeg

Got the upper torqued down. Took a little ingenuity to make a vise block for the upper since my barrel rod doesn't exactly work for things without barrel extensions. I didn't want to use a barrel clamp on it since it's an aluminum sleeve.

I had to remove a good amount of the Taccom speed feed lip on the left side of barrel to get the LRBHO to work as the feed lip interferes with the lifter on the bolt hold. Still plenty in front of the bullet to assist cycling and support the magazine as designed. Cycling snap caps worked flawlessly. Crossing my fingers it functions well using live ammunition.

The bolt is also Taccoms. It is very well machined and slick as snot with its Nibx coating. Also chose it for its use of a regular AR15 extractor.

I had an extra CH lying around, but I'll likely get a new one in time with a larger latch for ease of manipulation. I've learned to hate stock charging handles.

I ordered a set of bicycle foam handlebar grips to use as the forend. I bought a few different colors and sizes. Hoping they will be my means of adding a bit of color to this guy. I've read this barrel system gets pretty hot, so I'm hoping that the grips will help keep it light and cool. I'll know soon enough.

I'm pretty happy with it. It is pretty light. 5 pounds 4 ounces unloaded. It points very easily and I imagine it should make for a fun speed steel competitor. I just need to check my usual loads for function and accuracy out of it. I may try tweaking up a load to make power factor if I want to try some USPSA

ACEDC8D8-6AA0-4100-8CF1-6A1F56755E89.jpeg

Got the upper torqued down. Took a little ingenuity to make a vise block for the upper since my barrel rod doesn't exactly work for things without barrel extensions. I didn't want to use a barrel clamp on it since it's an aluminum sleeve.

I had to remove a good amount of the Taccom speed feed lip on the left side of barrel to get the LRBHO to work as the feed lip interferes with the lifter on the bolt hold. Still plenty in front of the bullet to assist cycling and support the magazine as designed. Cycling snap caps worked flawlessly. Crossing my fingers it functions well using live ammunition.

The bolt is also Taccoms. It is very well machined and slick as snot with its Nibx coating. Also chose it for its use of a regular AR15 extractor.

I had an extra CH lying around, but I'll likely get a new one in time with a larger latch for ease of manipulation. I've learned to hate stock charging handles.

I ordered a set of bicycle foam handlebar grips to use as the forend. I bought a few different colors and sizes. Hoping they will be my means of adding a bit of color to this guy. I've read this barrel system gets pretty hot, so I'm hoping that the grips will help keep it light and cool. I'll know soon enough.

I'm pretty happy with it. It is pretty light. 5 pounds 4 ounces unloaded. It points very easily and I imagine it should make for a fun speed steel competitor. I just need to check my usual loads for function and accuracy out of it. I may try tweaking up a load to make power factor if I want to try some USPSA

View attachment 557025
Looks nice.
I like how the grip angle and the Glock mag angle are about parallel.

This rifle must not like any color but black. I got the grips in via Amazon, and thankfully I ordered a set of 4 black ones too. The blue ones I ordered had an inside diameter that supposedly would fit 1" handlebars per the reviews. That wasn't going to happen. The black ones slid on just fine. They had an inside diameter of around .8 or so but they stretched much easier onto the 1" tube than my struggle trying to get the blue ones on.

She is complete, and I don't plan on messing with it unless it cycles horribly.

I feel like I'm missing something all the time putting an AR9 together. Especially this one since I'm not even running a handguard.

Hoping next weekend I'll be able to sneak out to the woods and put it through it's paces.

3E8A9A6A-9446-47BD-8E88-3AB28DD50CDF.jpeg

Well, as nice as the Swampfox optic looks and feels. It's getting sent back without a round being fired on it.

I think those foam pads are going to melt under rapid fire :(
Time will tell. Folks using this system for USPSA get it fairly hot, being aluminum conducts heat very well, and have foam pads to control some of that heat.

If it gets nutso hot I'll order a Coletec suppressor cover for it.

That or get the carbon fiber tube.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads