AR pistol 7.5" problem.

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by biggie24420, Jul 14, 2017.

1. gryghin

gryghin
    Beaverton
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Have you verified that the pistol upper is not suspect by using it on a different pistol lower, with all the associated BCGs and buffers that exhibited the problem on the Aero lower?

If you don't have one available, I'd be willing to meet up at Wolf Creek Road, so that a proper test could be done.

2. Reco

Reco
    Portland Oregon

3. 308

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Silver Supporter

If it is short stroking, he can open the gas port a bit. I did that with my shorty FAL several years ago and it ran perfect afterwards.

biggie24420 and Velzey like this.
  4. biggie24420

biggie24420
    Beaverton Oregon

No I haven't done that. The only other lower I have is my M4 lower and that'd obviously be a no no. I appreciate the offer but I'm gonna wait till I install the new catch and go shoot it. I will PM you if I decide to take you up in that offer.
    Thank you!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
    gryghin likes this.
  5. biggie24420

biggie24420
    Beaverton Oregon

That was one of my earlier thoughts but shooting my M4 16" upper on that pistol lower, same issue with the BCG, wouldn't lock back. That threw me off a bit but I like the pistol so one way or another...... I'll get to the bottom of this.

gryghin likes this.
  6. Kruejl

Kruejl
    Hillsboro
    Moderator of the Coriolis effect Staff Member Gold Supporter

Try a lighter buffer spring.

Velzey likes this.
  7. biggie24420

biggie24420
    Beaverton Oregon

The original carbine spring from the Stag M4 was used originally. That spring is the lightest out of the 4 springs I have. I've used the one out of my spikes M4, the Stag spring (one I just mentioned), and my new Wolff and Colt..... same result, no BCG lock back after last round.

8. Garg

Garg
    east of portland metro
    Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

It's gotta be that dang fancy bolt catch. Replace that then check back in with us.

gryghin and Stomper like this.
  9. biggie24420

biggie24420
    Beaverton Oregon

Ya my package from MidwayUSA will be here on the 25th and I plan on taking the GF shooting on her birthday next month so That's when I'll be testing the new catch lever.

Unless I find a private property to go shoot a few rounds on, I'll have to wait a while. Every time I go to the range, it's $30 or so...... it's getting old lol. Ya I could go to the woods but my car doesn't like to go off road..

10. Stomper

Stomper
    SCREW YOU SALEM!!
    SCREW YOU SALEM! Gold Supporter

You need one of these babies!

IMG_4403.GIF

biggie24420 likes this.
  11. Garg

Garg
    east of portland metro
    Hold my beer..... watch this Bronze Supporter

Well, you are welcome to come out to my place, and test it here. We could tech that thing just right, test the bolt catch, change it out, test different uppers, lowers, what ever you want, and I wont charge you $30. I am on the other side of the world though lol....out towards Estacada...

biggie24420 likes this.
  12. Mygrainman

Mygrainman
    SW WA

Does it have one of those "pig tail" gas tubes? I've heard of those causing short stroke issues.

13. biggie24420

biggie24420
    Beaverton Oregon

No it's a pistol length gas tube. It's even shorter than the M4 gas tube.....it's kinda cute and adorable lol. I wanna replace it with a melonite coated gas tube eventually.