JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bet it does. The BCG will be locked back in the charged position when you tactically reload. If the bolt is forward, you will have to give it a little nudge to lock the mag in place. Every AR I have ever owned was like that.

Yes. It has always worked fine with the BCG in the rear position it is just a bubblegum to get seat the mag when the bolt is forward.

Also, a tactical reload is removing a partially depleted magazine and putting in a full magazine with a round still in the chamber and retaining the partially spent mag during a pause in the gunfight to prevent running dry.

Demonstration with a rifle:
This guy kind of verbally explains the concept but with a pistol:

An emergency reload/speed reload is when you dump your mag at the target and quickly transition to a new mag (thus the bolt would be in the rear position). That wouldn't be a problem and most of the time, this is what is going to happen but our firearms instructors taught both so I want to train both ways.

In the case of the bolt being forward and under duress, I am not sure I would be able to do a tactical reload effectively. This is especially true because with a tactical reload, there is a higher probability of fumbling the mag than an emergency reload. Every time I did shooting drills with our agency's ARs, I never had this problem, especially with a mag that didn't have a full 30 rounds.

For the purposes of an actual gunfight, the possibility of having to do a tactical reload is low... but you never know.

There have been issues with some pmags that had an overtravel tab out of spec, needs filed down.

I had same problem and asked here and found that solution where it was shown to be those specific pmag fault. (Not all pmags had the issue). Cant find the thread at the moment. Also a spikes lower...

Took those few pmags and filed the tab a tiny bit and problem solved.

You'll never HAVE to do a tactical reload (less confusingly, albeit less coolly, called a magazine exchange), it's something you choose to do if there's a break in the gunfire.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top