JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm mounting up this new scope/rings on my varmint AR15 and I have a dumb question:

Since I've got a long neck, I'm most comfortable craning my neck forward quite a bit. But in order to get the eye relief I want, I'd have to put the front scope rings on the rail that is part of the gas block on the barrel. See pic below.... Is that ok, or should I take my lumps and make sure the rings are both on the rcvr.

And do the turrets need to be centered between the rings? I used to know about the centering (I think) but I've forgotten so much...

100_3033.JPG

Last Edited:
Buy one of the one piece mounts made just for ar's that cantilever forward.

Huh, I'll have to look that up. But I spent very few dollars on this scope and don't much want to put any money out. Are you saying that it does need to be all back on the receiver?

I would never mount a scope across the split. Handguards can shift. The top of the receiver can't. ;)

I've got a Burris PEPR 30mm one piece that was lapped by Vortex. If you could use it, I'm sure I could make you a deal you couldn't refuse!

I would never mount a scope across the split. Handguards can shift. The top of the receiver can't. ;)

I've got a Burris PEPR 30mm one piece that was lapped by Vortex. If you could use it, I'm sure I could make you a deal you couldn't refuse!

Okay. It's really not part of the cheese grater handguard, it's the gas block that has a rail on top. But if it's not good to mount across the split, I won't do it. Thx!

RE: Burris convo coming...

Hard to tell from the picture if the rail is a two piece drop in or a one piece clamped to the barrel nut.

I'd say you should be ok with it mounted as such if it is in fact a rail that is clamped or bolted to the barrel nut. You would be mounting it to the sturdiest point of the rail system so flex would be minimum if any.

Mounting optics to rails is ok as long as the rail is secured well and of good quality.

With that said, it is best to mount the optic on the receiver itself to eliminate risk of changing zero or damaging the optic.

Hard to tell from the picture if the rail is a two piece drop in or a one piece clamped to the barrel nut.

I'd say you should be ok with it mounted as such if it is in fact a rail that is clamped or bolted to the barrel nut. You would be mounting it to the sturdiest point of the rail system so flex would be minimum if any.

Mounting optics to rails is ok as long as the rail is secured well and of good quality.

With that said, it is best to mount the optic on the receiver itself to eliminate risk of changing zero or damaging the optic.

Thanx!!!

Yah, it's a two piece clam shell (cheap cheese grater handguard came with from Hardened Arms). I was thinking gas block but that would be at the other end, yes?

Thanx!!!

Yah, it's a two piece. I was thinking gas block but that would be at the other end, yes?
Drop in rail is usually attchached via the slip ring and hand guard cap. They are usually two pieces like a traditional hand guard.

Some bolt on free floats are two piece. I think yours is as your missing the slip ring assembly in the picture. That and it appears to be bolted/clamped to a barrel nut.

Buy one of the one piece mounts made just for ar's that cantilever forward.
Yes one piece mount cantilever forward. I like the Vortex 3 inch forward cantilever one piece mount.
Gets the scope far enough forward for proper cheek weld on the stock and nose on the charging handle.
Especially needed for a illuminated dot scope because they are long in the rear.

DSC00157.JPG
This PEPR mount is a sturdy mount but only available in 2 inch forward cant.
DSC00143.JPG

Aero precision makes a nice lightweight mount that I love. They take a little extra effort to get mounted because the way the clamp down on the scope but I think they are work it. The Vortex and Burris mounts are great as well. It all depends on what works and looks good to you in the end.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top