JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey guys, anybody know if the bushmaster x-15 is a good AR platform, I have a mini 14 but would like to upgrade to an AR. Something that I can suppress. Am in the process of getting a DPMS/Panther RFLR-REC right now for a hunting platform. Its pretty badass

I am not an elitist when it comes to AR's, they are all fine for what you want them for. If you want an entry level weapon they are readily available, mid level and high end AR's will set you back allot of $$$ and will have a wait time.
Seriously though I love my Bushy X-15 E2s with an Adams Arms piston kit and Vortex Strikefire red dot scope. I can repeatedly tag the metal man (6" plate) at 100 yrds. That's all I'm lookin for, reliability.
I don't need a tacticool logo or do dads to impress the boys at the range...

You can find a ton of information (pictures, selection criteria, thread-on versus quick disconnect, muzzle devices, etc.) perusing the multiple threads about suppressors in the NFA section of the NWFA site (NFA Weapons)

That being said, most AR's these days sport a threaded barrel with fairly standard threads (unless, of course, it is headed to the people's republic of California, or some other militantly anti-gun state). You have the option to acquire either a thread-on suppressor that requires the removal of the muzzle device prior to use or a QD alternative that uses the muzzle device as the attachment point (flash hider, muzzle brake, etc.).

I don't own a Bushmaster so YMMV but I'm sure there's a way to accommodate your desire to suppress your future AR. It's always a matter of cost, feasibility and reliability.

Good luck.

Yes Bushmaster makes a good rifle.

To use a silencer you need a way to attach it to the gun. There is threaded, Special mounts and even one that fits over standard Nato flash hider. Each has its advantages and disadvantages.

If you buy a rifle that is not threaded then you can have a gunsmith thread it for you but in most cases it is better just to get what you need in the first place.

If the Barrel is 16", or more inches, the muzzle device most of the time wont be pinned, and welded.
That will allow you to add a muzzle device that excepts suppressor, or you can just get a suppressor that uses the barrels thread.. The piston AR run clearer with suppressor, unless you get a Direct Impingements with an adjustable gas block.

If the barrel is less than 16" the flash hider must be pinned & welded (like the Bushy X-15 is) so if you pull the flash hider off and attach a suppressor then it too must be pinned and welded, per law.

I don't think this has been covered in this thread yet, so the reason for this is that the barrel length must be 16" or more. If the muzzle device (flash hider, break, suppressor, whatever) is permanently attached, it's part of the barrel and counts when you measure the length. Rifles with barrels shorter than 16" are considered a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) and require a tax stamp under the National Firearms Act (NFA), just like the suppressor that you want.

All of the above, of course, is just my opinion, and is not meant to be considered legal advice.

The best ARs are not in any particular order are Colt, Bravo Company "They have developed quite a reputation in quality" or Daniel Defense. Palmetto state Armorys premium rifles are good as well. You have to realize some of the manufactures use non mil spec metals in their manufacture of their so called made to mil spec rifles.

There are also many rifles not made to mil spec that are WAY better then mil spec. The ONLY thing that mil spec means is that it was built to that specification. That does not make it better or worse. Like when any other company wants a specific product. It makes a contract with the supplier and it is made to that spec.

I don't think this has been covered in this thread yet, so the reason for this is that the barrel length must be 16" or more. If the muzzle device (flash hider, break, suppressor, whatever) is permanently attached, it's part of the barrel and counts when you measure the length. Rifles with barrels shorter than 16" are considered a Short Barreled Rifle (SBR) and require a tax stamp under the National Firearms Act (NFA), just like the suppressor that you want.

All of the above, of course, is just my opinion, and is not meant to be considered legal advice.

Just quoting the laws on SBR's & without the flash hider the suppressor will have to be pinned & welded to pass muster with the ATF guys.
I have this same model & opted for a new 16" heavy barrel to put the AA piston on (my GS said he didn't want to mess with separating the FH from the BBL).

Just quoting the laws on SBR's & without the flash hider the suppressor will have to be pinned & welded to pass muster with the ATF guys.
I have this same model & opted for a new 16" heavy barrel to put the AA piston on (my GS said he didn't want to mess with separating the FH from the BBL).

Absolutely. Wasn't correcting you, just wanted to make things clear for the OP.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top