JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Put the level back in the woodshop. There's no need to "level" a scope.

Buy yourself a deck of cards for leveling.
Stack as many as as you can between the receiver and the flat under the scope, and tighten to spec.
That's about as good as it gets.
Look through the reticle. Is it level? Yes.
No?
Tight wad. Buy a better scope. LOL.

Maybe its not level cause its a cheapie from Amazon. :s0002::rolleyes:

Tight wad. Buy a better scope. LOL.

Yah, yah. Outside of the original question, I never said I didn't know how to set up a scope. Just said the reticle and the turrets are not aligned... how do I know that... I leveled the receiver and then the turret, then looked thru the scope.

Same problem exists to some extent on almost every scope made, even expensive ones. :p:p:p:D

Yah, yah. Outside of the original question, I never said I didn't know how to set up a scope. Just said the reticle and the turrets are not aligned... how do I know that... I leveled the receiver and then the turret, then looked thru the scope.

Same problem exists to some extent on almost every scope made, even expensive ones. :p:p:p:D
I don't have that issue. But my scopes are different. :rolleyes:

Yah, the rcvr is level, I always check that first.... And I have a good vise block on a level bench.

It IS a long scope. I figured it would be longer than my 4x12x50mm scope... this one's an 8x32x50mm. A cheapie from Amazon that I used a gift cert to buy. :eek:
I've settle on plumb bob method . Can't go wrong .... well you know lol .

Last Edited:
I've settle on plumb bob method . Can't go wrong .... well you know lol .

Here is an example of the next "size" in extension . Nice to center the turret in the mount but as long as the ring isn't on the radius it shouldn't matter , it's a sign that you want more eye relief usually .
View attachment 564248

Yes, I'm going to plumb bob it. I doubt I'll be using the turrets to change the POI rather than using the holdovers built into the reticle. It's a varmint rifle rather than for long range shooting. The high magnification factor is because I don't see for sch!t. We'll see what happens. Could be it's a useless toy. I don't care.

Who believes a clown???
Everyone but our true enemies, the mimes. o_O

Tbh I never had issue with the reticle turret mismatch except for the really cheap scopes I tried early on, and some ncstar scope some guy gave me with the wasr I got in a trade (which I never used).

If you have a glovebox and nitrogen you could try to take the scope apart and realign it but given cost, I'd say its a wired reticle. Might snap it.

Everyone but our true enemies, the mimes. o_O

Tbh I never had issue with the reticle turret mismatch except for the really cheap scopes I tried early on, and some ncstar scope some guy gave me with the wasr I got in a trade (which I never used).

If you have a glovebox and nitrogen you could try to take the scope apart and realign it but given cost, I'd say its a wired reticle. Might snap it.

At the price I paid, it's not worth any effort at all. :)

Even I wouldn't use an NCstar!!

Various forums are chock FULL of stories about turret/reticle mismatch. It would appear that you have been lucky. :)

Entertain this when you mount your scope .
Get your rifle level in a place where you can look down the scope while the rifle is mounted level , preferably in a place that gives you a minimum of 25 or 30 feet in front of the rifle that is clear
Hang a string with a weight that contrasts the background as far out in front of the muzzle as you can . You will need to play with placement quite a bit bit bit you will need to get the string right next to your post or hair or whatever vertical line that is in your reticle .
Rotate the scope to match the plumb line and tighten the rings using your preferred technique while peering through the scope as you go as some rings will slightly rotate a scope just as torque is met.
Once you get that perfect you have rifle that is perfectly coinsiding with the force that is pulling on your bullet while the rifle is being held level .

Yep... :)

At the price I paid, it's not worth any effort at all. :)

Even I wouldn't use an NCstar!!

Various forums are chock FULL of stories about turret/reticle mismatch. It would appear that you have been lucky. :)
For the most part I use prism scopes these days. I seldomly use other types of scopes.

For the most part I use prism scopes these days. I seldomly use other types of scopes.

I get it. Those seem to be popular for tactical shooting.

I wanted something with which I could enlarge a distant varmint/target with. I mean, my eyes, really suck. I suffer from diabetic macular edema... which has left me with a large dark/blank area of vision just off to the side of the center of vision in my dominant eye. If that wasn't bad enough, when they tried to make it better, the usual macular degeneration shots didn't work (those are fun... not). Then they tried a couple of intra-ocular steroid shots and the second shot dried up the edema but left me with crystals on my macula... in the center of my vision... visually similar to really really bad eye floaters... not cool. Soooo the 8x - 32x scope. I don't know if it will help so I didn't want to spend a bunch of money and I had a gift cert soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...

I get it. Those seem to be popular for tactical shooting.

I wanted something with which I could enlarge a distant varmint/target with. I mean, my eyes, really suck. I suffer from diabetic macular edema... which has left me with a large dark/blank area of vision just off to the side of the center of vision in my dominant eye. If that wasn't bad enough, when they tried to make it better, the usual macular degeneration shots didn't work (those are fun... not). Then they tried a couple of intra-ocular steroid shots and the second shot dried up the edema but left me with crystals on my macula... in the center of my vision... visually similar to really really bad eye floaters... not cool. Soooo the 8x - 32x scope. I don't know if it will help so I didn't want to spend a bunch of money and I had a gift cert soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
I suffer from astigmatism. The reason I stick to prism scopes is they're simple and don't have too much magnification, but at the same time not too little.

As for that scope, well maybe it will help. Better glass would help more but get what you can get and try it. I mean, its an AR, what damage can it do? It doesn't eat scopes like FALs and SCAR-17s do! :eek:

Better glass would help more

Perhaps. I don't need to see better (that eye still has 20/25 vision)... but there are areas I can't see. I just think that a sharper image would not be able to overcome the internal optics blockage problem of my eye. In contrast, I'm hoping a larger image will let me see "around" the problem somewhat.

I guess I'll see... or not. (Puns are said to be the lowest form of humor.) ;)

Last Edited:
There are lots out there mine is Areo . IMG_20180828_205729.jpg IMG_20180814_185514.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top