JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah Ive cleaned it and cleaned it some more. Everything short of using a drill. Ive let it soak and scrubbed it with a bore brush among other trys. It also seems like there's pitting in there...

I would think it would be more cost effective for S&W to just slap a barrel on it and ship it back... Especially considering the lifetime value of a customer that buys at least 1 of their products a year. We'll see how they respond I guess.

Im done monkeying with it. If I would have been working instead of "breaking it in" and cleaning/scrubbing and wasting money on diesel and ammo trying to get it to run right... I could have bought a high end M&P 15 or had 2 cheap ones. The balls in their court now...lol

I would want a new barrel, personally

That's not how "Warranty" works. If they can clean it up so it works properly, that's all they'll do. No automatic replacement.

I emailed them last night for the shipping label. The marks have gotten less with different cleaning methods. But surely havent gone away. I havent tried anything on a drill yet. I may do that this afternoon. Do you know how long it usually takes to get guns back from warranty service?

That will depend on how their "process time is" and how much work there is lined up ahead of you in the Warranty Dept. In some manufacturers there isn't a dedicated Warranty Repair Department , some have only a few regular assembly people that work on the "Warranty Pile" as they have time. could be as quick as a Round Trip via UPS and it could be measured in weeks.

On a separate note, I sent a Chronograph back for warranty repair and it took a month just for them to decide to replace the control head.

Sure, they "may" try to polish it, but that looks rough. If any issues arise afterwards I would demand a refund

It is rough. And the shells I posted pics of are after 390 rounds and me trying all kinds of stuff to smooth it out. You should have seen them before my attempts at fixing it. I had curls of brass floating around in the mag well and receiver... I dont see them getting it smooth without sacrificing some sort of tolerances or something?

Sure, they "may" try to polish it, but that looks rough. If any issues arise afterwards I would demand a refund

I'd wager that this is what the rifle will get

rifle_chamber.jpg

Some work with a flex hone and a couple of rounds "in the tunnel".

Last edited by a moderator:
I put fairly good details in my letter with the gun. When its clean it works fine for about 25-30 rounds. Then jams every 3-5 rounds. I told them when they can put 50 rounds thru it with no problems then send it back.lol.

Not saying you're wrong, just that it's not a good solution in my opinion

And I respect your opinion. Just pointing out a fact of life. This is a flex hone for the specific purpose of smoothing out a chamber. Numerous Gunsmiths use one of these or have done exactly the same thing I've previously recommended for years.

I guess I'm more of the "If I can fix it, I will rather than go through the process of packing, shipping, then waiting, usually for THEM to do something I can do myself.

If I had bought it used somewhere I would have done the steel wool trick. But since I bought it brand new from a reputable manufacturer I think they should know about it and fix it. Hopefully this experience will help them provide someone else with a better firearm in the future. I really dont want to wait. Every time I walk past it I want to get out the dewalt and go to work on it. Its about the principals for me though...lol . I run a business too. If this were my screw up you can bet that I would get a call and have to go fix something. I dont want that call or to go have to go work for free. Thats why I do it right the first time. Smith and Wesson should too. Im gonna teach them a lesson dag nab it!!!

And I respect your opinion. Just pointing out a fact of life. This is a flex hone for the specific purpose of smoothing out a chamber. Numerous Gunsmiths use one of these or have done exactly the same thing I've previously recommended for years.

I guess I'm more of the "If I can fix it, I will rather than go through the process of packing, shipping, then waiting, usually for THEM to do something I can do myself.

Sure, if the patch is not too rough.. if it's a result of a bad reamer or a chelsea that bit there for a heartbeat it may have taken the chamber out of spec.. which will be obvious if they hone it and it comes back with function issues and/or obvious trauma to the fired cases

As Gma used to say, the proof is in the pudding

Sure, if the patch is not too rough.. if it's a result of a bad reamer or a chelsea that bit there for a heartbeat it may have taken the chamber out of spec.. which will be obvious if they hone it and it comes back with function issues and/or obvious trauma to the fired cases

As Gma used to say, the proof is in the pudding

From the pic's of the cases it doesn't appear that it's a reamer problem. Appears more to be a patch of rust or something that "puddled" on one side of the chamber. Believe it or not there are lots of contaminants that will form a varnish like deposit and mark a case just like that.

I agree, I only have pictures to go on, not the actual case but they don't look like they have much more than superficial marking. Whatever it is, it is just enough to cause some stickiness.

Will be interesting to read what S&W has to say when the rifle is returned, assuming that they say anything at all.

Just out of curiosity, did they send a shipping tag where they're paying the cost of return?

Yeah they pay for the shipping. I just had to box them up and give fed ex my address so they could pick them up. Didnt even have to drive to town...I also sent in a .40 Ive had for about 13 years. It started having problems after I got bucked off a horse and landed on it...lol

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top