JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here's a video i made to assist those who may need help with an AR front pivot pin... this is the way ive always done it. watched a bunch of videos where guys are using purpose built tools for it,razor blades or clevice pins with holes in them...all that nonsense.

Enjoy!
(im not the best video host BTW)

Battle Arms development pins have this little groove that makes it even easier to do the same thing

eps3.jpg

Here's the finished lower:
-80% lower
-Anderson LPK w/ stainless trigger
-JP yellow springs
-polished trigger,hammer sear and disconnector surfaces with 600,1200 and then buffed it with a buffing bit in my dremel
-phase 5 ambi bolt release v2
-spikes st-t2
-KAK industries pistol tube w/shockwave brace
-Hexmag grip (i had to modify it to fit correctly. -.5pt for hexmag. not a big deal)
-Hexmag mag
-Ergo end plate w/dual sling mount
-BCM enhanced trigger guard

-i also tapped the rear take down pin hole to 4-40 and added a 4-40x1/8set screw to capture the detent/spring in the lower. Aero does this to their lowers. you have to cut the length of the set screw out of the spring. its not necessary to do this but i like the idea of the spring not flying out when the end plate is off.

IMG_2624.JPG IMG_2625.JPG IMG_2627.JPG

I do it this way and still manage to make the detent slip out and fly across the shop..it just happens. :)
what you dont see in the video is a huge magnet against the wall of my garage to catch it... kidding.:rolleyes:

i actually usually do it behind an open gallon zip lock bag so when it does slip it would go into the bag. i was feelin froggy today and didnt do all that.
:D

Have done 2, didn't need any tools for the front pivot pin. Now, the roll pin for the bolt catch-that's a different story. Vice, or a 3rd hand recommended. Or be cheap and stubborn like me and use your lap and a lot of cussing.

Also, not to stray too far off topic, but I've noticed some folks 80 lowers seem to have a loose selector switch. This happened on both of my builds- there was a piece of aluminum in the selector detent hole, preventing the detent pin from getting all the way into the groove in the selector switch. Just clear out the hole with a punch before assembly.

Have done 2, didn't need any tools for the front pivot pin. Now, the roll pin for the bolt catch-that's a different story. Vice, or a 3rd hand recommended. Or be cheap and stubborn like me and use your lap and a lot of cussing.

Also, not to stray too far off topic, but I've noticed some folks 80 lowers seem to have a loose selector switch. This happened on both of my builds- there was a piece of aluminum in the selector detent hole, preventing the detent pin from getting all the way into the groove in the selector switch. Just clear out the hole with a punch before assembly.
yeah i had to clean up the selector switch detent hole for the detent to go all the way down. i just used a dremel to clean it up.

We locked the lower into a nice padded bench vise kinda tight, then use a handy small thin knife blade to push in and hold that pesky detent pin. Then the take down pin easily slides home.

Do not forget the handy very thin grocery story clear vege bag containment field to contain that eventual flying detent pin. Pesky bugger. Eventually it will fly away and always get lost somewhere.

Good video. You need to lock down the receiver. Most casual builders will not have our skill level. Respectfully. Hundreds of builds, uncounted many rebuilds. Thank you for sharing. :)

We locked the lower into a nice padded bench vise kinda tight, then use a handy small thin knife blade to push in and hold that pesky detent pin. Then the take down pin easily slides home.

Do not forget the handy very thin grocery story clear vege bag containment field to contain that eventual flying detent pin. Pesky bugger. Eventually it will fly away and always get lost somewhere.

Good video. You need to lock down the receiver. Most casual builders will not have our skill level. Respectfully. Hundreds of builds, uncounted many rebuilds. Thank you for sharing. :)
thanks man! yeah, i dont own a lower vise block. i have no need for one! i cannot count how many AR type rifles ive built.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top