JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Okay, I am makimg some progress. I have installed a picatinny rail on top of my handguard and will look into adding some backup iron sights. The picatinny is higher than the flat top receiver rail, how would you deal with sights on this?

I have tried to sand the rail lower (sandpaper around the handguard and then back and forth to keep the radius) but that seems to be a very long and tidious thing to do. I think its almost easier to modify a frontsight...

Looking for some "HK style" sight for the front at least to give it that MP5 look...

I also added a rollpin between the barrelnut and the port that the gastube normally goes into for added safery.
20210605_153204.jpg 20210606_132333.jpg

Last Edited:
That's a funky match-up between your handguard rail and your receiver rail.
One of them is out of spec.
Yeah no... its not something that goes together. The rail is just an aftermarket piece for a different gun that I picked up. I had the intention of lowering the profile of it...which I might still do idk... anyway, its all custom work ;) i picked up the 20moa rail because it was already radiused on the bottom and had more material for me to work with!

File the sight post and or lower it enough to get the sight to work.

That's called volunteering for extra work.
I avoid that every chance I get.

That got pounded into me over years of General Contractor work.
Haha yes I know. The tought was, have an oversized and radius the bottom so it fits "smooth". OR...dont go the extra mile and put a low profile one on that will have gaps. Well... id rather mod a frontsight and have the height difference than looking at that stupid gap thinking i could have done better lol

That's called volunteering for extra work.
I avoid that every chance I get.

That got pounded into me over years of General Contractor work.
Heheh...is this why a lot of contractor work I see is crap? :D

Its all good, I wanted a picatinny and the only radiused lower profile rails I found locally were weaver, so I went with this and modified it. I believe it was for a savage something...

I testfired today. I have an adjustable buffer with a standard carbine spring. Does this cycling look good? I feel like the bolt stays back too long...

Your best bet is to just stick with a 9mm adaptor that takes Glock mags or buy a dedicated Glock 9mm lower.

Trying to find a adaptor to run 1911 or grease gun mags, is going to next to impossible. If you did actually find something, it's going to be quite expensive.
A dedicated Glock 45acp lower can be had, but those offerings are limited.

I would stick with 9mm. It's the most vetted of the PPC cartridges. Using Glock mags is a no brainer.

My recommendations are the following:

1. Dedicated Glock lower (9mm, then .45)
2. Stern Defense adaptor (Glock, then the M&P version if you are a die hard M&P guy like me)
3. Endomag conversion if you want to stick with a standard AR lower. The kit replaces the spring and follower in the Pmag. The conversion requires no permanent modification to the Pmag and can be swapped back and forth at will. Just pull the guts from the Pmag and swap in the Endo 9mm kit.complete Pmags with the kit installed are also available from Mean Arms.

Also, AR9's can be finicky. Knowing that going in will help. Be prepared to trouble shoot your build if it doesn't run correctly once you get it all together.

Good luck. As I've said in other threads, I love me some AR9's!
Excellent advice

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads