JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, I have a Del-Ton Sierra 316L AR15 and I'm having some trouble with different mags. Pmags will lock right in no issues regardless of full or empty but I can't seem to get my ETS mags to lock in at all. Just drop right back out without catching. Tried loosening and tightening the mag catch with no luck. Just got the rifle last week and want to know if this is something simple to fix or if I need to return the rifle as defective? I've used all these mags before in a different AR with no issues so I don't think it's a mag issue. Thanks for your help and have a great day all!

If you have other ARs where ETS magazines then just don't use them in your Del-Ton. If PMAGs fit then you are fine. I bought four HK polymer magazines years ago and it only my first AR15 which was an Armalite. When I bought another AR I could only use them if I kept the bolt open load the magazine and hit the bolt release. I don't consider them reliable so I have I am using PMags or Okay Surefeed magazines instead.

Could have an out of spec mag catch. Swap in the mag catch assembly from the AR that it worked with and see if the problem still persists. If it still persists, the mag-well "cuts" could be a smidgen out of spec.
It "should" be spec since it's a factory built rifle but I didn't think about trying the catch from the other rifle. I'll give that a go. Thanks for the the idea.

Not at all helpful but thanks for the reply anyways.
Kinda joking, but the magazine interface system is a more reliable (crude) one.

Ak mags will sometimes not be in spec to the particular rifles magwell by being to wide , side to side. This is solved by shaving, or simply discarding said magazine.
For some sober and sincere advice, I'd go with what TiTz said. Ditch the Ets

Kinda joking, but the magazine interface system is a more reliable (crude) one.

Ak mags will sometimes not be in spec to the particular rifles magwell by being to wide , side to side. This is solved by shaving, or simply discarding said magazine.
For some sober and sincere advice, I'd go with what TiTz said. Ditch the Ets
Thank you. This is the first rifle I've had an issue using ETS. Been using them for years. I have zero interest in the AK platform though.

Here's more unhelpful....help.

Throw the bubbleffing thing away and get it out of your life.

That's not being elitest, it being pragmatic. Is it really worth the time and effort if other mags work?
When I have a ton of ETS mags because they've always worked well for me then yes I think it's worth the effort to figure out why I'm having this particular issue. Thank you for your time.

When I have a ton of ETS mags because they've always worked well for me then yes I think it's worth the effort to figure out why I'm having this particular issue. Thank you for your time.
If anything, get a new mag catch. That would be my first step. Installed one could be off spec, it happens.

If the second one does the same, whip out some calipers and start measuring things. The hole could have been milled off on the lower.

Have tried taking your lower off and see how the magazine fits within the magazine well. Might need a little filing or something or get a different magazine release like Stomper said.

I'm not gonna lie. That optional tritium follower for the ETS mags has got me nerding out.

Ok, by perusing the interwebs I have found a small factor to consider. ETS has designed their integral polymer feed lips to approximately twice the thickness of steel. This was done for durability (makes sense) .
Have you switched uppers on the particular lower in question? Is it possible that a snug upper to lower attachment might allow the Kardashian inspired magazine feed lips to prevent consistent seating?

I've had cheap, aftermarket all plastic pistol mags that wouldn't seat properly when fully loaded because they were impacted. Not exactly the same thing, but food for thought.

I'm not gonna lie. That optional tritium follower for the ETS mags has got me nerding out.

Ok, by perusing the interwebs I have found a small factor to consider. ETS has designed their integral polymer feed lips to approximately twice the thickness of steel. This was done for durability (makes sense) .
Have you switched uppers on the particular lower in question? Is it possible that a snug upper to lower attachment might allow the Kardashian inspired magazine feed lips to prevent consistent seating?

I've had cheap, aftermarket all plastic pistol mags that wouldn't seat properly when fully loaded because they were impacted. Not exactly the same thing, but food for thought.
Yeah, I understand. Love my ETS. This is a factory made rifle. Have not switched upper or lower. If anything they fit a little too loose. They slide right in but don't "catch" on the mag catch. I've tried loaded and unloaded mags with exact same feel. I'm gonna call the store back and see if they have another one in stock so I can try the ETS mag in that one. That will tell me if it's a rifle specific problem or that entire model I'm thinking. If they don't have another then I'll buy a new mag catch and try that.

Quit using ETS mags.
This ^^^
Those are junk mags.
Don't alter your rifle to get the lowly ETS to work. (It then may not work with normal mags !)
There's nothing wrong with your AR mag catch if Pmags lock in.

The only mags you need :

Okay SureFeed
Colt
NHMTG
Lancer
Pmag

Edit :
If you like a transparent/translucent mag get Lancers.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads