AR15 A2 rear sight question...

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by shibbershabber, Mar 7, 2015.

1. shibbershabber

shibbershabber
    Vancouver

Does anyone know if the A2 sights in the detatchable carry handles is the same as what would be installed in an A2 upper???

Ive had a hard time finding an A2 rear sight assembly that wasnt close to $100... not even for a NM sight!

Anyhow, Ive seen the carry handles with A2 sights for less than half the cost and was wondering if I could just remove the sight and install it into my upper???

Any thoughts?

2. rick benjamin

rick benjamin
    USA, Or, Damascus
    Secure the drama Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Yes, they are the same. Exact? No, but milspec.
    NM has slightly more threads and more ball detents.

3. ankratz

ankratz
    Bend, OR

20150630_230524_zps3osqimhy.jpg

They are different sights. The sight assy on the fixed A2 is an 8/3 marked sight, (300 meters, to 800 meters), with elevation in 1 MOA increments. The sight assy in the removeable "handle" is 6/3 marked, with elevation in 1/2 MOA increments. Keep this in mind....

That said, I initially suspected they would not work. Upon closer inspection (without removing the sights) on my own equipment, I think they just might work. Maybe not "perfectly" but I think they would work, or it's worth a shot.

If you look at the photo, you can see slightly more space between the elevation wheel spring retaining roll pin on the A4 vs the A2. It's possibly a shorter spring in the A2, and that if you interchange, the elevation wheel using a 6/3 A4 sight assy in an 8/3 A2 upper will yield a slightly stiffer wheel. But I don't think it would be terribly noticeable. If anything, it's a plus.

For the cost of a surplus A4 sight ($35 shipped in many forums), it's worth a shot.

Otherwise:

$38 Del-Ton has an assy, but it's out of stock. Also need to confirm if it's 8/3 or 6/3 (you want 8/3)
    http://www.del-ton.com/Rear_Sight_Assembly_p/up1045.htm

$38 DPMS, again need to call to confirm A2 or A4
    http://www.dpmsinc.com/A2-Rear-Sight-Assembly_p_524.html

A2_Rear_Sight_Pa_4e0ca54ac67fa.jpg

4. shibbershabber

shibbershabber
    Vancouver

I ended up getting a sight from Olympic Arms, iirc

Got the whole rifle finished & am taking it out for the first time this week WP_20150401_21_33_01_Pro.jpg

Tbucket likes this.