JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have wiggled a lot of stocks at the range. None of them have been what I would call "rattle free". NONE! Not even the ACS or the STR. I tried the electrical tape with some success. I still thought I could do better. So, I tried sticking Velcro on the tube, where it would contact the stock. Much better. I used different lengths of the fuzzy part of the Velcro. Not the loop part.
Overall, much less rattle. Still not 100% rattle free. Maybe 95% now. Every bit as quiet as many high priced stocks. The stock is harder to move. I'm willing to accept that in exchange for less wiggle.

Reading about how some AR-15 owners complain about wobbly stocks and "unstaked" BCG bolts
makes me laugh- it's a sport rifle with definite military origins, and as such small details like a slightly loose stock or scratches on your rifle are nothing compared to weapon functionality and being able to hit the target you aim and shoot at- JMO.

Geno

Reading about how some AR-15 owners complain about wobbly stocks and "unstaked" BCG bolts
makes me laugh-
it's a sport rifle with definite military origins, and as such small details like a slightly loose stock or scratches on your rifle are nothing compared to weapon functionality and being able to hit the target you aim and shoot at- JMO.

Geno

Uhh...Since we are talking about the stock rattling here why wouldn't that be effecting cheek weld ?
I don't see the joke... or are you suggesting that "military origin" designs aren't worth considering accuracy ?

Pick up your AR with the rattily stock. And pull it into your shoulder.

Is it not tight when you apply a little muscle? ;)

From front to rear when pressure is applied yes, the tube is properly torqued.... From side to side however, no, hence the "rattle" that I refer to. Sure I could bury the butt into my shoulder that would reduce the felt movement, but that gets me back to the same idea as the cheek weld question...repeatability.

Been there done that, The Electrical tape, Fuzzy side velcro, and even a pop can section glued to the buffer tube, all work to some extent, but like others have pointed out, for a moving part, your going to have some movement some where! I like the Rogers stocks my self, Magpul does a nice job as well! Play with what you like and use some of the tips and tricks offered here to find what works best FOR YOU!

So, since you brought it up, I was thinking "my stock doesn't rattle" then I went and checked, yea, little bit of rattle in there. Just have the standard milspec tube and stock (from PSA).

I will have to consider the problem more carefully.

3M-SCOTCH-3750P-2-X-6-TAPE-STRIPS

I have this stuff I've used. 2" wide by 6" long. Like packing tape, but thicker. You can strip 1, 2, 3, or more layers as needed. Cut to desired width if necessary. I ran it lengthwise on top of the buffer tube. It's not necessary to cover the full length.

Wipe the buffer tube real good with tissues for cleaning reading classes, or rubbing alcohol before applying. Avoid touching the sticky side for best results.
https://www.amazon.com/3M-3750P-Scotchpad-Packaging-Clear/dp/B00007L6BO

Those that ride (or rode) motocross, it's similar to the peel-able goggle lenses.

I use nothing but the Rogers Super Stoc. No messing around. They just work!

Last Edited:
Alright dangit! You made me do it after reading two pages of this, hold on while i open the safe!

Alright, mine is still a stock (geddit?) mid 2000's era Bushmaster, it has a very slight rattle, but barely anything to be concerned out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top